Big ten tiebreakers if games aren’t played?

Some guy

Reaction score
Has anyone seen anything published on this:

say for instance wisconsin gets Covid and doesn’t play 2 games.

they finish 6-0 and 5-0 in the division
the Game they miss is in the division and is to a team that finishes 6-1 5-0

Who wins that tiebreaker
6-0 wisconsin
6-1 Minnesota or 6-1 Iowa who Wisconsin had to cancel on

I haven’t seen anything published. I imagine they’d have to go by win pct. with the tie-breaker for undefeated teams being most games played, and then something obscure like point differential or a coin flip.

I’d have a hard time punishing teams for missing games due to covid if there wasn’t any evidence of poor decisions. Plenty of careful people have contracted the virus and that gets even more difficult on a college campus.

It’d be a pretty lousy situation for all involved. Hopefully teams can stay covid free or it doesn’t end up impacting division title results.

I haven’t seen anything published. I imagine they’d have to go by win pct. with the tie-breaker for undefeated teams being most games played, and then something obscure like point differential or a coin flip.

I’d have a hard time punishing teams for missing games due to covid if there wasn’t any evidence of poor decisions. Plenty of careful people have contracted the virus and that gets even more difficult on a college campus.

It’d be a pretty lousy situation for all involved. Hopefully teams can stay covid free or it doesn’t end up impacting division title results.
For sure.

but I would imagine they would sit rules going in...so I was just wondering if they said what they were

For sure.

but I would imagine they would sit rules going in...so I was just wondering if they said what they were

I think they probably have an idea, but I'd guess they don't release anything officially until a game is actually cancelled with no makeup date. I think we might see some midweek games this season.

I think they probably have an idea, but I'd guess they don't release anything officially until a game is actually cancelled with no makeup date. I think we might see some midweek games this season.
Yes. I think that if division games are canceled they do some short week games to reschedule and maybe play 3 games in 15 days at the end.

non-division games I don’t think they reschedule

It should be based on win pct, but with a minimum games played condition. I would say minimum of 6 games would be fair.

Something to think about:
If you had:
Team A: 6-0/7-0
Team B: 8-0
*Their head-to-head isn't played
The division winner would could be decided by a random draw.

Top Bottom