Bracketography has us in as a 10 seed

jjgopher

Reaction score
Bracketography.com, always one of if not the most accurate bracketology, currently has us pretty safely in the tournament as a 10 seed, playing Marquette in the 1st round, with a potential matchup with Kansas State in the 2nd round. Wow is all I have to say about that

that's pretty shocking. Marquette a 7 seed? Yes they are one of the top 5 in the bracketolgy department every year. I honestly thing we have work left to do. Having us at a 10 seed would probably mean that we could lose one more. Idk im skeptical about this one, but it stands as great news I guess!

Cant beliece we'd be a 10 seed with an RPI of 60 right now, but what do I know...

Haha if this is true then we have a solid shot at the Sweet 16

i think people discount the close loss to purdue. in assume its just a L. the selection committee is not the BCS algorithm. they look at more than just records or RPIs, they look at the big games, and the fact that we lost by only 1 point against mich st and purdue will probably be a positive for us considering where we are (whereas it wouldnt count for much if we were 'ranked' higher in the rpi...)..i think this can be attributed to something akin to a measure of ken pom's luck factor, which has us ranked as the 26th best team, if only for the bad luck factor (see close losses)

All-time Accuracy Statistics

* All teams: 574 / 585 (.981)
* At-large teams: 295 / 306 (.964)
* Within one line of exact seed*: 493 / 585 (.843)
* Exact seed: 269 / 585 (.460)

damn. thats all i can say.

We also gotta remember that other bubble teams are playing just as crappy as we were. We may get in through the backdoor due to the lackluster tournament field. When you have only 1 team coming out of the PAC-10, that shows you how pitiful the tournament field is this year. And honestly, the Gophers can beat those teams on the bubble. I'm not just saying that cause I'm a gopher fan, but if you look at the other bubble teams, the Gophers definitely pass the eye test. I don't know how much the eye test is worth in the committee room, but it's gotta count for something.

We also play in a tough conference as opposed to some of the A-10 schools. I don't think Richmond or Rhode Island would stand much of a chance in the B10. So yes, we have a good shot. We may not get in the pretty way, but we can do it.

i think people discount the close loss to purdue. in assume its just a L. the selection committee is not the BCS algorithm. they look at more than just records or RPIs, they look at the big games, and the fact that we lost by only 1 point against mich st and purdue will probably be a positive for us considering where we are (whereas it wouldnt count for much if we were 'ranked' higher in the rpi...)..i think this can be attributed to something akin to a measure of ken pom's luck factor, which has us ranked as the 26th best team, if only for the bad luck factor (see close losses)

The official answer is that they don't look at scoring margins. But they also admit to thier being an 'eyeball' test. And certainly, the way we played against MSU and Purdue would pass any reasonable person eyeball test when comparing us to the other teams on the bubble.

Also if I am not mistaken doesnt the committe also look at how well a team is playing at the point of the decision making process? If we have won 4 out of our last 5 heading into the BTT then I think thats a huge plus over a couple teams like VT and Illinois who are reeling.. 2 of those 4 wins are also road wins, I know Michigan isnt a huge road win but they did beat UCONN at home who still may be on the bubble.. Moral to the story win the last 2 and finish higher then ILL and we are in if we dont finish higher we need to win one and play either Purdue, MSU or OSU close and I am highly comfident we are in.

Just my two cents

if they do indeed get a 10 seed itll shut up those saying the team has done so much poorer than last year...seeing as how its the seed we got last time XD

March has arrived - snow all around. I'll take that 10 seed.

LET THE MADNESS BEGIN!

Snow, Schmo....IFFFFFFFFF and a big IFFFFFFFFFF.....the Gophers do get into the dance, Our guys can and may be a dangerous foe to any team that meets us. The whole key is, will we get into the dance? I do not know, but ifffffffff we do, look out!!!! These guys just COULD become the Sweethearts of the NCAA!!! GO GOPHERS!!!

ulmer

Hey Dr. That serious threat can only be legit if someone can sedate Westbrook,I know it`s a big task for Cobb to fill in and Devoe can`t do it all but L.W. has simply got to quit with the I`ll do it myself routine.

Ulmer...that is NOT a serious threat. It is, what it is, and you want to turn this thread into an anti-LW thread, it ain't gonna work, sonny.

They still have to beat a dangerous Michigan team or this is mute. It's a tough matchup for the Gophs.

Sports Illustrated has Illinois in with the 74 RPI also stating it would be the worst RPI to get an at large since New Mexico in 1999. Interesting, but their RPI will change, wins against either Ohio Sate or Wis and it goes down and likely in, losses to both and it is up and they are out.

Never paid attention before, but do conference tournaments change RPI's?

Re: Bracketology

The key is what howeda7 posts. The selection committee's party line is that it's just wins and losses and home and road, which is RPI. But it's no secret that they consult other things, including models that take margin of victory/defeat such as Sagarin. Right now, there's a huge gulf between the win/loss rating and the pure points rating. I'm not sure the last time I saw a team with such a disparity. That's why it won't be a shock if the Gophs make it in, even get a 10-seed or higher if they rip off a few wins here.

The key is what howeda7 posts. The selection committee's party line is that it's just wins and losses and home and road, which is RPI. But it's no secret that they consult other things, including models that take margin of victory/defeat such as Sagarin. Right now, there's a huge gulf between the win/loss rating and the pure points rating. I'm not sure the last time I saw a team with such a disparity. That's why it won't be a shock if the Gophs make it in, even get a 10-seed or higher if they rip off a few wins here.

BG, let's just get the automatic bid, eh.

try playing the whole season without two starters and the second half without another.

p.s. no one cares what you think you troll. go back to the pathetic hole you crawled out of.

We can only use this excuse halfway. We essentially had the same team we had as last year, and regressed. What excuse can we use for that?

Top Bottom