Braeden Carrington in the Portal

Lol. He's the one I'd have least expected to leave.
He is the one I most expected. If you read between the lines, he was out indefinitely around the holidays for "mental health" reasons and then there were rumors he was going to leave but his mom went on twitter and said that was wrong. However, his mom did not say he was happy and imply he was here for the long term. I think there was smoke and I expected him to go.

Last edited:

I think this is all about NIL. Would be nice to keep him but at what sacrifice. NIL would be better spent elsewhere.

The NIL environment sucks.

The ones to keep are Christie, Hawkins and Garcia. That is a tough goal.
Carrington had a problem with Johnson. BC thinks he is better than Mitchell and resents an outsider coming in to start ahead of him.

He is the one I most expected. If you read between the lines, he was out indefinitely around the holidays for "mental health" reasons and then there were rumors he was going to leave but his mom went on twitter and said that was wrong. However, his mom did not say he was happy and imply he was here for the long term. I think there was smoke and I expected him to go.
He was having off the wall delusions that he should be getting a ton of NIL opportunities.

What program is going to dish out legit NIL money for a 6'3" guard who can't shoot(22% from 3 is AWFUL)? That delusion on Carrington's part alone should raise huge red flags for any program considering him.

Imagine you're a fan of Random State University, one that can afford to pay decent NIL money. Now imagine they announce Carrington is transferring in. They look at the stats. The record. His history. What do you think the fan reaction would be? Probably the exact same as any coach at that school, which means its not happening for him.

He could join Thompson at Stetson and get some free Joe's Crab Shack meals for his NIL. That's as good as it's going to get for him.

With Asuma coming in, if Mitchell and Hawkins stay, Carrington continues to come off the bench as 3rd or 4th guard. How much of this is about PT?

He was having off the wall delusions that he should be getting a ton of NIL opportunities.
Can someone tell him those voices he is hearing that tell him he is worth a big NIL package…they are in his head.

Addition by subtraction with him.

Perhaps. I guess I believed the story since he did come back. He's a local kid, he was playing quite a bit and he's not going to get much more playing time or $$ going elsewhere unless he goes down a level for more PT.

Finding more consistent guard(s) is a big part of improving the team in 2024.

You can't have a guy playing 20+ minutes as #2 in the Big Ten whose one tangible skill is rebounding.

Anyone with any basketball sense knows you are trying to find a guy who will eat into BC's minutes. I think Asuma will do that some, and Ben was on guards in the portal early.

The "lockdown" D perception is far-fetched. He had a few games where he was excellent, but there were also atrocious efforts.

If BC "wasn't getting what earned" this year (quoted in another thread), he won't be a happy camper in 2024/2025 if Ben is doing his job.

This should tell you everything you need to know about this kid's loyalty. I know a lot of people had hissy fits earlier in the year when I said IF he is looking to portal, it's a slap in the face to Ben Johnson and program.

Well, it looks like the kid shows absolutely no loyalty. We supported him through his battles with mental health and he got constant PT despite not being a big performer and turns his back on the program and the coach that had his back through it.

Good riddance and good luck collecting that bag.
It sucks, but you were right.

Spin zone - i have been teammates with guys who have bad attitudes and it generally brings the whole team down with them. If the three sophomores were being pains in the ass/malcontents about PT and money, maybe some of the guys are glad theyre leaving and will be more likely to stay? I dont know the answer there but today has reminded me that 19 year olds do not think the same way us adults do hahahah
I often want to go back to my 19 year old self, when I knew everything and had the world by the balls. Then life happened and blew my delusions to smithereens. :p

Finding more consistent guard(s) is a big part of improving the team in 2024.

You can't have a guy playing 20+ minutes as #2 in the Big Ten whose one tangible skill is rebounding.

Anyone with any basketball sense knows you are trying to find a guy who will eat into BC's minutes. I think Asuma will do that some, and Ben was on guards in the portal early.

The "lockdown" D perception is far-fetched. He had a few games where he was excellent, but there were also atrocious efforts.

If BC "wasn't getting what earned" this year (quoted in another thread), he won't be a happy camper in 2024/2025 if Ben is doing his job.
This one is no worries. Asuma is better than BC right now and will be solid on both ends of the court.

Sad to see this happen. However, don't feel Braeden deserves tons more NIL money. That is a lot of expectations, for a 7th man.

On a larger level, knee jerk reaction is if we have to keep coming up with more and more NIL money, why don't we as a university just drop out of the Big Ten and choose to compete in a league like the Mountain West? The Big Ten doesn't really mean anything or stand for anything anymore, expect $. I recall loving the BigTen when I was a little boy circa 1969 or so. But it really does not mean he same thing in 2024, and I really don't see the value of trying to financially compete with Michigan, OSU, USC etc.
We’re not competing. We’re riding their coattails. And they will tell us that every time we try to make a point about competive balance.

It's an unfortunate reality in this Wild West of college basketball. Nobody to filter the noise from outside and nobody to really know if they will get paid what they're being told. In many cases, they won't see these actual amounts.
I would say in almost all cases.

Sad to see this happen. However, don't feel Braeden deserves tons more NIL money. That is a lot of expectations, for a 7th man.

On a larger level, knee jerk reaction is if we have to keep coming up with more and more NIL money, why don't we as a university just drop out of the Big Ten and choose to compete in a league like the Mountain West? The Big Ten doesn't really mean anything or stand for anything anymore, expect $. I recall loving the BigTen when I was a little boy circa 1969 or so. But it really does not mean he same thing in 2024, and I really don't see the value of trying to financially compete with Michigan, OSU, USC etc.
The Big Ten TV contract is worth 60 million to the U of M. We just don't invest it back into winning.

Buy them all memberships to the Vu....

What program is going to dish out legit NIL money for a 6'3" guard who can't shoot(22% from 3 is AWFUL)? That delusion on Carrington's part alone should raise huge red flags for any program considering him.

Imagine you're a fan of Random State University, one that can afford to pay decent NIL money. Now imagine they announce Carrington is transferring in. They look at the stats. The record. His history. What do you think the fan reaction would be? Probably the exact same as any coach at that school, which means its not happening for him.

He could join Thompson at Stetson and get some free Joe's Crab Shack meals for his NIL. That's as good as it's going to get for him.
Your fist paragraph. No one.

This isn't about nil.

This isn't so much about missing one player while not the others. The worrisome part is all of them leaving. They were supposed to be "his" guys. The first real class and they all bolted. Really bad look.

Many of the players we expected would be "his guys" have left: Gabe, Battle, 3 MN sophomores, etc.

Go Gophers!!

I’m inclined to agree that this is off the wall delusional.

However, when compared to base rates, his peer group seems to think someone should be paying for their college…. Perhaps it’s just because he comes from “the weakest generation.”

I'll keep playing the game and seeing what transfers we pull in, but it's gotta be all but over here for Ben.
He will be given a chance to pull a rabbit out of a hat in the off season, and by then, one way or another, it'll be too late to change horses. If he was going to be fired, it would have been immediate. I believe we're committed, even if it's a long death march.

Top Bottom