Bo Ryan retiring? - UPDATED: Bo intends to coach one more season, then retire

howeda7

Reaction score
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

I'd keep this in mind...
1. This guy is not any kind of legitimate source that I'd trust. He's a Badger fan that's a financial planner.
2. If this is true, thank goodness for the Gophers, Bo is good.
3. If this is true, I wonder if Shaka is just kicking himself for taking the Texas job.
4. I really can't imagine that HUGE info like this wouldn't have been leaked to a legit news outlet....so really take it with a grain of salt, but that's what Twitter is about, a ton of information, and you can sift through it to see what's true and false.

Btw - me RTing this is not an endorsement or verification in anyway. It's just sharing info that's going around. I've been looking all around, and have yet to find any source I trust that's reporting this.

Thanks Nadine. I just figured our non-Twitter posters would be interested. Anyone who lived through the Shaka Smart thread knows how much internet rumors are worth.

I'm not sure Shaka is kicking himself unless he really wanted to come home. But if I was UVa I'd be shaking the couch cushions right now.

Thanks Nadine. I just figured our non-Twitter posters would be interested. Anyone who lived through the Shaka Smart thread knows how much internet rumors are worth.

I'm not sure Shaka is kicking himself unless he really wanted to come home. But if I was UVa I'd be shaking the couch cushions right now.

I completely agree, I was coming on here to post it - but I just know how people are, and can shoot the messenger. This is not my news, just sharing what I saw!

I've always heard that WI was one of his top 5 dream jobs. At the top of that list too. Lol at the UVA comment! I'm not sure I could be as tough on Tony as Bo...since he's just a tad bit dreamier :).

I completely agree, I was coming on here to post it - but I just know how people are, and can shoot the messenger. This is not my news, just sharing what I saw!

I've always heard that WI was one of his top 5 dream jobs. At the top of that list too. Lol at the UVA comment! I'm not sure I could be as tough on Tony as Bo...since he's just a tad bit dreamier :).

Whoever Wisconsin gets, I have a feeling it will cause the Pitino rumor mill to take another spin. That should be fun.

Another Tweeter responded to Kevin's tweet by saying "crayz if true" and then Kevin responded to that tweet by saying " I think it's a long shot, but he's not getting any younger". Personally I don't understand how on you tweet that a guy is retiring due to health reasons, including @'ing both UWBadgers and BadgersMBB and your'e not even confident in what you "reporting"? Oh yeah this is a full grown adult who has his employer, Northwestern Mutual, prominently displayed on the header of his Twitter account.

I personally don't buy that Shaka would have rather had the UW job. He'll likely be paid more and have access to better talent at UT. Further, his style would be a complete 180 from Bo's and even after the growing pains of the style change it would be almost impossible for him to match Bo Ryan's resume. At Texas, he's replacing Rick Barnes who was above .500 in league play just once in the last 4 years and whose last conference title came in 07-08.

It's not just this guy. There are a few people saying the same thing. It doesn't mean there's any validity to it, just that he's not some lone voice in the wilderness.

The Wilderness Territory, as seen on the Travel Channel’s Extreme Resort show, consists of over 600 wooded acres in Wisconsin Dells and is the perfect destination for a fun-filled family vacation, meeting or special event. It is home to Wilderness Hotel & Golf Resort, Wilderness on the Lake and Glacier Canyon Lodge. Combined, these three properties offer four indoor and four outdoor waterparks that total nearly 500,000 square feet! The Territory is also home to Wild Rock Golf Club, The Woods 9-Hole Executive Course; Zip Line Tour, Indoor and outdoor go-karts, lazer tag, mini golf and other attractions.

The Wilderness Territory, as seen on the Travel Channel’s Extreme Resort show, consists of over 600 wooded acres in Wisconsin Dells and is the perfect destination for a fun-filled family vacation, meeting or special event. It is home to Wilderness Hotel & Golf Resort, Wilderness on the Lake and Glacier Canyon Lodge. Combined, these three properties offer four indoor and four outdoor waterparks that total nearly 500,000 square feet! The Territory is also home to Wild Rock Golf Club, The Woods 9-Hole Executive Course; Zip Line Tour, Indoor and outdoor go-karts, lazer tag, mini golf and other attractions.

I'll continue on and say this is a fantastic place to meet family if you've got them in both states like I do. Once a year I go there and play golf and watch my kiddos play in the pool, rain or shine.

Bring a couple credit cards.

TB would never leave UVA for UW. You would have to know his entire story regarding goals,family and value and fit.

Have heard this from several unrelated folks. One person in particular makes me think there's some truth behind this one, but you never know.

Would one of his daughters tell people this before a formal announcement came? Yep.

Basketball reporter in Cleveland

Maybe its Tim Miles?

Huffington and Bleacher Report reporter:

Go Gophers!!

First instinct was Tony Bennett since he recruits Wisconsin pretty heavily. But then I remembered Buzz Williams is now in the ACC...

Tony Bennett doesn't seem quite entrenched yet at UVA. If Bo Ryan retires right now and they are able to pry Bennett from Virginia, that would be a really good deal for them. Bennett is going to be a superstar coach for DECADES.

Personally, I'd like to see Bo retire and replaced by somebody like Steve Yoder or the dozen other coaches they've had during their mostly irrelevant existence.

Bennett ain't going any where. He's already among the elite class in the ACC and Virginia is an excellent academic institution located in a much more fertile recruiting territory than Wisconsin. I'd be shocked if he ever coaches Wisconsin.

Greg Gard would get first shot at the job if Bo did retire.

If it happened now Guard would get first crack. To close to the start of the year. Plus he's been bo's right hand man for quite sometime. He's earned it. Usually teams want to stick with what works and as much as I hate it bo's brand of ball works in Madison

As much as I would love for Bo to be out of the picture, I certainly hope he isn't forced to retire for health reasons.

Bennett ain't going any where. He's already among the elite class in the ACC and Virginia is an excellent academic institution located in a much more fertile recruiting territory than Wisconsin. I'd be shocked if he ever coaches Wisconsin.

Dude is from Wisconsin, is a legend at UWGB and his dad coached throughout Wisconsin and at the University of Wisconsin. I'd be shocked if anyone was shocked if Tony Bennett ever coached at Wisconsin.

If Ryan was to retire this week, which still appears unlikely from the threads and articles posted above, the worst case scenario for MN would be Bennett taking over. Excellent coach who quickly revitalized the Cavaliers and built them into an ACC powerhouse the last couple of years.

Not really, unless you consider DC part of the territory which it really isn't. And in the immediate area they have to compete with VT, VCU, Richmond, etc. Not to mention Duke and UNC on a much more frequent basis.

Wisconsin is probably a slight upgrade. A lateral move at worst. It comes down to if he wants to come home, and/or it's easier to win in the B1G. Even with the last two years, it will always be an uphill climb against UNC, Duke and now Louisville and Syracuse.

Not really, unless you consider DC part of the territory which it really isn't. And in the immediate area they have to compete with VT, VCU, Richmond, etc. Not to mention Duke and UNC on a much more frequent basis.

Wisconsin is probably a slight upgrade. A lateral move at worst. It comes down to if he wants to come home, and/or it's easier to win in the B1G. Even with the last two years, it will always be an uphill climb against UNC, Duke and now Louisville and Syracuse.

DC/Baltimore is definitely within Virginia's recruiting territory. It's about a 2 hour drive. And I wouldn't say VT, VCU (sans Shaka), and Richmond are much to worry about recruiting-wise. Duke and UNC recruit nationally not locally. So they'd be going up against them no matter what.

Here is the statement from UW:

Go Gophers!!

Alvarez's biggest decision ahead

Big, big decision ahead for Alvarez. Hire the guy within the program who's been Bo's right-hand man and is the guy Bo wants to get it, or go after a bigger name and/or proven head coach (like Tony Bennett). There won't be a lack of quality candidates for what Bo turned into one of the top programs in the country.

Oh boy I can't wait until Bo final game at the Barn. That will be one fun game.:)

Big, big decision ahead for Alvarez. Hire the guy within the program who's been Bo's right-hand man and is the guy Bo wants to get it, or go after a bigger name and/or proven head coach (like Tony Bennett). There won't be a lack of quality candidates for what Bo turned into one of the top programs in the country.

The issue with hiring a non Bo man is you have to accept a few potential years of rebuilding assuming a potentially significant change in style.

Top Bottom