Big Ten Football: Every team’s most important newcomer in 2021

nitramnaed

Reaction score
Per Saturday Blitz:

Minnesota Golden Gophers, 3-4:

The positive for Minnesota head coach PJ Fleck and the Golden Gophers are they return practically everyone on both sides of the ball. Their only significant loss offensively is wide receiver, Rashod Bateman. That leaves Chris Autman-Bell as the only receiver with at least 15 receptions on their roster.

Defensively, the Gophers’ only significant loss is Benjamin St. Juste. For all practicalities, the Gophers return everyone from last season’s COVID-stricken team. To see the field, you need to be special and earn snaps in spring, summer, and fall. These three players could do just that.

• Deven Eastern, DE: At 6-foot-6 and 290 pounds, Eastern has the size to plug and play this fall. As Minnesota’s highest-rated commit out of high school, Eastern instantly upgrades the defensive line for the Gophers. Eastern can play either end or tackle; at 290 pounds, there is a chance he could also play over the center when Minnesota plays a three-person front. However, Eastern is such a good athlete at his size; there is an outside chance the staff switches him to tackle.
  • Nyles Pinckney (transfer), DT: Pinckney was a four-star coming out of high school and had a solid career at Clemson. Pinckney transferred to Minnesota in hopes of improving his draft stock next season. Pinckney can be a disruptive one-technique interior lineman for the Gophers multiple front defense.
  • Lemeke Brockington, WR: Bateman’s departure to the NFL leaves a hole at receiver. No receiver has more than 15 receptions save Chris Autman-Bell. Brockington has an opportunity to compete for snaps and even to be WR2 next season. A 6-foot Georgia High School standout, Brockington tracks the ball in the air well and has good straight-line speed with the ball in his hands. Brockington can play the slot or out wide to run any route in the Gophers route tree.

Pretty excited about eastern, it’s not often we get a lineman on either side of the ball that could potentially play right away without a year or two in a college strength program.

I don't let myself get too excited about these kind of players until ... I see them.

Sometimes they take longer than expected or not at all .. and sometimes some other guy I never expected shows up.

Never can tell.

Even though it's speculation, it's nice to see two of the three are D linemen.

1. Justin Walley (could start at CB)
2. Pinckney (can't imagine he won't start at DT)
3. Kyle Trickett (kicker from Kent)

Steven Ortiz is a freshman 2021, correct? I don't think I've heard anything about him this spring. Regardless, I'm excited to see what the young man brings to this team.

Top Bottom