Bowl Game Scenarios: Does the committee respect the Gophers Football Program?

Absolute best case scenario is we win our next two and get a matchup with Boise State/Marshall in our "New Year's Six" bowl game.

I don't know if there is any chance of us getting matched with the mid major.

Personally, I would be just giddy with the Citrus Bowl.

While I agree getting to any NY6 bowl is a dream scenario, playing a mid-major seems like a lose-lose. If we win, the whole crowd of "oh wow you beat Marshall or Boise" comes out, and if we lose, it'd be even worse. I'd love to get matched up with a Oklahoma/Clemson/Missou type game. Those are big-name teams we'd be able to beat.

While I agree getting to any NY6 bowl is a dream scenario, playing a mid-major seems like a lose-lose. If we win, the whole crowd of "oh wow you beat Marshall or Boise" comes out, and if we lose, it'd be even worse. I'd love to get matched up with a Oklahoma/Clemson/Missou type game. Those are big-name teams we'd be able to beat.

If we got there, I would want the most likely scenario to win. Wisconsin survived their loss to TCU several years back.

How would everyone feel if we end up in the Gator Bowl (known this year as the TaxSlayer.com Bowl). The move to the CFP has bumped the game from its New Year's Day spot. This bowl season the game will be played on Friday January 2, 2015. An SEC team placed #3-8 will face either a Big Ten team, the #3-6 ACC team or Notre Dame. Kickoff is slated for 2:20 CT, after the Armed Forces Bowl at 11:00 CT and preceding both the Alamo Bowl at 5:45 CT and the Cactus Bowl (in Tempe, AZ) at 9:15 CT. The four games will comrpise a bowl game quadrupleheader on ESPN.

On one hand, the game is not on New Year's Day, but on the other, most people will have 1/2/15 off from work and school. However, some of the focus will be off the bowl games post Semis and pre CFP Title Game on 1/12/15. The lead in bowl is minor league, but the Alamo Bowl afterward has Big XII #2 vs. PAC-12 #2. The Gator Bowl certainly has lots of history and the weather will be nicer there than here although not Tampa or Orlando nice.

So would the Gator Bowl feel satisfying or like a letdown, even if just a bit?

How would everyone feel if we end up in the Gator Bowl (known this year as the TaxSlayer.com Bowl). The move to the CFP has bumped the game from its New Year's Day spot. This bowl season the game will be played on Friday January 2, 2015. An SEC team placed #3-8 will face either a Big Ten team, the #3-6 ACC team or Notre Dame. Kickoff is slated for 2:20 CT, after the Armed Forces Bowl at 11:00 CT and preceding both the Alamo Bowl at 5:45 CT and the Cactus Bowl (in Tempe, AZ) at 9:15 CT. The four games will comrpise a bowl game quadrupleheader on ESPN.

On one hand, the game is not on New Year's Day, but on the other, most people will have 1/2/15 off from work and school. However, some of the focus will be off the bowl games post Semis and pre CFP Title Game on 1/12/15. The lead in bowl is minor league, but the Alamo Bowl afterward has Big XII #2 vs. PAC-12 #2. The Gator Bowl certainly has lots of history and the weather will be nicer there than here although not Tampa or Orlando nice.

Frankly I would be disappointed by quite a bit. The TaxSlayer is a "tier 2" bowl, and we are very much deserving of tier 1 this year, assuming we get two teams into committee bowls. If we slip to the TaxSlayer, it means we were passed by at least four teams (five if the B1G gets two into the committee bowls).

Tier 1: Citrus, Outback, Holiday
Tier 2: TaxSlayer/Music City, Foster Farms, Pinstripe
Tier 3: Heart of Dallas, Quick Lane

Major letdown in my opinion. If we aren't at least in San Diego I will feel that we got screwed. And even SD would be a little bit disappointing at this point.

Major letdown in my opinion. If we aren't at least in San Diego I will feel that we got screwed. And even SD would be a little bit disappointing at this point.

We might get San Diego if it's between us & Maryland, just because of distance. Here to FL & here to CA, about the same. But MD to FL vs MD to CA, big difference.

We might get San Diego if it's between us & Maryland, just because of distance. Here to FL & here to CA, about the same. But MD to FL vs MD to CA, big difference.

Valid point if you consider distance.

Regardless, I'd still be a little bitter about Maryland getting a New Year's Day bowl with their best win being 7 points at home to Iowa (a team we beat by 5 touchdowns) and multiple ugly blow outs. Their schedule was a laughable joke.

Plus we are finishing at least 2nd in our division and they are a distant third in theirs.

Valid point if you consider distance.

Regardless, I'd still be a little bitter about Maryland getting a New Year's Day bowl with their best win being 7 points at home to Iowa (a team we beat by 5 touchdowns) and multiple ugly blow outs. Their schedule was a laughable joke.

Plus we are finishing 2nd in our division and they are a distant third in theirs.

Their schedule wasn't terrible (OSU, MSU, Wisconsin, Iowa, plus two P5 non-conference games not a joke) but they were terrible playing it. 45-point loss at Wisconsin, 28-point home loss to Ohio State, 22-point home loss to Michigan State, home loss to a 6-5 West Virginia team. Regardless of outcomes this weekend, you'd have a hard time convincing me they were a better team than us this year.

Their schedule wasn't terrible (OSU, MSU, Wisconsin, Iowa, plus two P5 non-conference games not a joke) but they were terrible playing it. 45-point loss at Wisconsin, 28-point home loss to Ohio State, 22-point home loss to Michigan State, home loss to a 6-5 West Virginia team. Regardless of outcomes this weekend, you'd have a hard time convincing me they were a better team than us this year.

Agreed. Let's just hope that Rutgers pulls the road upset.

Holiday Bowl/San Diego would normally be great for us. But this year, it would be a total letdown.

I want Citrus or Outback BADLY.

Holiday Bowl/San Diego would normally be great for us. But this year, it would be a total letdown. I want Citrus or Outback BADLY.
Tell me about it! I live in San Diego, a mile from the stadium and I will be in MN visiting family until the 28th. If they go to this game I might need to adjust my flight.

You guys are selling yourselves short. I've got you in Florida on a number of scenarios. Consider that you have the Cap One, Outback, and Citris (as well as Gator) and you should definitely get one of the top three.

You guys are selling yourselves short. I've got you in Florida on a number of scenarios. Consider that you have the Cap One, Outback, and Citris (as well as Gator) and you should definitely get one of the top three.

The Capital One Bowl and the Citrus Bowl are the same game. For about the last decade it was called the Capital One, but it is now called the Citrus. Unless by the Capital One Bowl, you meant the Capital One Orange Bowl, which I think it would be virtually impossible for the Gophers to go to because it's a selection committee bowl, and probably the only way we get one of those is winning the Big Ten, which would preclude us from going to the Orange Bowl because they can't take the Big Ten champ from what I understand.

Have the Gophers not clinched 2nd place in the West and no worse than 4th overall? 1st tiebreaker is head to head. Got all beat except Md. 4th is common opponents. Both would finish 2-2. 5th is higher ranking in Committee Poll.

That means tier 1 bowl, as B1G Champ goes to Fiesta.

Did I miss something? B1G picks bowl participants, not picked by bowl games any more.

The Capital One Bowl and the Citrus Bowl are the same game. For about the last decade it was called the Capital One, but it is now called the Citrus. Unless by the Capital One Bowl, you meant the Capital One Orange Bowl, which I think it would be virtually impossible for the Gophers to go to because it's a selection committee bowl, and probably the only way we get one of those is winning the Big Ten, which would preclude us from going to the Orange Bowl because they can't take the Big Ten champ from what I understand.

Wrong. The Cap One and the Citrus are played in the same venue, but are two different games. The Cap One is 12/31 for the #1 B1G team (ostensibly; the B1G powers-that-be pick who goes where), and the Citrus is 1/1 for the #2 team.

Have the Gophers not clinched 2nd place in the West and no worse than 4th overall? 1st tiebreaker is head to head. Got all beat except Md. 4th is common opponents. Both would finish 2-2. 5th is higher ranking in Committee Poll.

That means tier 1 bowl, as B1G Champ goes to Fiesta.

Did I miss something? B1G picks bowl participants, not picked by bowl games any more.

1. Bowls submit their TOP 3 teams they would like,
2. Universities submit their TOP 3 Destinations they would like, and
3. Conference decides team placements based on these and additional factors (avoiding potential rematchws, competitiveness, newer destinations, etc.

That's what Cayman said, and TAW called him wrong. I don't see where TAW sees all three games of Citrus, Cap One, and Orange. I'm also in the camp that thinks there is only the Citrus and Orange Bowls.

We belong in one of the Tier 1 bowls. Regardless of the outcome of next weeks game, objectively we are one of the strongest 4 B1G teams this year. If the conference pairs us in a Tier 2 bowl, that just shows they don't give a Wisconsin chick's herpes about on the field results.

That's what Cayman said, and TAW called him wrong. I don't see where TAW sees all three games of Citrus, Cap One, and Orange. I'm also in the camp that thinks there is only the Citrus and Orange Bowls.

Gotta admit I may have this wrong, which throws off all my projections. The B1G site makes it hard to decipher what bowls we have each year. Crap - back to the drawing board.

Gotta admit I may have this wrong, which throws off all my projections. The B1G site makes it hard to decipher what bowls we have each year. Crap - back to the drawing board.

I think that's why some of us Gopher fans are worried about being screwed over again in the process. I do find it reassuring, though, that the Gopher sports twitter account tweeted out the following bowls last night about which they'd prefer- Citrus, Outback, and Holiday. Have we been told that we are guaranteed Tier 1 at worst?

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

I think that's why some of us Gopher fans are worried about being screwed over again in the process. I do find it reassuring, though, that the Gopher sports twitter account tweeted out the following bowls last night about which they'd prefer- Citrus, Outback, and Holiday. Have we been told that we are guaranteed Tier 1 at worst?

I don't believe that is the case. It is my understanding that we could still end up in any B1G bowl, but if we get snubbed this year it will be our own conference doing it to us and not the bowl games themselves. Of course, if we take care of business and win the B1G, then I think there are some guaranties as to where we end up.

We are in a Tier I Bowl this year. 1 of those 3.
Gophersports.com and ticket office surveys data are probably compiled and used for the list they will submit for preferred bowls.

I don't believe that is the case. It is my understanding that we could still end up in any B1G bowl, but if we get snubbed this year it will be our own conference doing it to us and not the bowl games themselves. Of course, if we take care of business and win the B1G, then I think there are some guaranties as to where we end up.

This is correct, for the most part. Here's the relevant part from the article on the announcement:

Delany said the tiers are more for bowls than teams, although Big Ten teams with the strongest records not participating in the Playoff/Rose/Orange would go to the top-tier bowls. All three bowl agreements the Big Ten has announced include the stipulation that at least five different teams will appear during the first six years of the deals.
http://espn.go.com/blog/bigten/post/_/id/78767/b1g-to-adopt-tiered-bowl-selection-process

Whether or not the conference sticks by the "strongest records" language is yet to be seen.

I swear if we go to the Gator Bowl, Nebraska goes to the Outback and Iowa goes to the Holiday I'm going to mail a bag of dog **** to Jim Delaney's house.

I swear if we go to the Gator Bowl, Nebraska goes to the Outback and Iowa goes to the Holiday I'm going to mail a bag of dog **** to Jim Delaney's house.

www.poopsenders.com

Unfortunately they don't sell dog, but if you're willing to settle for cow dung, these guys have you covered.

Not may. You do have it wrong.

Top Bottom