Bracketology as of 1/29

jjgopher

Reaction score
I'll try to update my bracket to go along with SS's, as much as possible.

Some things to remember when doing a bracketology that can fluctuate a team's seed

1. Team from the same conference aren't put in the same Sweet 16 bracket
2. They try not to have repeat matchups from the regular season as 1st round games
3. They try to keep higher seed teams as close to home as possible, and with the pod system, even let's say a team like Villanova, who is the #1 out West, will still play their first 2 games in the East Coast

East South Midwest West

1. Villanova Syracuse Kansas Kentucky
2. Michigan St. Duke W. Virginia Texas
3. Kansas St. Georgetown Purdue Gonzaga
4. Tennessee Temple Wisconsin BYU
5. Georgia Tech Ohio St. Vanderbilt Pitt
6. Butler Ole Miss Wake Forest New Mexico
7. Clemson Norther Iowa UAB Cal
8. UNLV Mississippi St. UConn Florida State
9. Missouri Oklahoma St. Maryland Baylor
10. Rhode Island Xavier Texas A&M UNC
11. Louisville Cornell St. Mary's Cincinatti
12. Richmond Virginia Tech Old Dominion. Florida
13. College of Charleston Akron Louisiana Tech Siena
14. Pacific IUPUI Maine Coastal Carolina
15. Murray St. Morgan State Sam Houston St. Weber St.
16. Lafayette Quinnipiac Arkansas St. Campbell

LAST FOUR IN: Richmond, Virginia Tech, Florida, Cincinatti

Last Four Out: Charlotte, Dayton, Virginia, Wichita State

Next Four Out: Minnesota, Illinois, Seton Hall, Tulsa

I'll try to update my bracket to go along with SS's, as much as possible.

Some things to remember when doing a bracketology that can fluctuate a team's seed

1. Team from the same conference aren't put in the same Sweet 16 bracket
2. They try not to have repeat matchups from the regular season as 1st round games
3. They try to keep higher seed teams as close to home as possible, and with the pod system, even let's say a team like Villanova, who is the #1 out West, will still play their first 2 games in the East Coast

East South Midwest West

1. Villanova Syracuse Kansas Kentucky
2. Michigan St. Duke W. Virginia Texas
3. Kansas St. Georgetown Purdue Gonzaga
4. Tennessee Temple Wisconsin BYU
5. Georgia Tech Ohio St. Vanderbilt Pitt
6. Butler Ole Miss Wake Forest New Mexico
7. Clemson Norther Iowa UAB Cal
8. UNLV Mississippi St. UConn Florida State
9. Missouri Oklahoma St. Maryland Baylor
10. Rhode Island Xavier Texas A&M UNC
11. Louisville Cornell St. Mary's Cincinatti
12. Richmond Virginia Tech Old Dominion. Florida
13. College of Charleston Akron Louisiana Tech Siena
14. Pacific IUPUI Maine Coastal Carolina
15. Murray St. Morgan State Sam Houston St. Weber St.
16. Lafayette Quinnipiac Arkansas St. Campbell

LAST FOUR IN: Richmond, Virginia Tech, Florida, Cincinatti

Last Four Out: Charlotte, Dayton, Virginia, Wichita State

Next Four Out: Minnesota, Illinois, Seton Hall, Tulsa

IMO, about where the Gophs should be. If they win at OSU would you have them in?

Couple things to point out--

Alot of people assume we're doomed to the NIT, but we actually still are not in that bad of shape. We are definitely squarely on the bubble, and a win at Ohio State this weekend would put us on the "In" side of the of bubble.

Also, after the OSU game, we have a stretch @PSU, Michigan, @NW, Indiana, Wisconsin, Purdue. There are 3 chances for quality wins there and I believe they are all winnable. We go 5-1 over that stretch, we are mostly likely in. And i really don't think it would be asking for a miracle for that to happen.

Let's let this thing play out. @NW, Wisconsin, Purdue, @Michigan, @Illinois are all games that could go either way. Find 3 wins in this group, and we are in.

For now let's assume, automatic loss @OSU, and automatic wins @PSU, Indiana, Michigan, Iowa. That puts us at 8 wins. Like I said, find 3 wins in the above group and that puts us at 11-7 and safely in the tournament.

IMHO, we are looking at a 4-6 seed in the BTT. If we are 10-8 heading into the BTT, a win might be needed. A 4-5 matchup would probably pit us against either Wisconsin or Ohio State. A 6-11 matchup would be against Penn State, which wouldn't help us, so then we would be looking at going up against the 3 seed, which also would probably be Wisconsin or Ohio State.

One other thing to point out, our RPI currently sits at 52. We need to get it into the high 30's, low 40's, and wins will obviously help that.

Believe it or not our strength of schedule is 28th in the country. How is it that high you ask? Well 2 games against Michigan State obviously helps. But also looks at some of the "no-name" teams that we faced at the Barn earlier this year are doing

Stephen F. Austin 14-5
Portland 13-7
Morgan State 14-7
SDSU 11-10
Tennessee Tech 11-10

Also:
Butler 16-4
Texas AM 14-6
Miami FL 15-5

One other thing to point out, our RPI currently sits at 52. We need to get it into the high 30's, low 40's, and wins will obviously help that.

Believe it or not our strength of schedule is 28th in the country. How is it that high you ask? Well 2 games against Michigan State obviously helps. But also looks at some of the "no-name" teams that we faced at the Barn earlier this year are doing

Stephen F. Austin 14-5
Portland 13-7
Morgan State 14-7
SDSU 11-10
Tennessee Tech 11-10

Also:
Butler 16-4
Texas AM 14-6
Miami FL 15-5

Interesting. It appears that at least SOME of the Gophers' OOC opponents are having decent seasons.

Not much love for the Big 10 with only 4 teams making the field. The Big East and ACC both have 8 teams, the Big 12 has 7 and the SEC has 6. The woeful Pac 10 has only 1 team making the field. Of the non-BCS conferences, the Atlantic 10 fares well with 4 teams in the field with Charlotte and Dayton being strong contenders to break into the final 65 - could the Atlantic 10 actually get 6 bids?

Not much love for the Big 10 with only 4 teams making the field. The Big East and ACC both have 8 teams, the Big 12 has 7 and the SEC has 6. The woeful Pac 10 has only 1 team making the field. Of the non-BCS conferences, the Atlantic 10 fares well with 4 teams in the field with Charlotte and Dayton being strong contenders to break into the final 65 - could the Atlantic 10 actually get 6 bids?

No, at the max I see 5. They will beat each other up too much over the next month to get 6 teams in. But they will at least get 3, and at the max get 5

Interesting. It appears that at least SOME of the Gophers' OOC opponents are having decent seasons.

Don't get too excited about our OOC opponents won-lost record. Most of those wins are against weak conference opponents in very weak leagues.

Don't get too excited about our OOC opponents won-lost record. Most of those wins are against weak conference opponents in very weak leagues.

Exactly. I'm not saying they are quality wins. Just saying that they're records are not terrible, and some of them are faring well in their respective conferences, which is helping the SOS. That's why IMHO, SOS is overrated when it comes to getting a bid, even though SOS plays a large part in RPI. It's actually pretty contradicting. That's why I believe the biggest thing to look at when picking teams that are on the bubble is who you beat, and where you beat them.

NIT Bound?

I have yet to believe that this year's team is NIT bound and based on how it has gone this far, I'm not sure I am going to feel sure either way until after the big ten tourney plays out. It is easy to be down on them because of all the losses because they had a very good chance at winning most of them. The only games that they didn't have a very good chance of winning were Purdue and MSU#1. The rest of the losses were still very close games w/ under 5 minutes to go. I feel that they "just" have to learn to put up some offense (a motion offense would be nice) in the last 5 min instead of just standing around like pins in a pinball machine. The trouble is, the only time that they have done this against good teams is against butler and ohio state. Hopefully they start finishing games before the btt.

Top Bottom