Big Ten West Race

RogueGopher

Reaction score
Things will get interesting now with Wisconsin's schedule uncertainty. They can't miss 3 games and still go to Indy.

Current Standings:
1603902011302.png

i don't think they will miss 3 games...if they have bodies to field a team i would assume they will to avoid that 3rd miss.

-Gophers go 6-2, losing to uw inevitably
-badgers are 5-0 heading into last game with Iowa
-Iowa has a large pasta dinner on Tuesday of game week, forcing a covid cancellation of the wisconsin game
-
-Profit

Will be interesting to see how it all plays out. I honestly hope they are able to play enough games to qualify for whatever at the end of the season because I don't want to earn a trip to Indy based partially on the fact that teams were not able to play enough games to be eligible.

Guessing this won't be the last time a game is cancelled during this messed up 2020 season.

Looks like six isn't necessarily the magic number if there are a lot of other cancellations. According to the Wisconsin State Journal:

"a team must play at least six games to be considered for participation in the championship game. However, if the average number of conference games played by all teams falls below six, then teams must play no less than the average number of conference games played by all teams to be considered."

No. 9 Badgers' game at Nebraska canceled

What a shit show. Perhaps Warren's initial decision was very wise..

Iowa and Minnesota both at 0-2. No one saw that coming.

Standings after Week 2:

1604185030075.png

Next week's matchups:
NW vs NEB
WIS vs PUR
ILL vs MINN
IOWA vs MSU

Last edited:

Imagine if the Gophers just beat Maryland. As bad as they've looked, they'd be 1-1 with a game against Illinois coming up. The Gophers have both Northwestern and Purdue at home this year including Purdue on a short week for them as they play at home against Northwestern before traveling to Minnesota for a Friday game. With Wisconsin's season looking shaky, a B1G West Division title would still be out there for the taking. Obviously the Gophers would have had to play better football than they have to date, but things would be wide open for them with a very favorable schedule. We'd certainly have some hope if we weren't the first team in country to blow a 17 point lead in the 4th quarter this season.

Wisc would've bitched the corndicks in Lincoln, so in my mind they're also 2-0 and Neb 0-2.

Think everyone had Minn and Iowa up there, and NW and Purdue down in the lower half.

Last edited:

We lead in points scored!
I'm not a fan of including overtime stats, in the college system where it's basically a bunch of short-field conversion chances. I think that's silly.

But we'd still be second at 60, so still pretty good.

At this point I am just assuming that Northwestern is going to run away with the West. Wisconsin won't get enough games in to qualify and with everything else being backwards it makes sense that this is the kind of year where Northwestern is bound to thrive.

In all seriousness though, we can absolutely get back into the division mix but we have to start playing better now. Hopefully the coaches can get the defense back to a point of at least putting up some resistance and the offense back to playing the way it can as well. Moving forward they need to just keep scoring and avoid the urge to go into a shell with a lead.

I'm not a fan of including overtime stats, in the college system where it's basically a bunch of short-field conversion chances. I think that's silly.

But we'd still be second at 60, so still pretty good.

Overtime is part of the game and the stats absolutely should be counted. An argument can be made about what system of overtime is better, college or pro, but no matter how you do it the stats should be counted as part of the game.

Overtime is part of the game and the stats absolutely should be counted. An argument can be made about what system of overtime is better, college or pro, but no matter how you do it the stats should be counted as part of the game.
Yeah, yeah. Plenty of people will agree with you. Not a big deal.

At this point I am just assuming that Northwestern is going to run away with the West. Wisconsin won't get enough games in to qualify and with everything else being backwards it makes sense that this is the kind of year where Northwestern is bound to thrive.

In all seriousness though, we can absolutely get back into the division mix but we have to start playing better now. Hopefully the coaches can get the defense back to a point of at least putting up some resistance and the offense back to playing the way it can as well. Moving forward they need to just keep scoring and avoid the urge to go into a shell with a lead.
Could be pretty eerie how similar this year turns out to be to 2018, in more ways than one.

Iowa and Northwestern both win the early slate. NW seperating themselves at the top of the divison at 3-0.
Wisconsin really benefits from not having to play games right now. Every team has to do more to win the division than the Badgers. Totally fair.

Iowa and Northwestern both win the early slate. NW seperating themselves at the top of the divison at 3-0.
Wisconsin really benefits from not having to play games right now. Every team has to do more to win the division than the Badgers. Totally fair.
If Wisconsin misses another game they are out of contention

and that would include if their opponent cancels the game

After Week 3:

1604793598582.png

Notes:
  • Northwestern stays undefeated.
  • Iowa looked good.
  • Wisconsin is on the edge of losing eligibility to play in Indy.
  • Gophers get their first win in a blowout.
  • Nebraska still stinks.
  • Illinois barely able to field a team.
Next Week:
  • Iowa at Minnesota (Friday night)
  • Illinois at Rutgers
  • NW at Purdue
  • PSU at Nebraska
  • Wisconsin at Michigan

Would love Wisconsin to not win next week.
If Wisconsin either doesn’t play or loses, I am confident the gophers control their own destiny (even though they wouldn’t)

If Wisconsin misses another game they are out of contention

and that would include if their opponent cancels the game
Only if other teams don't cancel games. If the average number of games played drops below 6 then you just need to more then the average number.

However, every week that passes, the less likely that happens.

Only if other teams don't cancel games. If the average number of games played drops below 6 then you just need to more then the average number.

However, every week that passes, the less likely that happens.
With each team already playing 2-3 it would take a lot of cancelations to drop that average

85 games played puts the average above 6. If zero games Are played the rest of the way we are already at 19

Top Bottom