Results are only viewable after voting.
Answer time:

A) Anthony Grant
B) Brian Dutcher
C) Niko Medved
D) Craig Smith
E) Eric Musselman
F) Darian DeVries
This was a really good exercise; thank you!!

My takeaways:
  • Grant really does have an impressive resume
  • So does Smith, especially when you consider the situations he's tackled
  • Don't sleep on Dutcher
  • If I'm Coyle, the first call I make is to Musselman saying, what do I have to do to put you in a Big Ten program today? You name the price.
  • Considering that...
    • Dutcher has an out clause to come here
    • Smith and Medved would almost certainly jump at this job
    • This list doesn't even include Dennis Gates who, the more I read up on him, seems like one of the bright emerging coaching stars out there and would presumably at least consider this opportunity
...this is an extraordinarily good time to be potentially hiring a new Gopher coach. For various reasons--not the least of which is the improved training facility--the U is in a way much better position than eight years ago.

Google “Dave Smart defense” and tell me you don’t want him

This was a really good exercise; thank you!!

My takeaways:
  • Grant really does have an impressive resume
  • So does Smith, especially when you consider the situations he's tackled
  • Don't sleep on Dutcher
  • If I'm Coyle, the first call I make is to Musselman saying, what do I have to do to put you in a Big Ten program today? You name the price.
  • Considering that...
    • Dutcher has an out clause to come here
    • Smith and Medved would almost certainly jump at this job
    • This list doesn't even include Dennis Gates who, the more I read up on him, seems like one of the bright emerging coaching stars out there and would presumably at least consider this opportunity
...this is an extraordinarily good time to be potentially hiring a new Gopher coach. For various reasons--not the least of which is the improved training facility--the U is in a way much better position than eight years ago.
He will not be able to tell anyone to name their price. There is a very serious college sports money problem. People have lost jobs and taken pay cuts.

He will not be able to tell anyone to name their price. There is a very serious college sports money problem. People have lost jobs and taken pay cuts.
He can ask anyone to give him a number without being obligated to pay it. I'm curious what it would take to land someone like him. And you're preaching to the choir about the money problems.

He can ask anyone to give him a number without being obligated to pay it. I'm curious what it would take to land someone like him. And you're preaching to the choir about the money problems.
Some guys will not take it no matter what. No problem asking Bennett and Wright either but there is not a number even if it could be paid.

Important context was left out of the poll.

- location they grew up in/alma mater/where they've been assistants
- where all these wins and conference championships were compiled
- the ability to build up programs

Obviously your record is going to suffer if you're early in your career and you've built up a couple programs. There is still the rest of this year to pad the resume as well.

Important context was left out of the poll.

- location they grew up in/alma mater/where they've been assistants
- where all these wins and conference championships were compiled
- the ability to build up programs

Obviously your record is going to suffer if you're early in your career and you've built up a couple programs. There is still the rest of this year to pad the resume as well.
Gads if was not like the hire was going to be based on the stats, it was posted for fun. This entire site is just for fun.

Gads if was not like the hire was going to be based on the stats, it was posted for fun. This entire site is just for fun.
Of course we aren't deciding anything.

But if Medved and Smith are the two finalists, Coyle is going to have to decide between them somehow. These types of criteria could likely be an important part of the overall decision. In addition to, of course, their interviews, their vetting, what their peers have to say about them, etc.

Eric Musselman

Pros:
Youngest Bench coach in NBA history (24 yo, for his dad, of course)
2nd best winning % in CBA history (270-122) for those who coached 5 years.
2012 D-league coach of the year.
Best winning % in USBL history (53-3). 2 years, 2 league champions.
(US Basketball league, NBA development spring league from 1985-2008)

Cons: less than stellar 3 years as head NBA coach (108-138)

In this time of college free agency we can't afford to wait that long...
Or what we will lose a bunch of guys and have an 11-14th place finish next year.

the most important thing is to get the right guy. 21-22 doesn’t matter long run if you get the right guy

Or what we will lose a bunch of guys and have an 11-14th place finish next year.

the most important thing is to get the right guy. 21-22 doesn’t matter long run if you get the right guy
I agree, but I'm saying don't wait two months to save $200K on a buyout.

MUSSELMAN!!!!!!

He's the one, Baby!!!! Roll up the brink's truck and get er' done.

MUSSELMAN!!!!!!

He's the one, Baby!!!! Roll up the brink's truck and get er' done.
Didn’t he post some “row the boat” speech on Twitter recently? He and Fleck would have fun together. I’m in

Mystery coach:
Seasons as a head coach - 20
Overall winning percentage - .924
Conference regular season championships - 9
Conference tournament championships - NA
NCAA tournament appearances - NA
National titles - 13

Top Bottom