Both Gach To Return To Utah Basketball After One Season With Minnesota

Most bizarre recruiting ever. Apparently he was happy coming home and he wants to go back. This will be the norm. Average player looking to be in portal and go back to utah and with different coach. Bizzare!
Maybe his ex-GF beckoned. Or his missed the mountains. Or the BIG was too hard for him. Or he like Smith's style versus BJ's. Or he felt more comfortable there. Or.................

Good luck to Gach. Hope he does well and is happier this time. Personally I think the walk on from Eastview is a step up.

College basketball is basically a farce at this point.
I think things will stabilize some in regards to the transfer portal after this year....but yeah, this has been a weird off season, here and across the country.

Both is going to be fighting for playing time against a couple of Utah State transfers and Gabe Madesn. Yes, that Gabe Madsen

Good luck to Gach. Hope he does well and is happier this time. Personally I think the walk on from Eastview is a step up.
Defensively he's a liability, slow afoot and not strong enough to defend a big, he got beat off the dribble to often for me.

I predict he'll make a lot of big shots for them.

What this current situation really makes clear is that the previous system with "waivers" was the real joke.

Robbins "had" to transfer to MN to be "closer to family." Gach "had" to transfer to MN to be "closer to family."

But, when MN has a coaching change, suddenly it's OK for them to be a lot further away from family.
The portal may not be perfect, but at least it eliminates the (mostly) phony excuses that players used to try and get waivers under the old system.

Now, if you want to transfer, you transfer and you don't have to come up with some B.S. reason to try and avoid having to sit out a year.

What this current situation really makes clear is that the previous system with "waivers" was the real joke.

Robbins "had" to transfer to MN to be "closer to family." Gach "had" to transfer to MN to be "closer to family."

But, when MN has a coaching change, suddenly it's OK for them to be a lot further away from family.
The portal may not be perfect, but at least it eliminates the (mostly) phony excuses that players used to try and get waivers under the old system.

Now, if you want to transfer, you transfer and you don't have to come up with some B.S. reason to try and avoid having to sit out a year.
Hold up....are you trying to imply the old waiver system was a joke? You mean Justin Fields didn't need to transfer out of Georgia to get away from racisim while all his other black teammates somehow managed to deal with it?....

Yeah, at least under the new system the NCAA isn't stuck finding ways to justify transfers to the blue bloods and not requiring a year of sitting out.

His injury happened against Maryland for those that care to look at his stats. He was actually improving in B1G play until then and then his minutes had to be cut bc of his foot.

Non-conference play, kid was very good.

Someone a while back mentioned his TO rate. Look at the TO rate for some of the 1st team all conference. Both was actually average or better overall in the conference for TO

His injury happened against Maryland for those that care to look at his stats. He was actually improving in B1G play until then and then his minutes had to be cut bc of his foot.

Someone a while back mentioned his TO rate. Look at the TO rate for some of the 1st team all conference. Both was actually average or better overall in the conference for TO
I don't remember much complaining about Gach last season until we started losing. He did look bad the second half of the season. He was shaping up to be a legit 3rd option scorer until he got hurt though. I would imagine most would agree he was also playing for a lousy coach. I also don't recall anyone wanting him gone until he entered the portal. Now that he's gone, he was a terrible player and we're better off? Seems he would have been improved with better health and a better coaching staff. Maybe he just wasn't what Ben is looking for.

I’m assuming Both will have to sit this year (unless he’s finished his degree), so it will be a while before he’s fighting for playing time.

I’m assuming Both will have to sit this year (unless he’s finished his degree), so it will be a while before he’s fighting for playing time.
I thought no one had to sit this year, that's why it's such a free for all. Our entire team (nearly) is comprised of transfers, I have not heard any talk that any are in jeopardy of not being eligible. I suppose he could take a red shirt year though, depends on what his plan is. I doubt he would go back to Utah to redshirt though, just a feeling.

I thought no one had to sit this year, that's why it's such a free for all. Our entire team (nearly) is comprised of transfers, I have not heard any talk that any are in jeopardy of not being eligible. I suppose he could take a red shirt year though, depends on what his plan is. I doubt he would go back to Utah to redshirt though, just a feeling.
It’s a free transfer if you haven’t transferred before or a traditional grad transfer. Multiple transfers who haven’t graduated have to apply for a waiver. Besides Willis, I don’t believe any of our guys had transferred previously. Guys like Robbins and Gach (if he didn’t graduate) have to apply for waivers again. Those haven't all
been granted yet, but besides Marcus Carr, it seems like those get given pretty freely.

Gach was in Pitinos doghouse and lost his starting spot I thought? Maybe it was all injury related, but I think at the end of the year he was healthy again and wasn’t getting minutes

Gach was in Pitinos doghouse and lost his starting spot I thought? Maybe it was all injury related, but I think at the end of the year he was healthy again and wasn’t getting minutes

That's what I thought as well, it wasnt until the middle of the freefall that RP mentioned Both had been trying to play on a hurt foot, he was limited during practices, etc. End of the year his foot still wasn't healed.

That's what I thought as well, it wasnt until the middle of the freefall that RP mentioned Both had been trying to play on a hurt foot, he was limited during practices, etc. End of the year his foot still wasn't healed.
Good deal. I couldn’t remember exactly how it went.

I look at his efficiency numbers for his whole career and also grade him as a poor defender.

I look at his efficiency numbers for his whole career and also grade him as a poor defender.
That could be true. I believe in the right system he can be a plus defender. In high school (I know, it doesn't count, it's not the same blah, blah) he demonstrated the ability to be an opportunistic, big play disruptor, with a lot of deflections, steals, breakouts and dunks. He's long, he's quick, he anticipates in the right scheme. One on one, man to man not so much but he has athleticism when healthy, and length....so is that motivation, inspiration and teaching more than it is his inability?
In a stance, low and wide, taught to anticipate he should be very difficult to get past.

That could be true. I believe in the right system he can be a plus defender. In high school (I know, it doesn't count, it's not the same blah, blah) he demonstrated the ability to be an opportunistic, big play disruptor, with a lot of deflections, steals, breakouts and dunks. He's long, he's quick, he anticipates in the right scheme. One on one, man to man not so much but he has athleticism when healthy, and length....so is that motivation, inspiration and teaching more than it is his inability?
In a stance, low and wide, taught to anticipate he should be very difficult to get past.
Sounds like he should be at Syracuse...

Top Bottom