Big turning point...

book

Reaction score
First half - down by two and we get a steal and fast break... Austin correctly pulls up for short jumper and misses Michigan gets own break and finishes and the scores again for a 6 point lead, We never got closer than 9 until we get it late to seven once...

The turning point was Tubby substituting 5 back up players at one time. Two immediate turnovers and the barn went silent.

I disagree with you both. While both of those situations were frustrating, the fact of the matter is we went into half only down six, despite Dre's foul trouble and us playing poorly. The most critical point in most games is the first five minutes of the second half and that proved all too true tonight. I believe six was the closest we got it the entire second half and that was at halftime. They jumped out to a double digit second half lead a minute or two into the second half and that was it. We tried to claw back, but never got it closer than seven.

We were in the game at half time. The first five minutes in the second did us in.

Go Gophers!!

The turning point was Tubby substituting 5 back up players at one time. Two immediate turnovers and the barn went silent.

Just totally burns me that he keeps doing it. It just can't be that all 5 second teamers are going to play better together than if they were put in one or two at a time with the starters. The starters don't need 5 minute stretches on the bench. 2-3 minute blows and back in.

Just totally burns me that he keeps doing it. It just can't be that all 5 second teamers are going to play better together than if they were put in one or two at a time with the starters. The starters don't need 5 minute stretches on the bench. 2-3 minute blows and back in.

Michigan did the same thing. There were at least 9 bench players in during those minutes. Hardaway being the only starter left.

I disagree with you both. While both of those situations were frustrating, the fact of the matter is we went into half only down six, despite Dre's foul trouble and us playing poorly. The most critical point in most games is the first five minutes of the second half and that proved all too true tonight. I believe six was the closest we got it the entire second half and that was at halftime. They jumped out to a double digit second half lead a minute or two into the second half and that was it. We tried to claw back, but never got it closer than seven.

We were in the game at half time. The first five minutes in the second did us in.

Go Gophers!!

Agree with you Bleed the start of the second half was huge. But for me the other big thing was Andre getting that early second foul. If he doesn't do that I think we go into the half tied or better. Andre has to learn that he is absolutely critical to the team he cannot have reach in fouls like his first foul.

"Michigan did the same thing. There were at least 9 bench players in during those minutes. Hardaway being the only starter left."

Did you notice the contradiction in your statement. Michigan had at least one starter and scorer on the floor. And Michigan's second group didn't immediately turn the ball over on their first two posessions.

Go Gophers!!

all 3 of you are wrong.
6:00 to go.. rodney hits both ft's ... 69-59.
caris levert goes on a personal 5 - 0 run.

honestly.. had anyone even heard of this kid prior to 2nite?

Agree with you Bleed the start of the second half was huge. But for me the other big thing was Andre getting that early second foul. If he doesn't do that I think we go into the half tied or better. Andre has to learn that he is absolutely critical to the team he cannot have reach in fouls like his first foul.

Agreed.

After Andre went to the bench the offense seemed to struggle and the team looked frustrated and not in a flow. Some shots by Julian helped but seemed like we were always playing from behind with sloppy offense and timid defense.

Agreed.

After Andre went to the bench the offense seemed to struggle and the team looked frustrated and not in a flow. Some shots by Julian helped but seemed like we were always playing from behind with sloppy offense and timid defense.

No, disagree. You can lose the game in the first half (see Indiana game), but a 6 point halftime deficit is very manageable. The game was lost in the first 5-7 minutes of the 2nd half. All starters on the floor for us.

No, disagree. You can lose the game in the first half (see Indiana game), but a 6 point halftime deficit is very manageable. The game was lost in the first 5-7 minutes of the 2nd half. All starters on the floor for us.

The point I was trying to make was after dre went out they never got back in sync until about 10 minutes left in the game. By then it was an uphill battle.

There's not one thing that cost the game, but after dre went out they never got back into the flow until it was too late.

The point I was trying to make was after dre went out they never got back in sync until about 10 minutes left in the game. By then it was an uphill battle.

There's not one thing that cost the game, but after dre went out they never got back into the flow until it was too late.

That's the feeling I got, too. The starters - and particularly Dre - weren't in long enough after the game started to even get warmed up good. When they came back it, they weren't the same, especially without their starting point guard.

So far the team's been able to overcome these odd substitution patterns and win games, but the flaws in that method are becoming more prominent. Last night I heard all sorts of conversation around me about why we keep putting all reserves on the floor at the same time. If something doesn't seem to make sense, it probably doesn't. There's a reason why nobody else has ever done things this way. I have no problem with liberally subbing in reserves, but to do so wholesale right when your team is reeling from Dre getting his second foul and before your starters have even worked up a good sweat...well, I'd have to see the research report that recommended this kind of practice.

Belien doesn't normally sub this way. He took the opportunity when Tubby did. But you can play 4 backups with a big time scorer like Hardaway in the game. Everyone just plays their role. He can score one on one or make the play if he's doubled. Andre is our only perimeter player than can sometimes do the same. We don't have Michigans talent at guard. They had no Trevor but we are unable to fully use him.

There was also another turning point in the second half when we came out of a time out either down 9 or 7 and Coleman missed 2 free throws, and michigan went down and scored. A 4 pt swing that was the dagger. Also, really tough to win when Dre goes out with 13 minutes left and your back up is Ahamnisi who wouldn't start for St. Thomas DIII.

I think it was the 22 points of 10 first half turnovers. They had so many easy layups and dunks, and Michigan also did a great job of getting Hardaway open for clean looks from 3, where we had a hard time getting Dre open for clean looks.

I can see why Tubby felt the need to go deep to his bench early. He tried dipping into the bench on the road (Illinois and Indiana) and the bench was tight and didn't play well. I like that he went to them early and let them get a feel for the game. I just wish our bench was better. Remember ~97 team's bench with Charles Thomas, Quincy Lewis, Trevor Winter, Miles Tarver?

I can see why Tubby felt the need to go deep to his bench early. He tried dipping into the bench on the road (Illinois and Indiana) and the bench was tight and didn't play well. I like that he went to them early and let them get a feel for the game. I just wish our bench was better. Remember ~97 team's bench with Charles Thomas, Quincy Lewis, Trevor Winter, Miles Tarver?

Yeah I am not complaining about that either. Elliott Eliason actually played good and gave them a big physical presence they needed. Plus you cannot afford to pick up a 3rd in the first half which scratched Dre. Ingram did what he had to too and played decent minutes. Mainly Oto and Mav are the main culprits of the bench at this point. It was just too bad because I thought with our home crowd we need to be playing looser than the opposition, but it seemed inversed. We played small and timid, and they played big, fast and loose. No doubt Michigan is a better and more deep team, but at home, with a crowd like that your top 5 gotta step up.

There was also another turning point in the second half when we came out of a time out either down 9 or 7 and Coleman missed 2 free throws, and michigan went down and scored. A 4 pt swing that was the dagger. Also, really tough to win when Dre goes out with 13 minutes left and your back up is Ahamnisi who wouldn't start for St. Thomas DIII.
Mav would start for almost every mid major in the country.

Yeah I am not complaining about that either. Elliott Eliason actually played good and gave them a big physical presence they needed. Plus you cannot afford to pick up a 3rd in the first half which scratched Dre. Ingram did what he had to too and played decent minutes. Mainly Oto and Mav are the main culprits of the bench at this point. It was just too bad because I thought with our home crowd we need to be playing looser than the opposition, but it seemed inversed. We played small and timid, and they played big, fast and loose. No doubt Michigan is a better and more deep team, but at home, with a crowd like that your top 5 gotta step up.

I agree completely. I don't know why the team was not loose, but at home you gotta turn that to your advantage.

Not exactly a turning point, but the most depressing point for me was the lazy pass towards the top of the key that resulted in GR3's 360 dunk. The majority of starters (if not all of them) were on the floor during that time. Four of the players just stared and looked at each other (while the fifth member jogged back, only to know that it was his responsibilty to inbound the ball)...and what's Tubby supposed to do. Put in the subs to teach the starters a lesson. So, he wastes a timeout...and all five players return to floor after timeout.

I think Coleman missed 4 straight fts...

Top Bottom