Big Ten football coaches who are on the hot seat in the 2024 season (#1. PJ Fleck, Minnesota)

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Per Ericka:

1. P.J. Fleck​

P.J. Fleck might have already peaked in his time at Minnesota. After winning 11 games in 2019, he has back-to-back nine-win seasons in 2021 and 2022, but then fell hard in 2023 with a 6-7 record. As a coach, you typically want to see the number of wins go up not down.

Unfortunately for Fleck, Minnesota also does not look like they are going to be very competitive in 2024 with the level of competition only getting better with the addition of the four Pac-12 teams. Fleck is probably already feeling his seat heating up with the decline of play by the Golden Gophers in the last few years.

If Minnesota is not bowl-eligible in 2024, fleck could be out of a job by the end of the season due to the decline of play.

So don't worry Badger fans, Luke Fickell isn't on this list, but he needs to take a step forward in 2024 to help with job security and to show he can play in the big leagues of power conferences.

Go Gophers!!

100% not clicking that link to see the list because no way I am going to support garbage like that with a click.

But Fleck at #1.....give me a break. If the team really struggles in 2024 then maybe Fleck's seat is warm heading into next year.....but at this point Fleck's seat is not warm, nor should it be.

100% not clicking that link to see the list because no way I am going to support garbage like that with a click.

But Fleck at #1.....give me a break. If the team really struggles in 2024 then maybe Fleck's seat is warm heading into next year.....but at this point Fleck's seat is not warm, nor should it be.
I can tell you as a Buckeye fan who has lived in that state in the past and it's where my daughter is right now, Ryan Day has the hottest seat and I don't think it's particularly close.

I can tell you as a Buckeye fan who has lived in that state in the past and it's where my daughter is right now, Ryan Day has the hottest seat and I don't think it's particularly close.

That was my thought as well. He definitely needs to beat Michigan without Harbaugh and some big player losses.

1000%....another loss to the "the School up North" and it probably won't matter what Day does in all the other games. My father-in-law has been ready to fire Day for a while now.

That was my thought as well. He definitely needs to beat Michigan without Harbaugh and some big player losses.
You are correct. He needs a championship also. I'm telling you everyone there, from the little kid to the 80 year old grandma will settle for nothing less. Every home has a Buckeye room, people are nuts about it. I didn't grasp it fully until I lived there.

1000%....another loss to the "the School up North" and it probably won't matter what Day does in all the other games. My father-in-law has been ready to fire Day for a while now.
Save this post, he loses The Game this year, he is gone. I promise.

Journalism sports or otherwise is an embarrassment as the comments are the truth of the article.

Not true. A bad QB last season cost the team. Fleck is a good coach. He is not in trouble.

On the other hand, the menacing new Big Ten will be tough. The next THREE seasons are important.

I think some key transfer portal losses on defense were just as much to blame on the losses. The defense was horrendous, especially later in conference play.

I think some key transfer portal losses on defense were just as much to blame on the losses. The defense was horrendous, especially later in conference play.
Transfers plus injuries on D put us in a tough spot and definitely were a huge factor in the problems we had on that side of the ball last year.

Per Ericka:

1. P.J. Fleck​

P.J. Fleck might have already peaked in his time at Minnesota. After winning 11 games in 2019, he has back-to-back nine-win seasons in 2021 and 2022, but then fell hard in 2023 with a 6-7 record. As a coach, you typically want to see the number of wins go up not down.

Unfortunately for Fleck, Minnesota also does not look like they are going to be very competitive in 2024 with the level of competition only getting better with the addition of the four Pac-12 teams. Fleck is probably already feeling his seat heating up with the decline of play by the Golden Gophers in the last few years.

If Minnesota is not bowl-eligible in 2024, fleck could be out of a job by the end of the season due to the decline of play.

So don't worry Badger fans, Luke Fickell isn't on this list, but he needs to take a step forward in 2024 to help with job security and to show he can play in the big leagues of power conferences.

Go Gophers!!
It must be really hard to be a football coach. As much as some of them say "I don't pay attention to the media" this kind of BS has to get old. Some 8th grader in Madison, WI who was likely cut from the junior high soccer team can take out their frustrations by publishing garbage like this, and people actually read it.

According to the Pair and a Spare podcast PJ has been crushing it this offseason with respect to the portal and is very much recruiting NIL donors. I imagine most coaches don't want to solicit for donations like a politician. PJ's energy and RTB mentality could be a major difference maker in this modern football landscape.

If Fickell has a bad year he will be on a much hotter seat than PJ.

Badger fans are convinced Minnesota can't compete in the new B1G but they can (I saw on Twitter a couple of them think we can't do better than the Pinstripe Bowl moving forward). Absolutely zero reason why this is true. We're doing fine in NIL and the portal, and I can't think of many long-term advantages they have over us. This season is crucial for Fleck to show he can still move the boat forward, however.

Top Bottom