Braeden Carrington in the Portal

I would have put odds of Payne staying at 70/30 and Carrington at 90/10. Having them be the first to go doesn't bode well at all. Garcia and Chrisie are likely to follow and even Hawkins would have to reconsider at that point.
They are all gone IMO.

Might keep the 2 guards only because they just transferred last year. Unreal how this can happen so fast.

Sad to see this happen. However, don't feel Braeden deserves tons more NIL money. That is a lot of expectations, for a 7th man.

On a larger level, knee jerk reaction is if we have to keep coming up with more and more NIL money, why don't we as a university just drop out of the Big Ten and choose to compete in a league like the Mountain West? The Big Ten doesn't really mean anything or stand for anything anymore, expect $. I recall loving the BigTen when I was a little boy circa 1969 or so. But it really does not mean he same thing in 2024, and I really don't see the value of trying to financially compete with Michigan, OSU, USC etc.

Last edited:

Carrington, Payne and JOJ all believe they should have been starting and receiving big NIL payments.

Easily replaced Guards who can’t shoot or handle aren’t ideal .Got a few rebounds and maybe could defend a little. Payne on the other hand huge loss. The two aren’t in the same universe.

They are all gone IMO.

Might keep the 2 guards only because they just transferred last year. Unreal how this can happen so fast.
I would question if they keep Mitchell or Hawkins at this point. One or both might leave based on what’s happening. It’s a shit show at this point. It more relationship based than NIL in some of these situations.

I would question if they keep Mitchell or Hawkins at this point. One or both might leave based on what’s happening. It’s a shit show at this point. It more relationship based than NIL in some of these situations.
If this is it for transfers, I wouldn't call it a shit show. If (I know, a big if) Christie and Garcia come back, I think the roster is still ok. Obviously have some spots to fill.

Now if one or both of those guys leave, then I would agree.

Spin zone - i have been teammates with guys who have bad attitudes and it generally brings the whole team down with them. If the three sophomores were being pains in the ass/malcontents about PT and money, maybe some of the guys are glad theyre leaving and will be more likely to stay? I dont know the answer there but today has reminded me that 19 year olds do not think the same way us adults do hahahah

Spin zone - i have been teammates with guys who have bad attitudes and it generally brings the whole team down with them. If the three sophomores were being pains in the ass/malcontents about PT and money, maybe some of the guys are glad theyre leaving and will be more likely to stay? I dont know the answer there but today has reminded me that 19 year olds do not think the same way us adults do hahahah
Plausible. But we've also been fed spin about how together this team was and how much they loved playing for each other etc.

Plausible. But we've also been fed spin about how together this team was and how much they loved playing for each other etc.
I mean this is what i had thought too, so not really sure. The togetherness thing could have been a smokescreen for issues happening, but either way if these guys dont want to be here i'm fine ripping the bandaid off and going and finding some guys who do

This is also me as a tortured MN sports fan rationalizing things until Cam or Garcia leave and i lose all hope

Nobody that has known Carrington or Payne since HS and their recruitment would have ever guessed these outcomes. But the landscape has changed greatly in a couple years and other teams reaching out planting seeds in the heads of people close to these kids can obviously impact things.

If this is it for transfers, I wouldn't call it a shit show. If (I know, a big if) Christie and Garcia come back, I think the roster is still ok. Obviously have some spots to fill.

Fair. But the odds of that are slim....

Nobody that has known Carrington or Payne since HS and their recruitment would have ever guessed these outcomes. But the landscape has changed greatly in a couple years and other teams reaching out planting seeds in the heads of people close to these kids can obviously impact things.
Payne I get. Whoever is convincing JOJ and Carrington that they have big NIL coming is a heck of a BS'er.

could be playing time - could be issues with the Coach - could be wanting to get away from home - could be a lot of things.

in the end, regardless of the "why" - this is where college sports are at right now. there are no rules - at least no rules that any governing organization is trying to enforce.

maybe there is a magic coach out there who can overcome all of those forces. If there is, would that coach be willing to take the Gophers' job - and would the U of MN be willing to pay that coach the salary it would take to convince him to come to MN?

programs like the Gophers - struggling programs that belong to a Major conference - are in a really tough situation.
There is a magic coach out there. He is the one who is willing to donate three or four million of his salary each year to DA.

Payne I get. Whoever is convincing JOJ and Carrington that they have big NIL coming is a heck of a BS'er.

It's an unfortunate reality in this Wild West of college basketball. Nobody to filter the noise from outside and nobody to really know if they will get paid what they're being told. In many cases, they won't see these actual amounts.

I think this is all about NIL. Would be nice to keep him but at what sacrifice. NIL would be better spent elsewhere.

The NIL environment sucks.

The ones to keep are Christie, Hawkins and Garcia. That is a tough goal.

We lost basically Payne which is bad. The other two just guys who made or would make little impact.

Probably the same person who convinced Payne he should tie his NIL opportunities to JOJ and Carrington.

This should tell you everything you need to know about this kid's loyalty. I know a lot of people had hissy fits earlier in the year when I said IF he is looking to portal, it's a slap in the face to Ben Johnson and program.

Well, it looks like the kid shows absolutely no loyalty. We supported him through his battles with mental health and he got constant PT despite not being a big performer and turns his back on the program and the coach that had his back through it.

Good riddance and good luck collecting that bag.

Top Bottom