Big Ten Intro to the Air Raid

That's all well and good. The point I was responding to was that Wisconsin somehow needed very good players in order to pull off an air raid type system
I agree
My point I was making was that scoring points at a higher rate doesn’t necessarily make you win more games (than they have been).

I agree with your point.

My big question with an air raid system is if it can truly work in a northern climate. Weather is a much bigger factor in places like Minnesota, Wisconsin, Iowa.....as the season goes on. Power running makes sense because it is less affected by things like wind and cold.

Will be interesting to see how Wisconsin looks, could work could be a complete disaster. Purdue might be new to the air raid specifically but they have been slinging it around for a while so don't see this as a massive change from what they have tried to do in the past with varying levels of success.
Agree. Just looked it up. Purdue passed 583 times last year and 575 the year before. During Brohm's tenure, they threw more than 500 times except for 491 his first season and 261 during the COVID season.

I think the term Air Raid gets tossed around a lot and Leach and Mumme get a lot of buzz for "inventing" it, but it's really not that much different than Joe Tiller's "basketball on grass" or Mouse Davis' "run and shoot." Terms and sets may be different, but it's all about getting match-ups.

Agree. Just looked it up. Purdue passed 583 times last year and 575 the year before. During Brohm's tenure, they threw more than 500 times except for 491 his first season and 261 during the COVID season.

I think the term Air Raid gets tossed around a lot and Leach and Mumme get a lot of buzz for "inventing" it, but it's really not that much different than Joe Tiller's "basketball on grass" or Mouse Davis' "run and shoot." Terms and sets may be different, but it's all about getting match-ups.
It’s not that different run/pass ratio
It is different in terms of what passing concepts are used

And personnel & formations.

More 10 and even 00 pers.

The Gophers are fun to watch these days. I love how they execute their suffocating run blocking offense.

There is a lot to be excited about this season with a wide open passing game to compliment their ground game.

Between WI going air raid, and Nebraska’s new schemes there is a lot to anticipate. The Gophers will have to adapt to the changes.

I’d love to see the Gophers running game tenderized Matt Rhule’s Nebraska Defense.

What was the name of the offense that Mike Leach ran at Washington State in the 2016 Holiday Bowl vs the Gophers? Was it similar to this so-called Air Raid offense we've heard so much about?

Tiller did the BIG conference a great favor in introducing his "Shameless Basketball on Grass". It helped that Purdue also had some great QBs and WRs during that time.
It did expose defenses built around stopping the run.
It will be very interesting to watch the West this year with all the changes taking place in many of the teams contending for the West championship.
Predicting what will happen before a game is played is a fool's errand.

Top Bottom