Big Ten preview: Stacked league is rich in returning talent

Blizzard

Reaction score
It appears there will be an article each day this week-

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basket...cked-league-is-rich-in-retur?urn=ncaab-269102

More from The Dagger's Big Ten Preview
• MONDAY: Stacked Big Ten is rich in returning talent
• TUESDAY: Big Ten projections, five storylines to watch
• WEDNESDAY: Ex-Michigan State star Mateen Cleaves forecasts the Big Ten
• THURSDAY: 15 must-see Big Ten games
• FRIDAY: Q&A with Illinois freshman Meyers Leonard

Here's the first one:

As forward JaJuan Johnson wrestled with whether to enter the NBA draft or stay in school this past spring, Purdue fans did everything they could to persuade him to come back for his senior season.

A friend offered to do his homework all year. A complete stranger promised to cook him his favorite meal. One Purdue coed even told him she'd go on a date with him if he promised to return for one last go-round with Robbie Hummel and Etwaun Moore.

"It was a very difficult decision to make, but obviously a lot of people were happy when I came back to school" Johnson said. "I pretty much wrote down the positives and negatives and talked to my family, my coaches and my teammates. I went back and forth a lot that final week but now I'm at peace with my decision."

That so many of Johnson's Big Ten peers also decided to return to school rather than enter the NBA draft this past spring is the biggest reason why the conference is expected to be especially strong next year. Ten of the 15 all-Big Ten performers from last season are back, raising hopes that the conference can improve upon the five NCAA tournament bids and three Sweet 16 teams it produced a year ago.

Reigning co-Big Ten champs Michigan State and Purdue return enough talent to likely begin the season ranked in the top five. Ohio State loses national player of the year Evan Turner, but brings back his entire supporting cast and adds McDonald's All-American Jared Sullinger. And Illinois, Wisconsin, Minnesota and Northwestern are each veteran-laden teams that begin the season with legitimate aspirations to at least make the NCAA tournament and perhaps win a game or two.

"Coaches always build up their conference, but I think we're going to be particularly good next year," Northwestern coach Bill Carmody said. "There are just so many returning players that are good. Sometimes you get young guys in there and you might be able to knock them off, but this year the talented guys are juniors and seniors. It's always competitive, but it just seems like it's going to be at a higher level than it has been."

It's a testament to the caliber of Big Ten talent that's returning that Carmody would make such a statement because it's not as though the league has been a punching bag recently. A record seven Big Ten teams earned NCAA bids two years ago and five made it last season, though nobody besides Michigan State has experienced much success after the first weekend of the tournament.

Coaching stability throughout the league has played a role in its steady improvement, but it also took a perfect storm of factors for so many teams to have the opportunity to flourish at the same time.

An Achilles injury suffered during the NCAA tournament is the only reason Michigan State's Kalin Lucas didn't enter the NBA draft last spring. Johnson and Moore also might not have come back were it not for the late-season knee injury Hummel suffered that deprived Purdue of the third weapon it needed to make a Final Four run. Other stars like Illinois' Demetri McCamey, Northwestern's John Shurna, Wisconsin's Jon Leuer or Ohio State's William Buford weren't satisfied with their draft stock after last season and opted to return to try to improve it.

The result is a conference that former Michigan State star Mateen Cleaves believes compares favorably to his junior and senior seasons in 1999 and 2000 when the Spartans were joined by Ohio State and Wisconsin in the Final Four.

"I really do think it will be a strong season for the Big Ten, as strong as it was when I was playing," Cleaves said. "I think it will be really competitive during the season, but some teams will really prosper in the NCAA tournament."

Even in a league as dominated by upperclassmen as the Big Ten, perhaps no team has more urgency next season than Purdue. The trio of Johnson, Moore and Hummel have accomplished great things in their first three years of college, but this is their final chance to lead the Boilermakers to a Final Four.

Such a competitive Big Ten could be seen as a hindrance to that quest since Purdue will likely jeopardize its seeding with a couple losses, but Johnson prefers to see the silver lining.

"If you win the Big Ten, no matter what you put yourself in position to get a high seed in the NCAA tournament, he said. "It seems like from top to bottom the Big Ten is going to be pretty strong this year. That definitely helps prepare you for March because it keeps you on edge and keeps you sharp."

Time to end the Big Ten's title drought

There's no pussyfooting around it. ... it's time for the Big Ten to win a national championship. The Big Ten hasn't won it all since 2000. Plenty of appearances in the Final Four & championship game since that time, but no titles.

If ever there's a year to get it done again, this is it. Lots of experienced teams. Two legitimate national title contenders (Purdue & Sparty) and perhaps a third one (OSU). At the bare minimum, if the Big Ten doesn't get a team to the Final Four this season, it will be an unqualified failure.

You should take the "perhaps" out of that equation, SS. OSU has a better shot at a national title this season than they had in 2007, partly because Florida was especially good that year and there doesn't appear to be a team this season that can be quite as good as the Gators were that year. I am not sure why the writer chose to call Purdue and MSU as the co-champs while not putting that label on OSU as well - perhaps they are looking for an artificial hook to support calling those two better than OSU even when they weren't. No doubt OSU deserves to be considered on par with those other two & I really think they will win the league again if they stay healthy.

I agree that this is the year when the Big Ten ought to end their title drought, although I think Purdue and OSU have the best chances of pulling it off.

Is Jared Sullinger that good? I'm not sure I understand all the love for tOSU with Evan Turner no longer on the roster. They struggled without Turner and weren't particularly deep. I think they'll be good, but great? What am I missing?

i think they are a PG away from a great team, and i dont think Buford or lighty can be evan turner. Sullinger will be good, but....its not like other teams in the B10 don't have good post players.

I really think Sullinger will be the best player in the Big Ten this season & he will have a great chance at making first team All-American this season as well, perhaps NPOY. That's where the "perhaps" belongs when you talk about OSU this year. They weren't deep last year, but it's a new year and they have several new players on the team - sure, not all of them will play, but some of them will. Now they have the ability to bring a McDonald's AA off the bench as their sixth man, a significant upgrade from the sixth man last year (they didn't have a quality sixth man last year).

OSUfan youre a respectable person, but your drinking some red koolaid. Maybe your right, but there are some damn good players in the B10 and in the country, and all of them have more experience.

There were a lot of good players who had 'more experience' than John Wall, DeMarcus Cousins, Kevin Love, Michael Beasley, Kevin Durant and Greg Oden - all of whom were first team AP All-Americans as freshmen, all in the last four seasons. Durant was NPOY while Wall and Beasley were runner-up for NPOY. Sullinger and Harrison Barnes should be the leading candidates for NPOY this season IMO.

I agree that this is the year when the Big Ten ought to end their title drought, although I think Purdue and OSU have the best chances of pulling it off.

It's just my feeling but I'm guessing Hummel doesn't come back as the same player. I think that's a big question mark on Purdue's season.

Point guard and ball handling is a big issue with Ohio St. They have every other piece needed for a great season. But pt guard is one area that can ruin a team-see Texas last year.

I'd be shocked if we lost a game this year. We are just too deep, talented, and tough against the other teams in the Big Ten. Minnesota will cruise through the NCAA tournament and Tubby will get his second national title. I'd be suprised if we didn't win all our games by double digits in this coming basketball season.

Is Jared Sullinger that good? I'm not sure I understand all the love for tOSU with Evan Turner no longer on the roster. They struggled without Turner and weren't particularly deep. I think they'll be good, but great? What am I missing?

Sullinger is only a freshman and maybe people are a little to high on him at the moment. But, I saw him, on T.V., play Cory Joseph's Findley team. Sullinger pulled off a close win nearly single handedly. He is beast on the boards and an excellent shooter from anywhere inside the arc.

It's just my feeling but I'm guessing Hummel doesn't come back as the same player. I think that's a big question mark on Purdue's season.

Maybe so but I think the Boilers have a real good shot at a school record 30 W season.

Top Bottom