Big Ten Title game going to Las Vegas?

I personally would be a fan of a rotating location for the Big Ten title game, but I understand that could make attendance from year to year spotty.

Itd be a pretty cool spot for a one-off championship game. Its hard to imagine that a game of best Midwest vs best West coast teams wouldn’t draw a strong crowd there too.

giphy.gif

Itd be a pretty cool spot for a one-off championship game. Its hard to imagine that a game of best Midwest vs best West coast teams wouldn’t draw a strong crowd there too.
I think the location of Vegas itself sells the game. They were talking about the Vikings going to Vegas later this fall and claimed it was the most anticipated away game the Vikings have had in years - I am guessing it isn't because of the Raiders, they aren't good.

You can make a true vacation out of the trip.

If the Big 10 Football Championship game is going to Vegas, I would imagine the Big 10 Basketball Tournament could also rotate there as well.

Las Vegas is always a fun, desirable destination for sports fans. The Raiders and Golden Knights sell a LOT of tickets to visiting fans. But the bulk of those games are scheduled many months in advance and fans can plan their Vegas trip to link with their team playing there. This is different. Comparably short notice and the need for last minute hotels and plane tickets to attend.

Indy is a boring destination but the bulk of the B1G is within a day’s drive.

Translation: does a desirable location needing last minute plane tickets = a boring location with easy drivable accessibility in terms of filling the stadium with fans?

I get that USC and UCLA can drive to Vegas, but that is two out of 18. It would be around 13-14 out of 18 for Indy.

I personally would be a fan of a rotating location for the Big Ten title game, but I understand that could make attendance from year to year spotty.
I think it would do the opposite. I would think you'd get more local people going if it's your only opportunity to go for the next 4-5 years. When it's in the same place every year, going isn't a big deal unless it's your team playing.

Las Vegas is always a fun, desirable destination for sports fans. The Raiders and Golden Knights sell a LOT of tickets to visiting fans. But the bulk of those games are scheduled many months in advance and fans can plan their Vegas trip to link with their team playing there. This is different. Comparably short notice and the need for last minute hotels and plane tickets to attend.

Translation: does a desirable location needing last minute plane tickets = a boring location with easy drivable accessibility in terms of filling the stadium with fans?

I get that USC and UCLA can drive to Vegas, but that is two out of 18. It would be around 13-14 out of 18 for Indy.
You make good points. Vegas definitely has it's +'s and -'s. It would be interesting to try it and see how it works. I think that from most BIG10 cities people could drive two hours (or less) and find a direct flight to Sin City.

Las Vegas is the spot for numerous conference basketball tournaments. Football would probably do well there also.

You make good points. Vegas definitely has it's +'s and -'s. It would be interesting to try it and see how it works. I think that from most BIG10 cities people could drive two hours (or less) and find a direct flight to Sin City.
Could maybe see some Big Ten fans just make it an annual trip that they go on no matter if their team is playing or not. Your team's not playing? It's still Vegas.

Not sure I can think of a less desirable place to go. Dirty, raunchy with no family friendly redeeming qualities. But if it’s all about the money, then embrace its potential additional money flow from sports betting.
How does sports betting result in "additional money flow" to the B1G?

I think the location of Vegas itself sells the game. They were talking about the Vikings going to Vegas later this fall and claimed it was the most anticipated away game the Vikings have had in years - I am guessing it isn't because of the Raiders, they aren't good.

Is this a situation where you need to “sell the game”?

Has attendance been bad for these games?

Flight and hotel reservations can be cancelled.

Your hookers will find other Johns.

I mean if that's your jam. I've been there 4-5 times for work or conferences. It's not on my list for an actual vacation. Seems over the top commercialized. I don't gamble, and the shows can be pretty expensive, but it is great for people watching. I would go there for the F1 race because it is a street race.

Last edited:

“Those who look for the bad in people will surely find it.” Abe Lincoln​

I think Las Vegas would increase attendance most years. If it is scheduled there some people will just plan for it and hope their team is participating. Lots of wholesome fun stuff in Las Vegas along with the sleazy.

Is this a situation where you need to “sell the game”?

Has attendance been bad for these games?
I probably used the wrong terminology when I said Vegas sells itself.

I just looked up Delta flights for December 15-17. Its a week later than the Big Ten Championship game, but the Vikings/Raiders game is 12/10 and tickets were basically sold out on Delta for basic economy.

2 hour flight to Indianapolis for 340
3 hour flight to Las Vegas for 470

For an extra $130 I can spend a weekend in Vegas (entertainment, food, weather) vs. Indianapolis.

The come back is I can easily take a day to drive to Indianapolis but can't to Vegas.

I just looked up Delta flights for December 15-17. Its a week later than the Big Ten Championship game, but the Vikings/Raiders game is 12/10 and tickets were basically sold out on Delta for basic economy.

For an extra $130 I can spend a weekend in Vegas (entertainment, food, weather) vs. Indianapolis.

The come back is I can easily take a day to drive to Indianapolis but can't to Vegas.
It’s an easy trip no doubt.

But unless we’re short on fans at the game… that as an advantage doesn’t make much sense.

I'm kind of surprised it never rotated to U.S. Bank Stadium or Ford Field. As for Vegas, I get the financial draw but it seems so odd to me when it's still not in the new B1G footprint.

If it were to be put out west, Lumen Field, the Rose Bowl or Sofi Stadium all make more sense with Washington and USC/UCLA in mind.

Las Vegas is the spot for numerous conference basketball tournaments. Football would probably do well there also.
Yep, four of them. Mountain West, PAC-12, WAC and WCC.

Not sure I can think of a less desirable place to go. Dirty, raunchy with no family friendly redeeming qualities. But if it’s all about the money, then embrace its potential additional money flow from sports betting.
There's a lot more to Vegas than gambling, strip clubs, and hookers. Sure there's plenty of non "family-friendly" activity, but also plenty to do for families.

Often, you can fly to Las Vegas for a couple hundred dollars. I think near Christmas is a premium time and far out is also often higher in price. Trying to say I don't think $470 is a typical fare...it is high.
But, even if it is typical for December, as you said there are other benefits to Las Vegas.

Top Bottom