18. Connecticut

19. Dayton

20. Maryland

21. Oklahoma State

22. Michigan

23. Washington

24. Georgetown,

25. (tie) Siena, Illinois

I count 7 possible Gopher opponents in that Top 25.

Duke won't be in the top 25 at the end of the year. Partly based on the fact that they don't have the talent, partly based on the fact that I don't like them.

Experience beats everything ... except talent!

A few observations:

* Georgia Tech was 2-14 in conference last year, 12-19 overall -- Derrick Favors (and others) must be quite a group of recruits.

* Have you noticed Kentucky is already back at a national level of prominence? Despite the turmoil of a coaching change and a mediocre 8-8 conference record LY, again we have to look at recruiting. John Wall and DeMarcus Cousins are rated #1 and #2 by Rivals and the Wildcats signed them both.

* North Carolina loses 4 great players, but again they have a great recruiting harvest.

Like they say ... "Experience beats everything ... except talent!"

A few observations:

* Georgia Tech was 2-14 in conference last year, 12-19 overall -- Derrick Favors (and others) must be quite a group of recruits.

* Have you noticed Kentucky is already back at a national level of prominence? Despite the turmoil of a coaching change and a mediocre 8-8 conference record LY, again we have to look at recruiting. John Wall and DeMarcus Cousins are rated #1 and #2 by Rivals and the Wildcats signed them both.

* North Carolina loses 4 great players, but again they have a great recruiting harvest.

Like they say ... "Experience beats everything ... except talent!"

That's why Gophers are in there - two straight Top 15 to 20 rated class = #14 ranking.

I looked for the Blue Ribbon Yearbook at Borders today, but didn't see it. Is this only available by mail?

Blue Ribbon

For those who ordered it online or by phone, Blue Ribbon is slated to be shipped October 15th.

After perusing the Lindy's and Athlon previews, I was a little surprised that we didn't make either one of their top 25s. Having said that, both had us making the NCAAs while Lindy's had us ranked at No. 32 in their top 40, which I guess isn't too bad.

Personally, I would put us in about the 20-25 range to start the season. As an aside, Vegas Watch had us finishing third in the Big Ten, which puts us somewhere in their top 15-20 once all their previews are done I would think (they're only halfway through their previews of the major conferences and as of now, they had us No. 7 of the 30 or so teams previewed). Overall, it's very nice to see various publications giving the team some preseason love. Of course, it doesn't mean jack in the overall scheme of things, but it's nice to see regardless. :)

After perusing the Lindy's and Athlon previews, I was a little surprised that we didn't make either one of their top 25s.

I was also surpised, make that a little disappointed, that Minnesota didn't make the top 20 in either Lindy's or Athlon, which are both great publications. But it may serve as motivation too.

By the way, Lindy's picks Damian Johnson as the Top Defender in Big Ten and Royce White as most likely to see an NBA uniform first among the conference freshmen.

Top Bottom