Brady Pretzlaff de commits from MN.

Looks like he will be following Rossi to Michigan State.

Quite the shitty week for football recruiting. All our prized recruits are evaporating!

can't get inside a kid's head, so we don't know what he's thinking. And we don't know who he is talking to or receiving advice from.

on top of that, we don't know what - if any - NIL offers he may be receiving.

hey, it stinks. in the good old days, a recruit chose the school he liked the most. and in general, once a kid announced a commitment, most (but not all) other schools would back off. it was a lot simpler. Now, recruits are dealing with social media. other schools are more aggressive in trying to flip recruits. and NIL is now part of the picture.

NIL has become the "Fight Club" of recruiting. Nobody talks directly about it, but it's always lurking just below the surface.

bottom line - Kid A will not go to MN. that means there is an opportunity for Kid B to go to MN.

Agreed. I've been pleasantly surprised with the incoming portal commits.
With the portal being what it is, who even knows how long these guys will stay at the school they commit to?
The explosion of the portal hasn't made high school recruiting irrelevant but it has definitely pushed it even more to the back burner.

I can remember when there was thread after thread on the board obsessing about star rankings and in large part those have gone away because with the extreme roster churn it is kind of pointless to get overly wrapped up in a recruit that might jump ship after a year or two and never actually take the field for the team he committed to.

It will be interesting to see how it all shakes out in the end but so far the 2023/24 portal period doesn't seem like it is going to hurt us much for 2024 since the majority of our key players have indicated they are coming back. And we have already found a replacement for Athan (at least for 2024).

Quite the shitty week for football recruiting. All our prized recruits are evaporating!
Im hoping he’s not the diamond we had imagined he was. Sure took a long time for the instate guys to offer.

Hopefully the Gophers will have a shot at Pretzlaff in a year or two when he goes into "the Portal".

247 has Rossi recruiting him at MSU so I'm assume that's where Pretzlaff is headed. MSU has a shit ton of players transferring out, so maybe he thinks he's got a better shot at early playing time at MSU versus backing up Maverick and Lindenberg at MN.

I wonder if Fleck dips into the portal or recruits another HS LB to fill this slot?

247 has Rossi recruiting him at MSU so I'm assume that's where Pretzlaff is headed. MSU has a shit ton of players transferring out, so maybe he thinks he's got a better shot at early playing time at MSU versus backing up Maverick and Lindenberg at MN.

I wonder if Fleck dips into the portal or recruits another HS LB to fill this slot?
What? Kids are leaving Michigan State too?:p

To me that’s just a little dirty to recruit an already committed kit to your new school. Happens all the time though I’m sure and believe PJ did it himself as well. You’d think a coordinator would have a little more respect for his former boss than that though. Hope PJ sticks it to them when we play next and piles on the points.

Last edited:

More and more the inmates are running the aslym.

Really taking the shine off of the college football game for me.

Why have allegiance to a team or program when you have no idea who you will be rooting for? Why pay for 4 season tickets and not just buy a single where there is someone you want to watch playing?

I am rethinking my whole program.

Why have allegiance to a team or program when you have no idea who you will be rooting for? Why pay for 4 season tickets and not just buy a single where there is someone you want to watch playing?

I understand the broader point you are making, but kids de-committing is hardly anything new.

The explosion of the portal hasn't made high school recruiting irrelevant but it has definitely pushed it even more to the back burner.

I can remember when there was thread after thread on the board obsessing about star rankings and in large part those have gone away because with the extreme roster churn it is kind of pointless to get overly wrapped up in a recruit that might jump ship after a year or two and never actually take the field for the team he committed to.

It will be interesting to see how it all shakes out in the end but so far the 2023/24 portal period doesn't seem like it is going to hurt us much for 2024 since the majority of our key players have indicated they are coming back. And we have already found a replacement for Athan (at least for 2024).
Truth. I used to follow recruiting pretty closely. Not anymore - I pretty much ignore so-called commitments.

Not sure I classify high schoolers who haven’t signed anything “inmates”

It would be interesting to see what percentage of recruits play all 4-6 years in one program now compared to say 10-15 years ago.

I think some of the angst, although I expected more, is the praise and atta boys that go around when someone "commits". Then when they un commit, well they weren't that good anyway.
Truth is there is a good chance the replacement will be close to the same in ability. It just makes you feel bad during the breakup.

Do t give two shits about this kid or the Prior Lake kid it’s all about Perich.

Do t give two shits about this kid or the Prior Lake kid it’s all about Perich.
Well, Perich said, "Nothing is a done deal," after visiting Ohio State. Come to think of it, that gives me the same amount of confidence that I had when Tyus Jones said the Gophers were in his Final Five or Top Three or whatever the hell it was when he knew already damn well knew that he was going to Duke.

PJ needs to get a pipeline to God so he can influence these kids. 😇 Just sayin'

Top Bottom