Big Ten expert picks 2022: Most overrated and underrated teams, projected order of finish, bold predictions (Most underrated: Minnesota)

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per CBS:

Underrated (listed among a few others):

Minnesota: Understandably, the teams in the Big Ten West -- other than Wisconsin and Iowa -- tend to fly under the radar. However, P.J. Fleck has turned Minnesota into a division contender as well. The Golden Gophers tied for the division title in 2019 but lost out on a tiebreaker with the Badgers. They finished second in the division last season and figure to contend again this time around. Fleck's teams are known for their physicality and effort and that is a big reason why they always seem to be in the mix. One of these seasons, Minnesota will break through. Maybe even this season. -- Palm

Go Gophers!!

per CBS:

Underrated (listed among a few others):

Minnesota: Understandably, the teams in the Big Ten West -- other than Wisconsin and Iowa -- tend to fly under the radar. However, P.J. Fleck has turned Minnesota into a division contender as well. The Golden Gophers tied for the division title in 2019 but lost out on a tiebreaker with the Badgers. They finished second in the division last season and figure to contend again this time around. Fleck's teams are known for their physicality and effort and that is a big reason why they always seem to be in the mix. One of these seasons, Minnesota will break through. Maybe even this season. -- Palm

Go Gophers!!
Uh oh this will upset some people.

This wouldn't surprise me at all.
That would surprise me considering there hasn’t been a division winner with more than two losses in the history of the Big ten title game even during legends and leaders EXCEPT due to 3rd place wisconsin going over sanctioned OSU and PSU

3 losses overall wouldn’t be surprising and has happened a few times.
Someone in the west is going 7-2 or better.

I predict multiple teams 7-2 or better

If every publication lists the Gophers as underrated can they really be underrated?
I always think it’s ridiculous when major media labels a team as underrated. YOU are literally the people that rate teams and drive their perception. If they think Team X is underrated, they should tell Team X will make a big leap and win their division or conference. Calling a team underrated or overrated is just a way to throw shit against the wall without putting any credibility on the line.

I always think it’s ridiculous when major media labels a team as underrated. YOU are literally the people that rate teams and drive their perception. If they think Team X is underrated, they should tell Team X will make a big leap and win their division or conference. Calling a team underrated or overrated is just a way to throw shit against the wall without putting any credibility on the line.

Well, I guess "underrated" must be defined for the meaning to be clear but it rarely is defined. Are they underrated because the author expects them to do better than the "7.5" wins predicted by a number of publications or are they underrated because almost no one is predicting them to win the West? I don't think it's the latter. Wisconsin seems to be the West favorite every year because they have won the West half of the time and picking Minnesota as the West champ would be going out on a limb. But, the 7.5 wins prediction does seem a bit low so I'd say that is the being used as indicator of being underrated.

I don't know why we can't consider this team underrated when the highest discussion is a Big Ten West with records like 9-3 being tossed around.

What's to say this isn't a contender for the Big Ten. (<--period).
This team was 17-20 points away from being "11-1 last year with their only loss to OSU who they led at half time".

Why if Nebraska can turn their 6 losses into wins with a different QB, different coordinator and losses on defense, to go from 3-9 to 9-3, why can't we win half as many more close games and go 11-1, go to the BTT, and beat OSU?

I don't know why we can't consider this team underrated when the highest discussion is a Big Ten West with records like 9-3 being tossed around.

What's to say this isn't a contender for the Big Ten. (<--period).
This team was 17-20 points away from being "11-1 last year with their only loss to OSU who they led at half time".

Why if Nebraska can turn their 6 losses into wins with a different QB, different coordinator and losses on defense, to go from 3-9 to 9-3, why can't we win half as many more close games and go 11-1, go to the BTT, and beat OSU?
We can do most of what you suggest because we have equal or superior talent and coaching to everyone on the regular schedule. With a little luck of the bounce we could emerge unscathed.

As far as Indy goes, we would be playing a team with superior talent but not insurmountable with some breaks.

The West schedule favors MN.
IA and WI could easily have three BIG losses by the last scheduled games.
If MN could manage to have only two or three BIG losses by then, the MN/WI may again be for the West championship.

The West schedule favors MN.
IA and WI could easily have three BIG losses by the last scheduled games.
If MN could manage to have only two or three BIG losses by then, the MN/WI may again be for the West championship.

S-C-R-E-W THAT.

I want this thing clinched before we play Iowa, or at worse clinch the title when we secure Floyd at home.

If the Gophers beat Michigan State they run the table.
I like your thinking, but I think the game itself is too early in the season. As us Gopher fans know too well, much can happen in a BigTen season.

Top Bottom