Votes: 33 49.3%
  • Defense

Votes: 21 31.3%
  • Special Teams

Votes: 13 19.4%
  • Coaching

Votes: 21 31.3%

• Total voters
What I meant were alternatives to taking off red shirts.

IMO Kill is playing more and more FR so that he can lean on the "we're young excuse." Just seems odd to play Williams, Plsek, and Nelson specifically well into the season when there are alternatives and we aren't that good.

....or is he playing those youngsters because they're better than the older players at their position? The newer recruits are better players. Why sit them on the bench and wait for next year when they could be getting valuable playing time. The sooner they gain experience the better for the team.

Really... Barker, Green, Jones, Engel etc at WR... RB's Gillum, Kirkwood, Cobb, Wright..... QB could have played Gray or Shortell plus Foreman.... DL, Hageman, Botticelli, Wilhite, Perry Etc..... Give me a break! All Upper Class man but we all know we only have 12 seniors on scholarships

NO, upperclassmen are Jrs and Srs.

Thus, take out Jones, Cobb, Wright, Shortell and Foreman! Technically you could add Botticelli and Perry too even though they're RS Sophs! So, 7 of the 15 you listed have TWO MORE YEARS after this! Thus, they're not upperclassmen!!

i could mention all of the LB's (who are playing terrible) Brock Vereen etc... My point is that Jer is playing the we're young card over and over again but he is the one choosing to pull redshirts nearly 1/2 way during the season. I am just sick of the excuse! I don't even disagree by playing Nelson, but Plsek and Williams? Not even Cobb or Wright a chance really and where the hell did Gillum go. There are capable non-freshman who can play that are not getting a chance that pisses me off!

And you'd know they're capable how? You're at practice? Youtube tapes are not the way to evaluate these players. Practice is where they're evaluated and Kill and Co. know a whole lot more than you!

It just might be the fans

It is a sad situation when the athletic director at our rival school has a lot more class than our fans. Barry Alvarez had losing seasons for the first three years at Wisconsin. Maybe that is why he waited by Minnesota's team bus after the game to give coach Kill some encouragement and advice. Now that was a class act. Alvarez knows that it takes time and patience to turn a program around and to install a new culture. Our so called fans have as much patience and understanding as a two year old. They need to realize they are becoming part of the problem and not the solution. Patience my friends, patience.

It is a sad situation when the athletic director at our rival school has a lot more class than our fans. Barry Alvarez had losing seasons for the first three years at Wisconsin. Maybe that is why he waited by Minnesota's team bus after the game to give coach Kill some encouragement and advice. Now that was a class act. Alvarez knows that it takes time and patience to turn a program around and to install a new culture. Our so called fans have as much patience and understanding as a two year old. They need to realize they are becoming part of the problem and not the solution. Patience my friends, patience.

You have heard me make some sort of reference to the bold part several times in various threads, killjoy, and I agree with you fully. But we older people are not of the "instant gratification" scenario like the armchair coaches of today who excel at vidio games, therefore can do it better in real life than the coaches can.

First down and third down efficiency on offense. There are far to many play calls on first down that are not successful enough to
convert third downs. We have to find a way to turn 3rd down and Eight into 3rd down and 2 or less. Our play action fakes seem to be meaningless as nobody is respecting any kind of fake we execute. We have not established any kind of legitimate Big10 running game.
We are running a lot of plays on first down that have minimal gains to 1 to 2 yards only. Until we can establish a running game, some kind of quick outs or short screen gains, that can gain 5 to 6 yards on first down or an over the middle passing game that can gain 5-6 even eight yards on first down were going to struggle. We have been far to predictable on first down as we seem to run the QB draw, read option to the back far to often. Nobody respects the motion of the end across the field, or the no back look, and nobody on defense is even paying attention to it because we never hardly ever run a pass, reverse action, a counter action or trap play off of it. Almost every time we go to a no back look, were going to run the read option out of the backfield. Were not giving the defense anything to keep them honest, and were certainly not catching anyone with the element of surprise or something they have not seen.
I realize offensive line continuity and youth play a role in this, but they do need to find a way to get out of those third down and long situations, that and we have to find a way to get the defense to honor or pay some respect to the play action like executing something different out of those sets. Expolisve plays given up by the defense, we have to minimize the getting caught in line stunts and the defensive line is playing to upright, we are not getting low enough to flow off the block and close down to the running backs.
The defensive backs are going to have to tackle a little better(stop taking guys on up to high) and remember there fundamentals. The defense is playing to much football. I'm not saying anything the coaches do not know, I'm sure they are constantly working at changes and teaching to get the team better at these things. Our offense is killing our defense right now, time of possesion and the scores don't lie.

....or is he playing those youngsters because they're better than the older players at their position? The newer recruits are better players. Why sit them on the bench and wait for next year when they could be getting valuable playing time. The sooner they gain experience the better for the team.

I don't think we can assume who plays is necessarily the best player. Our starting QB going forward is not the best player at the position or else he would have been starting at the beginning of the season, or the person who started the season wasn't the best because.......

The biggest issue is this is a rebuild and it will take time. It would much more palpable if Kill would stop being manipulative by saying things to help get his contract extended or take heat off of him for losing.

Aside from that (and the whole Nelson redshirt debacle) I think Kill is doing a good job and is on course.

You have heard me make some sort of reference to the bold part several times in various threads, killjoy, and I agree with you fully. But we older people are not of the "instant gratification" scenario like the armchair coaches of today who excel at vidio games, therefore can do it better in real life than the coaches can.

Thanks for your perspective. Also I don't care what station19 says about your use of larger type. I always appreciate it when I don't have to put on my glasses to read.

I don't think we can assume who plays is necessarily the best player. Our starting QB going forward is not the best player at the position or else he would have been starting at the beginning of the season, or the person who started the season wasn't the best because.......

1. Gray is hurt. Why is that so hard to understand? If he were a pocket passer, then the injuries probably wouldn't affect him nearly as much. But since he is a running QB, he needs his legs to be healthy or close to healthy for him to be effective.
2. As been said before, why isn't it believable that Nelson has just made strides with knowing the offense and making decisions since the beginning of the season? This could be especially true with Shortell vs. Nelson. Early on they went with Shortell because he knew the offense. Now Nelson has surpassed him.

You very well may be right and they're not playing the best player, but I think it's just as much likely that he is the best option NOW.

Top Bottom