Big upset???

From Vegas perspective it is, but if we put full game together we belong. This is a big opportunity for us.

When we win today is it an upset
Upset, yes. Unranked team beats a top 20 team on the road qualifies as an upset. By the end of the season it may not be viewed as such, as I think UNC is a little overrated and we are a little underrated.

Upset, yes. Unranked team beats a top 20 team on the road qualifies as an upset. By the end of the season it may not be viewed as such, as I think UNC is a little overrated and we are a little underrated.
This. Today it would be an upset. By the end of the year it may or may not be. But as things sit today, a Gopher win would be pretty universally viewed as a fairly significant upset considering NC is a 7 point favorite and playing at home.

I think our defense with just enough offense will get it done, not a big upset. Reminds me of the Auburn and Georgia Tech bowl games, no one wanted to talk about The Gophers

Great test for this gopher club. Curious to see how todays game goes. As others have said it’s a great test in the road and should give us a small idea of what we have for the year.

Had the Gophers played UNC at the end of last season instead of Syracuse, the Gophers would have been about a 7 point favorite in a bowl game.

Vegas believes UNC has improved substantially since that time and/or Minnesota has become a lot worse. I'm not sure I've seen convincing evidence of either.

I think it would come across as a perceived upset to most people, but for much of the past several years Minnesota beating North Carolina would not be an upset.

It’s an upset but not a monumental one. I would consider it a top 5 fleck era win for sure.

Define upset.

Beating a team that is putatively better? Maybe not. Lots of talk.

Winning on the road? Maybe not. Fleck has shown the ability to coach past that.

Winning against a ranked team? Maybe not. Rankings below 15 are at best guesses. Definitely teams ranked 20-35 could be considered even.

Winning despite a typical Minnesota “fan”perception that the Gophers are somehow inferior or are mislabeled due to baseless bias? Well, that might be a lot of it.

In my misguided way, I go into every game believing the Gophers have a shot.

The “realists” will tell you that it’s a mistake or character flaw. Then if Minnesota wins, it’s an upset. Warm feelings if they lose, warm feelings if they win.

I can’t be that kind of fan.

When we win today is it an upset

Yep. Look at the Media Predictions thread. Now figure the Gophers are a touchdown underdog to a Top 20 team on the road.

Of course it would be an upset.

Last edited:

Haven't beat a ranked team on the road since, what? The Eisenhower administration?

Yes, it's an upset.

Top Bottom