Big Ten owes Gopher players an apology

UST82Gopher

Reaction score
For scheduling a bowl game on a completely unsafe field jeopardizing their health and future careers. You can’t play a game on grass 8 weeks after it has gone dormant. Its not firm enough to have these kinds of athletes play on it.

I don’t blame a single kid for deciding not to play.

Gophers are part of the B1G too ... whose fault is that?

B1G should make some arrangements / set expectations with bowl hosts about fields not being frozen powder.

With all the great southern and western cities to visit in the winter, why in the hell is the BigTen affiliated with New York Shitty?
Because the Yankees are willing to PAY.

Bowl games are weird things and big / stable money makers they are NOT.

IMO though yeah places like San Diego should have like ... 8 bowl games. (apparently they're still playing at petco ... should play at the new football stadium)

Last edited:

For scheduling a bowl game on a completely unsafe field jeopardizing their health and future careers. You can’t play a game on grass 8 weeks after it has gone dormant. Its not firm enough to have these kinds of athletes play on it.

Hey! Who told you that the Gophers played today?

I’ll be interested to see if the players say anything about it or if PJ will have a take.

So no baseball fields in NY and no domes where they decide to let it rain on the field before games. CFB bowl games have a player attendance problem and conditions like these are definitely how to get more players to play in them... <_<

Last edited:

Great post. The Pinstripe Bowl is an absolute shit bowl game.

GopherHoler: "In the past 20 years you have caused myself and the City of Minneapolis a good deal of distress as we have watched you take your beloved bowl game and reduce it to a laughing stock...all for the glorification of your massive ego!"
Big Stein: "Hire that Gopher fan!"

At a minimum, any D1 bowl game venue played in the north outdoors around the New Year holiday should be required to have heated turf. All those venues would likely be football fields, or soccer at a minimum. This frozen ice below a half inch of muddy looking grass crap like we saw in NY today needs to end.

Bad Boys Mowers, a turf equipment company, got some negative publicity today.

At a minimum, any D1 bowl game venue played in the north outdoors around the New Year holiday should be required to have heated turf. All those venues would likely be football fields, or soccer at a minimum. This frozen ice below a half inch of muddy looking grass crap like we saw in NY today needs to end.

Bad Boys Mowers, a turf equipment company, got some negative publicity today.
I think it would be a good rule for B1G to establish and let everyone know "when we renew our bowl deals ... dems the rules..."

Great post. The Pinstripe Bowl is an absolute shit bowl game.
The turf was just as bad or worse last year at the Guaranteed Rate Bowl. The slip 'n slid conditions are really bad for the players and force coaches to throw their game plan out the window. Solution: B1G bowl games played either in southern ares with healthy, live, well anchored turf (not temporary sod laid on plastic, like the Guaranteed Rate Bowl), or played in domed stadiums or fields with good artificial turf. Players would be safer; games would be more wide-open and exciting.

Yes, as someone noted it is very ironic that a giant turf mowing company put its name on a bowl game in which the turf was absolute sh#t. You would think that of all the sponsors, Bad Boy Mowers would be interested in having their bowl game played on decent turf.

Agreed. Now I’m waiting with bated breath to see what Dave H thinks since he is such a veteran of Gopherhole.

I was thinking the new football stadium is where it should be.
It should be, and it may be in the future, but the Holiday bowl has a contract with Petco Park for at least a few more years. Plus, the city and the bowl committee like that it's downtown, instead of out in Mission Valley. (Snapdragon Stadium is built on the site of the old Jack Murphy/Qualcomm stadium.)

Dino Babers in his post-game presser said he didn't think the field was that bad, and "both teams had to play on it." he did acknowledge that it was "a little slippery" in spots.

He added that, from his perspective, the field conditions did not decide the game. the team that made fewer mistakes won the game.

Dino Babers in his post-game presser said he didn't think the field was that bad, and "both teams had to play on it." he did acknowledge that it was "a little slippery" in spots.

He added that, from his perspective, the field conditions did not decide the game. the team that made fewer mistakes won the game.
I think Dino Babers is just a good guy and doesn't want to sound like he's making excuses.

I don't think it had an impact on the outcome but it was ridiculous.

The turf was just as bad or worse last year at the Guaranteed Rate Bowl. The slip 'n slid conditions are really bad for the players and force coaches to throw their game plan out the window. Solution: B1G bowl games played either in southern ares with healthy, live, well anchored turf (not temporary sod laid on plastic, like the Guaranteed Rate Bowl), or played in domed stadiums or fields with good artificial turf. Players would be safer; games would be more wide-open and exciting.

I actually think the coaches game planned for slippery turf. It looked to me like both teams were trying to get the ball out into space on offense to take advantage of the field (before the Gophs went all-out turtle with the lead). The Gophers returned kicks today, a big advantage on slippery fields, where they usually didn't during the year.

Why not have the bowl game at US Bank Stadium?
Someone has to pay to sponsor it. Even though there's a sponsor, the main entity paying for this bowl game is the Yankees. They want a game in their stadium, and they'll pay for it.

Top Bottom