Bo Pelini

die hard gopher

Reaction score
"If they want to fire me, go ahead," Pelini told reporters after the Cornhuskers' 38-17 loss to Iowa on Friday to finish the regular season 8-4. "I believe in what I've done. I don't apologize to you. I don't apologize to anybody, myself or this staff. My record, our record since I've been here, speaks for itself. And this program is heading in a good direction."

"You choose not to think so, that's your prerogative. All I know is myself, this staff, the people who have been associated with this program since I've been here can look themselves in the mirror and feel good about what they've done."

"I saw (Iowa coach) Kirk Ferentz over on the other side acting a lot worse than I act. I didn't see a flag come out on him."

I'd react the same way as Pelini on the first question. Sounds like something a junior high cub reporter would ask.

But he's dug his own grave with his past actions. He's actually improved from two or three years ago.

This time of year it was a battle in The Big 8. It was Oklahoma vs. Nebraska battling for a trip to Miami and the Orange Bowl. Much has been made of Michigan vs. Ohio State, but the snot slobbering was in Lincoln or Norman. Bo has no idea of what it takes, the AD probably doesn't either. They both are in the middle of fracturing the fan base. 8-4 does not, did not cut it in Lincoln. In 1967 the Huskers were 6-4, 3-4 in conference and Coach Devaney was under some fire from the O street posse. Bo used excuses, we are a young team. Then balance the roster. Depth, come on man its Nebraska. And for goodness sake don't attack Tommie Frazier. I think he is feeling the heat. The question of course who can they land?

I believe Pelini's B10 winning percentage is better than Ferentz's.

Nebraska is delusional.

This is the new reality for them. It can only get worse.

$7.5 million would cushion the blow.

This time of year it was a battle in The Big 8. It was Oklahoma vs. Nebraska battling for a trip to Miami and the Orange Bowl. Much has been made of Michigan vs. Ohio State, but the snot slobbering was in Lincoln or Norman. Bo has no idea of what it takes, the AD probably doesn't either. They both are in the middle of fracturing the fan base. 8-4 does not, did not cut it in Lincoln. In 1967 the Huskers were 6-4, 3-4 in conference and Coach Devaney was under some fire from the O street posse. Bo used excuses, we are a young team. Then balance the roster. Depth, come on man its Nebraska. And for goodness sake don't attack Tommie Frazier. I think he is feeling the heat. The question of course who can they land?

That was always a BIG game when I was growing up, especially when Fairbanks/Switzer v. Devaney/Osborne. Great, great teams from the early-1970s until almost the 1990s.

It's like Jerry Kill said. "We are all friends, and we get each other fired."

15 years ago never seemed so far away for Nebraska. A horrible firing (Solich), a horrible hiring (Callahan), a shift in College athletics, and Lincoln becoming a disadvantaged town has led to this. Nebraska has incredible resources and will always be relevant and occasionally powerful, but their fans need to realize what there new reality is.......above average to occasionally very good.

FWIW, I've read on here so many times on how great their fans are, and by in large they are very respectful. But don't kid yourselves, when little brother punches back (us), and possibly win next year in Lincoln, they aren't so gracious. Have seen it many times.

Following Dr. Tom just may be a very difficult thing to do. Bo is the third replacement for Dr. Tom. To make the situation even more difficult, the larger than life Dr. Tom is still living large around his old program. So, will Nebraska continue to fall into the trap of "hiring...and firing coaches who just can't quite get it done until they find their new "...Dr. Tom?" Maybe they have the resources...the will and the desire to buy 'em out...try 'em out and if the next one doesn't get it done to do it all again. But the times may have changed. They are no longer one of the "Big Two" in their conference they way they always were when it was Oklahoma and Nebraska. (Michigan probably longs for the days when they were one of the "Big Two" in the Big Ten. Michigan is on their second coach since their last NC. And, if their current coach doesn't start beating the Ohio State University pretty soon, he will be gone too.

It's hard to say what they will do in Lincoln. 7.5 million is a LOT to pay for the buy out of an 8-4 coach. And who would they replace Bo with? That is part of the problem with a "fire your way to prosperity" plan. Part of the equation is making the RIGHT hire. In fact, that is the MAIN part of executing the fire and hire your way to the top plan. I don't think Dr. Tom even seems to be able to oversee that phase of finding his replacement.

We have had a little experience with that "fire your way to prosperity" mind set here in Minnesota. We ran off Bernie who won so MANY NC's. Sometimes, they say, history repeats itself. Sometimes there is a really nice run and everything changes. Sometimes it's really hard to get too far beyond just being competitive. But is that really so bad? Or is that pretty much the way it really is for most programs?

But, I think there is some trouble in Lincoln right now. They may be damned IF they buy out Bo...and they may be damned if they do NOT buy out Bo. The natives are restless there. They have their expectations to think about, you know.

But, you know, the way it looks to me: you can beat Nebraska if you play physical football against them...because more than anything else I notice about them that is different than they way they used to be seems to be the fact that you can really push them around and they just don't seem to respond any more. And there sure as heck are a lot of players on that team who are injury prone this season.

It may take a while for them to get back to those days when in their conference it was just them and Oklahoma contending for the top spot almost every season? Those were some pretty fine times in Lincoln.

I wonder if Ann Arbor is kind of in the same type of situation that Lincoln may be experiencing. Time will tell. But B.H. really does need to beat the Ohio State University team one of these days. And Urban could have two undefeated seasons and NEVER get a chance at a NC in Columbus. Maybe Urban should get his agent to contact Lincoln. Or, maybe Brady and Bo should try just "changing places..." I can't believe that the fans in either Ann Arbor or Lincoln are very happy. And, I KNOW that Ann Arbor has always been wanting to bring in another BO! Of course he never did win a NC for them and it took a good, solid American made CARR to drive that last NC season back home for them in 1998 or when ever it was.

Beat State Gophers!

Hoke

I wonder if Ann Arbor is kind of in the same type of situation that Lincoln may be experiencing. Time will tell. But B.H. really does need to beat the Ohio State University team one of these days. And Urban could have two undefeated seasons and NEVER get a chance at a NC in Columbus. Maybe Urban should get his agent to contact Lincoln. Or, maybe Brady and Bo should try just "changing places..." I can't believe that the fans in either Ann Arbor or Lincoln are very happy. And, I KNOW that Ann Arbor has always been wanting to bring in another BO! Of course he never did win a NC for them and it took a good, solid American made CARR to drive that last NC season back home for them in 1998 or when ever it was.

Beat State Gophers!

Hoke did beat the Buckeyes in 2011 on their way to a win in the Sugar Bowl. I do realize that is a distant memory for many Michigan fans.

BO, Smooth Used Footballs, and the Spread Against the Spartans

Following Dr. Tom just may be a very difficult thing to do. Bo is the third replacement for Dr. Tom. To make the situation even more difficult, the larger than life Dr. Tom is still living large around his old program. So, will Nebraska continue to fall into the trap of "hiring...and firing coaches who just can't quite get it done until they find their new "...Dr. Tom?" Maybe they have the resources...the will and the desire to buy 'em out...try 'em out and if the next one doesn't get it done to do it all again. But the times may have changed. They are no longer one of the "Big Two" in their conference they way they always were when it was Oklahoma and Nebraska. (Michigan probably longs for the days when they were one of the "Big Two" in the Big Ten. Michigan is on their second coach since their last NC. And, if their current coach doesn't start beating the Ohio State University pretty soon, he will be gone too.

It's hard to say what they will do in Lincoln. 7.5 million is a LOT to pay for the buy out of an 8-4 coach. And who would they replace Bo with? That is part of the problem with a "fire your way to prosperity" plan. Part of the equation is making the RIGHT hire. In fact, that is the MAIN part of executing the fire and hire your way to the top plan. I don't think Dr. Tom even seems to be able to oversee that phase of finding his replacement.

We have had a little experience with that "fire your way to prosperity" mind set here in Minnesota. We ran off Bernie who won so MANY NC's. Sometimes, they say, history repeats itself. Sometimes there is a really nice run and everything changes. Sometimes it's really hard to get too far beyond just being competitive. But is that really so bad? Or is that pretty much the way it really is for most programs?

But, I think there is some trouble in Lincoln right now. They may be damned IF they buy out Bo...and they may be damned if they do NOT buy out Bo. The natives are restless there. They have their expectations to think about, you know.

But, you know, the way it looks to me: you can beat Nebraska if you play physical football against them...because more than anything else I notice about them that is different than they way they used to be seems to be the fact that you can really push them around and they just don't seem to respond any more. And there sure as heck are a lot of players on that team who are injury prone this season.

It may take a while for them to get back to those days when in their conference it was just them and Oklahoma contending for the top spot almost every season? Those were some pretty fine times in Lincoln.

Beat State Gophers!

imthewalrus,

Good to hear from you. The topography of NCAA football has changed and recent developments have not been favorable for the Cornhuskers for reasons you mentioned. The balance of power has shifted from the Big Ten to the PAC 8 (10, 12, 14 whatever) and SEC. The old Southwestern Conference (SWC) dominated by Texas was a victim of Texas' success and Longhorn domination destroyed it. Then Texas joined the Big 8 and upset the applecart of golden apples that Oklahoma and Nebraska fed off. Texas in turn destroyed the Big 8 (12) causing Texas A&M, Nebraska, and Missouri to jump ship. T. Boone Pickens decided to pour his personal wealth into OSU Cowboys. So the advantages that Nebraska and Oklahoma enjoyed from the Tom Devaney / Bud Wilkinson era through the Dr. / Congressman Tom Osborne / Barry Switzer / Stoops era looks to be coming to an end. The fact is, nobody wants to be in the same league as Texas because the Longhorns with competent coaching end up dominating whatever conference they end up in. They are not playing up to Darrell Royal's level, right now, but they have a geographic and geopolitical advantage in the Texas high school football machine that is the envy of every NCAA school in the nation.

New subject, who made the decision for Minnesota to employ used smooth footballs that are easily fumbled and very difficult to catch at 15 degrees Fahrenheit for the Wisconsin game? Was this done at Ziggy Wilf's suggestion or Mark Wilf's suggestion? Had we employed new footballs like Wisconsin did, how many turnovers do you think we would have had?

Here is hoping for a victory over MSU like the one Glen Mason delivered us in 1998. I notice that the line increased from 14.5 to 16 this morning. Is one of our key players not going to suit up? Anybody know?

I have one name for you to replace Pelini-Tommy Tuberville. He's proven a couple of times he has no loyalty to his program, he left Ole Miss for Auburn after telling everyone they would carry him out of Oxford in a pine box before he takes another job. He left Texas Tech last year for Cincy before a bowl game. He has Cincy 9-2 (I know they lost to Illinois, but they aren't smart enough in Lincoln to actually look at the wins and losses-they did hire Bill freaking Callahan) this year and I'm sure he jump ship for a big job again. He loves defense and loves a conservative based offense. If they don't fire Bo this year, watch out for this move next year.

The old Southwestern Conference (SWC) dominated by Texas was a victim of Texas' success and Longhorn domination destroyed it. ..

Here is hoping for a victory over MSU like the one Glen Mason delivered us in 1998. I notice that the line increased from 14.5 to 16 this morning. Is one of our key players not going to suit up? Anybody know?

- The line started climbing pretty early in the week. You can still get from 16 to 16.5 to 17.0.

http://www.vegasinsider.com/[email protected]/date/11-30-13/time/1200

http://www.reviewjournal.com/sports/betting/current-odds-ncaaf

- You're right about what Texas causing "trouble" for the Big 8 and Big 12. The SWC? The idea that the Longhorns dominated the SWC is out there, but it's not true. They won 5 Championships from 1977 until the league folded in 1995. Only 3 of those outright. The schools themselves destroyed the Conference. All but 3 schools got major NCAA penalties and schools started to look for other places to land.

The 1980s saw many of the conference's athletic programs hit by recruiting scandals and NCAA probations.[4][5][6] The only programs to escape probation in the 1980s were Arkansas, Baylor, and Rice.[4][5][6] Because of repeated major violations, in 1987, the SMU Mustangs football program became only the third in NCAA history to receive the so-called "Death Penalty" (after Kentucky basketball in 1952-53 and Southwestern Louisiana basketball from 1973 to 1975). The NCAA canceled SMU's 1987 season, and limited it to seven road games for 1988. However, nearly all of the school's lettermen transferred elsewhere, forcing SMU to keep its football program shuttered for 1988 as well. SMU also remained on probation until 1990. At that time, NCAA rules prohibited schools on probation from appearing on live television. As a result, the conference's market share in television coverage dwindled.
The SWC's performance in football declined precipitously. The final eight SWC champions lost in their bowl games. After SMU's second-place finish in most polls in 1982, SWC programs usually were not serious contenders for the national title. Texas had strong teams in 1981, 1983 and 1990, Arkansas had strong teams in 1988 and 1989, and Texas A&M was strong in 1992, but by the end of their respective seasons none were able to remain in the national championship hunt.
In 1990, Arkansas announced it would leave for the Southeastern Conference, marking the beginning of the end for the conference. In March 1994, Texas, Texas A&M, Baylor, and Texas Tech accepted invitations to join with the members of the Big Eight Conference to form the Big 12 Conference. Soon afterward, SMU, TCU, and Rice accepted invitations to join the Western Athletic Conference, while Houston became a charter member of Conference USA. In May 1996, after the completion of championship matches in baseball and track & field, the Southwest Conference was officially dissolved.

SWC Champs

1975 Arkansas Razorbacks football team
1975 Texas Longhorns football team
1976 Houston Cougars football team
1976 Texas Tech Red Raiders football team
1977 Texas Longhorns football team
1979 Arkansas Razorbacks football team
1980 Baylor Bears football team
1981 SMU Mustangs football team
1982 SMU Mustangs football team
1983 Texas Longhorns football team
1984 SMU Mustangs football team
1985 Texas A&M Aggies football team
1988 Arkansas Razorbacks football team
1989 Arkansas Razorbacks football team
1990 Texas Longhorns football team
1991 Texas A&M Aggies football team
1992 Texas A&M Aggies football team
1993 Texas A&M Aggies football team
1994 Texas Longhorns football team
1994 Texas Tech Red Raiders football team
1995 Texas Longhorns football team

The whole landscape has changed. Nebraska is not the only place where it will never be like it was. Michigan and Penn State are in the same situation. The glory years are in the rear view mirror.

Go Gophers !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

imthewalrus,....... New subject, who made the decision for Minnesota to employ used smooth footballs that are easily fumbled and very difficult to catch at 15 degrees Fahrenheit for the Wisconsin game? Was this done at Ziggy Wilf's suggestion or Mark Wilf's suggestion? Had we employed new footballs like Wisconsin did, how many turnovers do you think we would have had? ........

According to the game announcers, every team supplies their own footballs on offense. Nelson must like the smooth, used balls vs. new and textured ones. First time I had heard that.

This is the new reality for them. It can only get worse.

I don't know about worse......but they are not going to be a perennial powerhouse. I remember when they were accepted into the conference.....many of their fans thought they would come in and dominate the "weak" Big Ten. Hasn't been the case. They are still going to be good year in and year out......but 10 win seasons will be difficult for them to put together.

I don't know about worse......but they are not going to be a perennial powerhouse. I remember when they were accepted into the conference.....many of their fans thought they would come in and dominate the "weak" Big Ten. Hasn't been the case. They are still going to be good year in and year out......but 10 win seasons will be difficult for them to put together.

Nebraska hasn't been within a whiff of "good" since 2001. It's doubtful they ever can be under the unstable Pelini regime. But, under a disciplined coaching staff the sky's the limit for ANY program, so that's certainly within the grasp of a program with Nebraska's resources.

Nebraska hasn't been within a whiff of "good" since 2001. It's doubtful they ever can be under the unstable Pelini regime. But, under a disciplined coaching staff the sky's the limit for ANY program, so that's certainly within the grasp of a program with Nebraska's resources.

They have had seven 9-win seasons and only four with less in that time. Several of those were 10-win seasons. I'm not exactly sure how you decided that they haven't been within a whiff of "good" since 2001.

They have had seven 9-win seasons and only four with less in that time. Several of those were 10-win seasons. I'm not exactly sure how you decided that they haven't been within a whiff of "good" since 2001.

If the goal was to win just 9 or 10 games a season that would be fine. That isn't the goal. 2001 was the last time they finished ranked in the top 10, and 1999 was the last conference championship. Nebraska will finish 2013 unranked again. None of that is "good".

2002 unranked
2003 #19
2004 unranked
2005 #24
2006 unranked
2007 unranked
2008 unranked
2009 #14
2010 #20
2011 #24
2012 #25
2013 unranked