Big Ten Title game going to Las Vegas?

Las Vegas is the spot for numerous conference basketball tournaments. Football would probably do well there also.
It already has done well in Vegas, strictly in terms of attendance for the two PAC 12 Championship games that have been there.

Previously it was in Santa Clara. Other than the year Stanford played USC, the Vegas attendance was much better.

I happened to be in Vegas both years. Both games the Utes outdrew future Big 10 fanbases by a large margin (Oregon & USC) as well as on the scoreboard.

It already has done well in Vegas, strictly in terms of attendance for the two PAC 12 Championship games that have been there.

Previously it was in Santa Clara. Other than the year Stanford played USC, the Vegas attendance was much better.

I happened to be in Vegas both years. Both games the Utes outdrew future Big 10 fanbases by a large margin (Oregon & USC) as well as on the scoreboard.

I mean yeah it was previously at a location nobody liked ... and that was the PAC, a conference so dysfunctional they're falling apart...

B1G Championship game attendance doesn't seem to be a problem:

Great idea for a rotating championship game but they should really move it around to sites that are also driveable for the majority of the B1G states. Vegas seems to be an easier destination for short notice trips like the CCG. Some B1G schools have a lot of alumni such as retirees in NV/AZ/CA who could drive.
Rotate it to Indy, Ford, US Bank as well. How about the proposed Bears stadium - is that roof retractable?

You make good points. Vegas definitely has it's +'s and -'s. It would be interesting to try it and see how it works. I think that from most BIG10 cities people could drive two hours (or less) and find a direct flight to Sin City.
And the tickets are always cheap even here from a Iowa airport.

The US Bank Stadium should be part of the rotation.
I actually think it should always be Indianapolis
Realistically a driveable weekend from all 14 big ten teams. Now 14/18

Vegas driveable weekend trip for maybe 3
For Vegas, Eugene is the 3rd closest drive at 14 hours. For Indianapolis Piscataway is the 14th closest drive at 11 hours.

Last edited:

Other than US Bank we have to drive a significant distance, I'll take Vegas over Indy.

Other than US Bank we have to drive a significant distance, I'll take Vegas over Indy.
Indianapolis is a 9 hour drive from my house
Vegas is 23

I’ll take Indy if I’m trying to do a spur of the moment trip for cheap. I know my budget isn’t the goal.

What the hell. Let's go all in and see how much money the Saudis will fork over to host the BIG Championship game in Riyadh. Lots of wholesome things to do there also.

The US Bank Stadium should be part of the rotation.
It should be the permanent location. Anywhere else is just stupid at this point.

Indoor stadium, airport hub connected to mass transit, large hotels, now centrally located in the conference footprint and NO bowl game past, present or future. No other city checks all of these boxes.

I actually think it should always be Indianapolis
Realistically a driveable weekend from all 14 big ten teams. Now 14/18

Vegas driveable weekend trip for maybe 3
For Vegas, Eugene is the 3rd closest drive at 14 hours. For Indianapolis Piscataway is the 14th closest drive at 11 hours.
There are things called airplanes that fly to LV from most major airports for not too much money.

It should be the permanent location. Anywhere else is just stupid at this point.

Indoor stadium, airport hub connected to mass transit, large hotels, now centrally located in the conference footprint and NO bowl game past, present or future. No other city checks all of these boxes.
Really cramped concourse though…

B1G is exploring moving the Championship Game Location

The rapidly expanding Big 10 Conference is considering moving its football championship game, and Las Vegas is reportedly one of the cities under consideration.

The game, which has been staged in Indianapolis since its inception in 2011, would be held at Allegiant Stadium, home of the NFL’s Las Vegas Raiders. The $1.9 billion stadium, which opened in July 2020, already has ties to college football, as it serves as UNLV’s home field and the host of the Las Vegas Bowl.

The Big 10 has asked us to submit proposals. I’m sure they have asked a number of cities. We are certainly interested, will put our best foot forward and know there is no better place for their football championship,” Steve Hill, the Las Vegas Convention and Visitors Authority (LVCVA) president and chief executive officer, said in an interview with the Las Vegas Review-Journal.

Darth Vader would approve of that stadium!

Thread already started here btw!

It would be nice if they chose US Bank Stadium, but the smell of Las Vegas money trumps other sites.

“Those who look for the bad in people will surely find it.” Abe Lincoln​

I think Las Vegas would increase attendance most years. If it is scheduled there some people will just plan for it and hope their team is participating. Lots of wholesome fun stuff in Las Vegas along with the sleazy.
Allegiant Stadium seats a couple thousand less than Luxas Oil. Has the game not sold out in Indy?

How does sports betting result in "additional money flow" to the B1G?
Perhaps not the gambling money directly but I would not doubt that whatever the LV tourism promotion office is called, it has funds to recruit and attract events like this. Maybe it isn't a windfall but I bet there's some financial incentive provided by LV to event organizers like the Big 10. Gambling proceeds no doubt fund such a slush fund.

Perhaps not the gambling money directly but I would not doubt that whatever the LV tourism promotion office is called, it has funds to recruit and attract events like this. Maybe it isn't a windfall but I bet there's some financial incentive provided by LV to event organizers like the Big 10. Gambling proceeds no doubt fund such a slush fund.
Just a small note, the Big 10 is already tied into LV/Allegiant Stadium having sent a team to the Las Vegas Bowl in 2021 and slated to in 2023 and 2025.

Currently the PAC 12 hosts a team from the SEC & Big 10 in alternating years. Not sure what will happen when it's the PAC 4 and friends.

I personally would be a fan of a rotating location for the Big Ten title game, but I understand that could make attendance from year to year spotty.
Been to most of the BIG games in Indy. Great venue but I agree it should rotate. It will not affect attendance in my opinion. Vegas is good for accomodations for sure.

Allegiant Stadium seats a couple thousand less than Luxas Oil. Has the game not sold out in Indy?
My argument was defending Las Vegas as something other than sleazy and being a detriment to family values.
You make an excellent point. My only thought would be they expect USC, Oregon, UCLA, or Washington to be annual participants in the game? Otherwise why fix what ain't broken?

Big Ten maybe says we can make even more money in Vegas charging higher prices....more appeal and glamor. I don't know...not advocating they move the game. Just saying Las Vegas is not a horrible place.
All time attendance record

Top Bottom