Big Ten seeding

tjgopher

Reaction score
Am I right in thinking that if we lose to Purdue tomorrow, we lock ourselves into the #8/#9 game at the BTT (no matter what happens with the other teams around us)??

If you look at the chart, you are right. A loss and we are in the 8/9 game. And we are locked into 6/7 with a win.

If you look at the chart, you are right. A loss and we are in the 8/9 game. And we are locked into 6/7 with a win.

Unfortunately, looks like there is no way we can get the #6 seed while Wisconsin gets the #3 seed. That would be ideal. Both can happen individually, but not collectively. At least if I'm reading that mind-numbing chart properly.

That's how I am reading it, as well. Wisconsin needs Illinois to beat Ohio State to get the three seed. They also need a Michigan loss. If Illinois wins, we need a Michigan win to get the six seed.

With that in mind... I almost like a matchup against Indiana more than any other team. For whatever reason, we have played them close every time. That is not so true for the other teams.

Of course, this all assumes the accuracy of that chart.

With Iowa playing at home against Nebraska, we're most likely looking at #9 if we lose to Purdue as expected. 9th place...sigh.

Most likely scenarios (assumes Iowa beats Nebraska & Illinois loses to Ohio State). ...

Win = #6 vs. Northwestern
Lose = #9 vs. Illinois

Last thing I want as someone attending the BTT is the Gophers losing the very first game of the tournament. ("We hardly knew ya'.") That pretty much takes the steam out of it just two hours into the darn thing.

Please beat Purdue & give me another crack at Northwestern's 1-3-1 zone. Will take my chances because at least that means I can enjoy 3 games before the Gophers take the court.

Big Ten Seeding

The top 5 teams playing Sunday and seeing will being given out then. Assuming Illinois loses to OSU and Minnesota, Illinois and Purdue are tied with 8-10 conference record but how are these three teams seeded? Will the seeding of the top teams effect how the others are seeded? We know no matter what Indiana is number one but OSU, UM, MSU can be seeded anywhere from 2-5 along with Wisconsin. Minnesota and Illinois beat Indiana but Minnesota beat to MSU and Illinois beat OSU so this could possibly effect the positions between both teams. Can anyone help me with this conundrum. Thanks.

So with Iowa winning today and us losing it looks to me like we will be the #9 seed and play Purdue if Illinois wins tomorrow and play Illinois if they lose tomorrow.

So with Iowa winning today and us losing it looks to me like we will be the #9 seed and play Purdue if Illinois wins tomorrow and play Illinois if they lose tomorrow.

Tangent alert: I didn't get to watch much Iowa / Nebraska, but from what I did see I had an observation. Nebraska beat us because they were smarter than us. Today they faced a team that they were not mental giants in comparison to, and they looked kind of pedestrian as a result.

I can help. Just check back in tomorrow when it's all official. Don't worry about it, have a beer and relax.

I can help. Just check back in tomorrow when it's all official. Don't worry about it, have a beer and relax.

Agree with you, CP. Too damned many transitive properties in the OP to figure it out, so I will definitely follow your instructions. Much easier.

This.....and just keep counting Iowa out. Sit back and relax...think about all those billboards around the twin cities advertising the University of Iowa and the lone soldier who donated to gopherhole so you could see black and gold from home on your own website. Just forget about all that and pretend it never happened.

The #6 through #12 seeds are set...unless I'm mistaken.

If Illinois loses...

Iowa is #6.

The common records among the 8-10 teams:
Illinois is 2-2
Purdue is 2-1
Minnesota is 1-2

So that's your seeding right there. Iowa #6, Illinois #7, Purdue #8 and Minnesota #9.

If Illinois wins...

Iowa gets #6 due to winning their one game against Iowa
Illinois gets #7 due to losing their one game against Illinois
Purdue gets #8 due to winning their one game against Minnesota
Minnesota gets #9 due to losing their one game against Purdue.

If Nebraska wins, they are #10.
If Nebraska loses, they are #10 (won their one game against Northwestern).

So, here is your 6-12 final seeding:
6. Iowa
7. Illinois
8. Purdue
9. Minnesota
10. Nebraska
11. Northwestern
12. Penn State

It's simple for Gophers now. They'll be #9 seed.

If Illinois beats Ohio State Gophers will play #8 Purdue.

If Illinois loses Illinois will be #8 and play Gophers, with Purdue being #7.

It's simple for Gophers now. They'll be #9 seed.

If Illinois beats Ohio State Gophers will play #8 Purdue.

If Illinois loses Illinois will be #8 and play Gophers, with Purdue being #7.

That's not how I read it...

MULTIPLE-TEAM TIE

1. Results of head-to-head competition during the regular season.

A. When comparing records against a single team or a group of teams, the higher winning percentage shall prevail, even if the number of games played against the team or group are unequal (i.e., 2-0 is better than 3-1); in the case of tied percentages vs. the team or group of 1.000 or .000 the following shall apply: 2-0 is better than 1-0; 0-1 is better than 0-2.
B. After the top team among the tied teams is determined, the second team is ranked by its record among the original tied teams, not the head-to-head record vs. the remaining team(s).

Sorry about that Bruce, I think we were composing posts at the same time.

Gophers successfully put themselves into the worst possible scenario. ... opening with a quasi road game vs. the Illini. Let's just get to the NCAA and see who we get. Am ready to play someone from outside the Big 10.

After the butt-kicking today, I'd almost rather play Illinois if it was in Indy. In Chicago, give me Purdue.

After the butt-kicking today, I'd almost rather play Illinois if it was in Indy. In Chicago, give me Purdue.

Ha, we keep looking around for teams we can beat, and it's hard to find anyone.

The #6 through #12 seeds are set...unless I'm mistaken.

If Illinois loses...

Iowa is #6.

The common records among the 8-10 teams:
Illinois is 2-2 (.500)
Purdue is 2-1 (.667)
Minnesota is 1-2 (.333)

So that's your seeding right there. Iowa #6, Illinois #7, Purdue #8 and Minnesota #9.

That 2-1 record is the best in the group, therefore, Purdue would get the #7. As, Selection Sunday said, if Illinois wins, we play Purdue. If Illinois loses, we play Illinois. It is simply that simple.

Top Bottom