Black Jerseys

This just gives me so much hope, gotta be the black jerseys.
So, in the 2017, 2018, 2019 and 2020 seasons, tOSU lost a combined total of only two conference games! Both upset winners came from the West Division. One was Iowa and the other to Purdue.

Both the Iowa and Purdue games were on the road for OSU. The Purdue game was also at night. Most interesting fact is that Iowa and Purdue each wore “black out” uniforms for their unexpected upset victories. No B1G team has beaten OSU in the past four seasons except (1) two West Division underdogs; (2) wearing “black out” uniforms; (3) playing before rabid, sellout home crowds.

Fleck obviously knows this interesting “OSU fail” trivia and is checking all the boxes. The Gopher players must know it too. That is why, I suspect, the players showed such love for the black out uniform look.

Basically, Fleck is doing everything he can to get inside of Ryan Day’s head. And Day hasn’t lost a conference game yet (15-0); he’s got to lose sometime, right? Urban Meyer won his first 16 at OSU before losing no. 17 to an underdog. Maybe it’s just time.

Last edited:

I strongly dislike the black uniforms. We are the Golden Gophers so gold should be a prominent color on uniforms. Secondly, the school colors are maroon and gold. So, If a team wants a dark color, then maroon (not black) should be the choice. The football team only needs three colors of jerseys and pants--gold, maroon, and white. That would give them nine combinations for those who need variety in uniforms. But, UM needs to think about branding. When someone tunes in on TV, they should immediately recognize Minnesota. (Maybe, that is an argument for ugly, black uniforms, but I would disagree). The hockey teams have it right. They wear gold helmets and you can quickly pick out Minnesota regardless of their jersey. One of our previous football coaching staffs did not wear school colors on the sidelines. I thought they were Team Nike not Team Minnesota. Nike must be pushing black. I vote for school colors.

I strongly dislike the black uniforms. We are the Golden Gophers so gold should be a prominent color on uniforms. Secondly, the school colors are maroon and gold. So, If a team wants a dark color, then maroon (not black) should be the choice. The football team only needs three colors of jerseys and pants--gold, maroon, and white. That would give them nine combinations for those who need variety in uniforms. But, UM needs to think about branding. When someone tunes in on TV, they should immediately recognize Minnesota. (Maybe, that is an argument for ugly, black uniforms, but I would disagree). The hockey teams have it right. They wear gold helmets and you can quickly pick out Minnesota regardless of their jersey. One of our previous football coaching staffs did not wear school colors on the sidelines. I thought they were Team Nike not Team Minnesota. Nike must be pushing black. I vote for school colors.
I would have a problem with an alternate jersey like this becoming the primary jersey but as a one-off there is nothing wrong with it. The players love it and like it or not, this is not a trend that is going away anytime soon.

Alternate uniforms and helmets are here to stay.

Not Anthracite. 'Nuff said for this one.

No illusions on tOSU...our players could be playing in invisibility cloaks and would be pressed to win. Black, Anthracite, or Full Banana...the Buckeyes are coming here expecting to win the game.

That offered...if it gives the Good Guys in Gold (usually) some juice then I'm all for it.

BTW...Coach seems very calm this year. Maybe Year 4 (or is it 5 counting Year Zero?) is when the pieces come together for Fleck's version of TresselBall...

Would love to see 2019 as a prelude to bigger things... Beating PSU and Auburn sure was fun.

Almost every game is going to be some combination of maroon, gold, and white. Nothing wrong with doing something different once or twice per year. Plus the players like it.....and recruits like that kind of stuff too. I think the jerseys look sharp.....specifically the helmets. Nationally televised game to open the season. Lots of eyes on the Gophers. Get some talk going.

I was not a fan of the anthracite uniforms but after a while they kinda grew on me and they're not out there EVERY game.

I'll take a wait and see approach to these uniforms until I see them in a few days.

I strongly dislike the black uniforms. We are the Golden Gophers so gold should be a prominent color on uniforms. Secondly, the school colors are maroon and gold. So, If a team wants a dark color, then maroon (not black) should be the choice. The football team only needs three colors of jerseys and pants--gold, maroon, and white. That would give them nine combinations for those who need variety in uniforms. But, UM needs to think about branding. When someone tunes in on TV, they should immediately recognize Minnesota. (Maybe, that is an argument for ugly, black uniforms, but I would disagree). The hockey teams have it right. They wear gold helmets and you can quickly pick out Minnesota regardless of their jersey. One of our previous football coaching staffs did not wear school colors on the sidelines. I thought they were Team Nike not Team Minnesota. Nike must be pushing black. I vote for
Here’s the deal: Ohio State has lost only two B1G conference games in the LAST FOUR YEARS. Both losses were to West Division underdogs who wore “black out” uniforms for the game. Let the players have some fun trying to keep the “trend” going. They’ll be back in maroon and gold the following week and for the rest of the season.

Last edited:

Please contact the football staff. I’m sure that next time alternative uniforms are being considered, they will consult with you and defer to your personal and particular tastes and preferences.

But here’s the deal: Ohio State has lost only two B1G conference games in the LAST FOUR YEARS. Both losses were to West Division underdogs who wore “black out” uniforms for the game. Let the players have some fun trying to keep the “trend” going. They’ll be back in maroon and gold the following week and for the rest of the season.
Go easy on him. He probably didn't know that voting for uniform colors was already over for this season.

So, in the 2017, 2018, 2019 and 2020 seasons, tOSU lost a combined total of only two conference games! Both upset winners came from the West Division. One was Iowa and the other to Purdue.

Both the Iowa and Purdue games were on the road for OSU. The Purdue game was also at night. Most interesting fact is that Iowa and Purdue each wore “black out” uniforms for their unexpected upset victories. No B1G team has beaten OSU in the past four seasons except (1) two West Division underdogs; (2) wearing “black out” uniforms; (3) playing before rabid, sellout home crowds.

Our black out uniforms rabies will be the edge to lead the Gophers to victory.

Almost every game is going to be some combination of maroon, gold, and white. Nothing wrong with doing something different once or twice per year. Plus the players like it.....and recruits like that kind of stuff too. I think the jerseys look sharp.....specifically the helmets. Nationally televised game to open the season. Lots of eyes on the Gophers. Get some talk going.
This makes me think... nobody ever complains about wearing all whites with maroon trim on the road. What's the difference between that and all black with maroon trim at home? As others have said, if the players like it and it gets them excited for the game then that's really all that matters. Hell, they could wear pink tutus and hawaiian shirts and if they beat OSU I'm all for it.

Here’s the deal: Ohio State has lost only two B1G conference games in the LAST FOUR YEARS. Both losses were to West Division underdogs who wore “black out” uniforms for the game. Let the players have some fun trying to keep the “trend” going. They’ll be back in maroon and gold the following week and for the rest of the season.
We need to rent Purdue Pete for the game!

6896948_crop_exact.jpg

This makes me think... nobody ever complains about wearing all whites with maroon trim on the road. What's the difference between that and all black with maroon trim at home? As others have said, if the players like it and it gets them excited for the game then that's really all that matters. Hell, they could wear pink tutus and hawaiian shirts and if they beat OSU I'm all for it.

It's a good point. I think that many consider white as one of the Gophers colors. The team colors are maroon and gold. White is a neutral. But so is black.

Think of all the kids watching the OSU / Gophers game on Thursday on national TV who will see the Gophers in cool uniforms who will think to themselves: "Holy Cow! Minnesota does Black Jerseys too! I want to go play offensive line for those guys since I'm not from Lakeville!"

Top Bottom