Big Ten COVID rule. If team can’t play due to COVID, it’s a forfeit. L.

I find the current advice offered on cable, the networks, the newspapers and even the CDC confusing.
If you have an intact immune system and are fully vaccinated the chance of being infected with the Covid 19 virus is less than 1%.
If the above is true if you get infected you are not going to become ill, you will get rid of the virus in a few days and you can infect unvaccinated or immune deficient people who may become quite ill.
It is essential, and should be mandatory that every player and coach is fully vaccinated for the good of the team.
Routine testing for the virus would meaningless if everyone is fully vaccinated.
Let me give you some real life experience. I am fully vaccinated and have just recovered from Covid-19 this morning (negative test result). It was 10 days of a bad head cold with fever, aches, runny nose and headaches. I got it from my wife (vaccinated) who got it from our grandkid (not vaccinated) who got it from a small, outside in-laws family gathering (we did not attend). So far about a dozen vaccinated people have gotten it from this one gathering (all vaccines included).

My conclusions are that the vaccines kept it to a head cold, but the new Delta variation will get you if you have prolonged contact with an infected person (grandkid had slept over at out house). The Delta variant is as contagious as chickenpox. Vaccinated people are getting the Delta variant, but most are staying out of the hospital. Everyone that I know that was vaccinated had it for about 10 days with the same head cold symptoms.

The BinaxNow 15 minute test is very good for home use. Please be careful and mask up when indoors for the next few weeks, even if you are vaccinated.

Let me give you some real life experience. I am fully vaccinated and have just recovered from Covid-19 this morning (negative test result). It was 10 days of a bad head cold with fever, aches, runny nose and headaches. I got it from my wife (vaccinated) who got it from our grandkid (not vaccinated) who got it from a small, outside in-laws family gathering (we did not attend). So far about a dozen vaccinated people have gotten it from this one gathering (all vaccines included).

My conclusions are that the vaccines kept it to a head cold, but the new Delta variation will get you if you have prolonged contact with an infected person (grandkid had slept over at out house). The Delta variant is as contagious as chickenpox. Vaccinated people are getting the Delta variant, but most are staying out of the hospital. Everyone that I know that was vaccinated had it for about 10 days with the same head cold symptoms.

The BinaxNow 15 minute test is very good for home use. Please be careful and mask up when indoors for the next few weeks, even if you are vaccinated.
Your experience is a good example that the vaccine works as promised.
I should have written severely ill rather than just "ill".
You recovered at home seemingly without residual problems.
You were not in the hospital, you are alive and many other vaccinated people are positive and have no symptoms.
Wearing a mask indoors if you are around unvaccinated or people with immune deficits is a very good idea.

It was implemented because the big ten was caught flat footed and came up with the policy too fast and didn’t think through all the permutations of what could happen.
It was repealed because it was short sighted.

all they would’ve needed to do to fix the rule would’ve been to add the following to it:
If a team is ineligible because of not enough games played, they can become eligible by crediting them enough losses until they regain eligibility. If they still lead the division they can go.

Do you actually believe that referees call penalties on some teams and not others intentionally?
Do you believe Lee Harvey Oswald was the lone shooter?

This is a long-winded way of saying it wasn’t well thought through, potentially like the statement in the OP. That’s really all that needs to be said, yet you’re still doing contortions trying to defend the rule. Consider me puzzled.

The rest of your post is absurd. Of course humans have bias and prejudice. Of course conferences will occasionally bend rules or change rules if it suits their business. This is clear. Do you watch sports? IIRC you’ve been in here numerous times insinuating you’re a coach.

OK, had a moment to look further into this and versus last year the mandatory testing, quarantine, and contact tracing rules will only apply to unvaccinated players.

Illinois, Indiana, Maryland, Michigan, Michigan State, Minnesota, Northwestern, Rutgers are the universities in the conference that require a full vaccine to attend classes. Ohio State, Penn State, Purdue, Iowa, and Wisconsin are among the universities with no vaccine mandate.

I‘d guess the latter schools will have 75-80+% players vaccinated. Barring major breakthrough infection outbreaks the forfeiture rule probably won’t come into play…until it does. I’m sure that won’t happen. /s

OK, had a moment to look further into this and versus last year the mandatory testing, quarantine, and contact tracing rules will only apply to unvaccinated players.

Illinois, Indiana, Maryland, Michigan, Michigan State, Minnesota, Northwestern, Rutgers are the universities in the conference that require a full vaccine to attend classes. Ohio State, Penn State, Purdue, Iowa, and Wisconsin are among the universities with no vaccine mandate.

I‘d guess the latter schools will have 75-80+% players vaccinated. Barring major breakthrough infection outbreaks the forfeiture rule probably won’t come into play…until it does. I’m sure that won’t happen. /s
Ohio State just announced a mandate.

Ohio State just announced a mandate.
LSU announced today that you need proof of vax or negative test to go to Tiger Stadium -- will be interesting to see what sort of timeframes schools use when instituting these changes

LSU announced today that you need proof of vax or negative test to go to Tiger Stadium -- will be interesting to see what sort of timeframes schools use when instituting these changes
I suspect it will be fans handing out papers:

And on the rental security side:

At some point at scale if you're going to have a bazillion fans ... what even happens?

NC State is not letting athletes without a vaccination (or approved non-vax status) to travel for games for all for sports:

Interesting approach, apparently their athletic department made that call.

Top Bottom