Big Ten Power Rankings - Week 6 Thread

hello-world

It's aggressive to be ranking Minnesota ahead of teams like Iowa and Michigan State. I don't agree with that at all. We're still pretty solidly a bottom half team in the B1G.

WriterGoph

It's aggressive to be ranking Minnesota ahead of teams like Iowa and Michigan State. I don't agree with that at all. We're still pretty solidly a bottom half team in the B1G.
So you think we should be ranked 8th or lower?? That's nuts. Who would be in the Top 7 if not us?

Also, at what point this season will you feel that we deserve to be in the Top 7?

hello-world

So you think we should be ranked 8th or lower?? That's nuts. Who would be in the Top 7 if not us?

Also, at what point this season will you feel that we deserve to be in the Top 7?
I would put Ohio State, Wisconsin, Penn State, Michigan, Michigan State, Iowa ahead of us for sure which puts us at #7.

Then you could make arguments for Indiana and Maryland which could drop us as far down as #9.

If Minnesota beats Nebraska this week then I will reassess.

Last edited:

U2Gopher

[/b]

Based on what?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
While I do NOT agree with the poster’s take that we are “solidly a bottom half of the Big 10 team,” I’m not sure we are top 5 either. We need to close the deal and win the next three games before thinking like that. If we get to 8-0 with Penn State coming here, we are at worst probably the 5th best team in the league, and then we’ll see where we stack up against the upper half after running the gauntlet at the end.

But if we truly are a top half team, we should be able to take care of business the next three weeks. We’ll see......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WriterGoph

I would put Ohio State, Wisconsin, Penn State, Michigan, Michigan State, Iowa ahead of us for sure which puts us at #7.

Then you could make arguments for Indiana and Maryland which could drop us as far down as #9.

If Minnesota beats Nebraska this week then I will reassess.
You just lost your credibility. Maryland lost to Temple and got absolutely shredded at home by Penn St. You think they're arguably better than the Gophers? Because they beat Rutgers and Syracuse??

Also, just FYI, being ranked #7 in a 14-team conference is not "solidly a bottom-half team". Hyperbole much?

hungan1

IMHO, to get respect nationally that they'll deserve they must win out the next three and upset Penn State. Also, the Gophers as a team seem to get better in small increments each game.

They really cannot take any team for granted this season. Barring any injuries, we have lots to look forward to this special season.

Maybe then, Game Day will finally come to The Bank for the Penn State Game!

hello-world

You just lost your credibility. Maryland lost to Temple and got absolutely shredded at home by Penn St. You think they're arguably better than the Gophers? Because they beat Rutgers and Syracuse??

Also, just FYI, being ranked #7 in a 14-team conference is not "solidly a bottom-half team". Hyperbole much?
Have you watched Maryland's offense when it's clicking this year?
Yeah, their defense sucks and their offense is boom-or-bust, but when they are on, they are a damn good team.

HoustonTXGopher

These ranking are all fine with me. Keep disrespecting us. I hope we are treated like Rodney Dangerfield of BIG football all year long. Just win baby!

WriterGoph

Have you watched Maryland's offense when it's clicking this year?
Yeah, their defense sucks and their offense is boom-or-bust, but when they are on, they are a damn good team.
It clicked against Howard, Syracuse and Rutgers. What happened against Temple?

everybody knows my name

Freakishly Hyperintelligent
Based on what?
I'll answer this. Sure they've got five wins, but the best team the Gophers have beaten so far this year are probably Fresno State and Purdue - a 2-2 Mountain West team and one of the three worst teams in the Big Ten. And they came this close || to losing to SDSU and GSU. You have to earn your way to the top, and the Gophers haven't done that yet.

I think they can, but they haven't yet.

WriterGoph

I'll answer this. Sure they've got five wins, but the best team the Gophers have beaten so far this year are probably Fresno State and Purdue - a 2-2 Mountain West team and one of the three worst teams in the Big Ten. And they came this close || to losing to SDSU and GSU. You have to earn your way to the top, and the Gophers haven't done that yet.

I think they can, but they haven't yet.
This is fair, but to be a "solidly bottom-half team" they are ranked 8-9 or lower. So please tell me, who have Maryland, Indiana or Nebraska beaten this year?

Nebraska - South Alabama, Northern Illinois, Illinois and (conference winless) Northwestern
Indiana - Ball State, Eastern Illinois and UConn
Maryland - Howard, Rutgers (maybe worst P5 team) and (badly overrated at the time) Syracuse

So yes, given that most of the above wins (minus Rutgers and Illinois) took place at home and we have beaten Fresno and Purdue on the road already, I would 1000% CLEARLY put us ahead of all 3 of those teams. Not to mention, Indiana and Maryland have FCS wins and the FCS team we played is clearly one of the best in the nation.

This is fair, but to be a "solidly bottom-half team" they are ranked 8-9 or lower. So please tell me, who have Maryland, Indiana or Nebraska beaten this year?

Nebraska - South Alabama, Northern Illinois, Illinois and (conference winless) Northwestern
Indiana - Ball State, Eastern Illinois and UConn
Maryland - Howard, Rutgers (maybe worst P5 team) and (badly overrated at the time) Syracuse

So yes, given that most of the above wins (minus Rutgers and Illinois) took place at home and we have beaten Fresno and Purdue on the road already, I would 1000% CLEARLY put us ahead of all 3 of those teams. Not to mention, Indiana and Maryland have FCS wins and the FCS team we played is clearly one of the best in the nation.
I agree with your assessment, and don't think we have any business being ranked lower than #7. You could argue for higher, but that's where it gets a bit dicey given how easy our schedule looks on paper at the moment.

everybody knows my name

Freakishly Hyperintelligent
I agree with your assessment, and don't think we have any business being ranked lower than #7. You could argue for higher, but that's where it gets a bit dicey given how easy our schedule looks on paper at the moment.
I don't see how we could be ranked higher than 7th. Maybe that's consensus!

For the record, I'm not the poster who said we are "solidly" bottom half.

Schnauzer

Pretty Sure You are Wrong
Can the title of this thread be changed to "We're still pretty solidly a bottom half team in the B1G" ?

Latest profile posts