Big Ten Power Rankings: Week of 10/25

BleedGopher

Reaction score
SI is first out of the gate:

8. Minnesota (0-1) *** Preseason ranking: 4
  • Last week: Lost to Michigan 49-24
  • This week: Minnesota at Maryland, 7;30 p.m. ET Friday night (TV: ESPN)
  • The skinny: Minnesota got pounded at home by Michigan, which was something of a surprise that the Gophers' defense struggled so much. The Gophers take the biggest drop in the rankings, and clearly have some work to do.

Go Gophers!!

Detroit News chimes in:

6. Minnesota (0-1) – The Golden Gophers had no answers for Michigan’s offense as the Wolverines ran for more than 250 yards and controlled the game after Minnesota cashed in on a blocked punt. The passing game never really got rolling for the Gophers, though running back Mohamed Ibrahim ran well, gaining 140 yards on 26 carries with a pair of touchdowns.

Go Gophers!!

USA Today chimes in:

11. Minnesota: As expected, this defense is going to take a step back without several major contributors off last year's unit. It'll be on the offense to offset this decline and keep the Golden Gophers in the mix for a division title. For now, it's safe to say that Minnesota won't match last year's breakthrough under P.J. Fleck.

Go Gophers!!

Hoosier Huddle chimes in:

6. MINNESOTA (0-1, LOST TO MICHIGAN 49-24)
Expectations are high in Minneapolis after the Gophers put together an impressive season in 2019. Unfortunately, Minnesota looked heavily overmatched on opening night and were dominated on both sides of the ball. After taking an early 7-0 lead, the Gophers were outscored 49-17 the rest of the game. Minnesota will need to rebound next week and they’ll have an opportunity to do so against a struggling Maryland squad.

Next Week vs. Maryland (Friday 7:30pm ET)

Go Gophers!!

Wow, everything from 6 - 11. Big spread. Things will become more clear as the season moves along -- just like they do every year. I hope it's 6 or above, but nobody knows right now how quickly the defense will improve, whether the OL will protect better, who will be in/out due to COVID, etc.

Wow, everything from 6 - 11. Big spread. Things will become more clear as the season moves along -- just like they do every year. I hope it's 6 or above, but nobody knows right now how quickly the defense will improve, whether the OL will protect better, who will be in/out due to COVID, etc.
From what I saw, it’s between Illini and Gophers for the bottom spot in the West. Both teams have glaring issues on D. Iowa and PU looked good all around and NU is much improved. Who knows about NE. Then there is Becky.

MLive chimes in:

6. MINNESOTA (0-1)
The preseason narrative around the Gophers focused on the return of Tanner Morgan and then Rashod Bateman opting back in, but it also included the asterisk of a rebuilding defense. That was clear Saturday night, as Michigan got whatever it wanted, including 253 yards on the ground. Bateman had 101 yards on nine catches, but Morgan was just a bit off overall after a record 2019. There’s work to be done if P.J. Fleck’s crew is going to contend. (Last week: 3)

Up next: Minnesota at Maryland, 7:30 p.m. Friday

Go Gophers!!

6-7 seems fair given the loss to Michigan. I don't think putting Northwestern ahead of the Gophers because they badly beat Maryland makes much sense. That's an awfully small sample size of 1 game against a bad opponent to make that type of leap. In the same way, I don't think the Gophers should move up from 6-7 if they do beat Maryland this week.

After just 1 game the B-10 should not have not put out power rankings until the 3rd game. Nore should their be a ranking by the NCAA until the third game!

Top Bottom