Big Ten COVID rule. If team can’t play due to COVID, it’s a forfeit. L.

Are the Gophers team and entire staff fully vaccinated? More importantly, are everyone in the Athletic Village fully vaccinated? It takes only one person infected with the Delta Variant to affect everyone.

Are the Gophers team and entire staff fully vaccinated? More importantly, are everyone in the Athletic Village fully vaccinated? It takes only one person infected with the Delta Variant to affect everyone.
I wonder what the contact rules are now?

If you're vaccinated but have contact with someone who isn't... are you out for X time?

I wonder what the contact rules are now?

If you're vaccinated but have contact with someone who isn't... are you out for X time?
I think its far different if you're vaccinated but really I don't know shit. I'm just going off of every other sports league that has announced this.

The skeptic in me says that the CFP committee would ignore a forfeit L if it would otherwise keep one of the big name teams out of the playoff.

We’re gonna see an equipment manager at starting safety for someone. Like when the NHL puts in an emergency goalie.
Or at least maybe a WR playing DB.

The skeptic in me says that the CFP committee would ignore a forfeit L if it would otherwise keep one of the big name teams out of the playoff.
If the COVID situation went super wonky and we had a year like 2020 where there was a big mess of who knows what ... yeah I could see it.

But in that case in 2020 the B1G resolved the issue and gave Ohio St. the B1G championship game.

The CFP committee disregarding a conference W-L record ... risky.

If the COVID situation went super wonky and we had a year like 2020 where there was a big mess of who knows what ... yeah I could see it.

But in that case in 2020 the B1G resolved the issue and gave Ohio St. the B1G championship game.

This.

If Ohio St goes 10-2 with their only losses to the Gophers by 45 and a forfeit, they may belong in the CFP.

The situation I envision is a 2 loss SEC champ with a COVID forfeit loss. I am afraid the Committee would perform the mental gymnastics needed to get that team in rather than shut the SEC out.

The situation I envision is a 2 loss SEC champ with a COVID forfeit loss. I am afraid the Committee would perform the mental gymnastics needed to get that team in rather than shut the SEC out.
. . . which they should. If the goal is to find the best team in college football, an SEC champ that was only beaten in one game should make the playoff

It seems unlikely that a team would be completely unable to play. We might see a few games with a ton of backups playing or guys playing out of position but with how big the rosters are most teams have enough people even if half of the team is sick or force to quarantine.

The wording specifically calls out "in the conference standings" so I guess a team could argue that it counts as a loss for the conference standings but doesn't count towards the overall record. I'd have to think that if it was Ohio State they'd treat it as if it never happened and put them in. Anyone else in the conference probably not.

. . . which they should. If the goal is to find the best team in college football, an SEC champ that was only beaten in one game should make the playoff
But what's the point of a forfeit if it doesn't count as a real loss?

I find the current advice offered on cable, the networks, the newspapers and even the CDC confusing.
If you have an intact immune system and are fully vaccinated the chance of being infected with the Covid 19 virus is less than 1%.
If the above is true if you get infected you are not going to become ill, you will get rid of the virus in a few days and you can infect unvaccinated or immune deficient people who may become quite ill.
It is essential, and should be mandatory that every player and coach is fully vaccinated for the good of the team.
Routine testing for the virus would meaningless if everyone is fully vaccinated.

But what's the point of a forfeit if it doesn't count as a real loss?
I don't support the notion that forfeits should be losses. If conferences want to impose those rules on themselves I don't see why the committee needs to accept their rationale.

The CFP committee's charge is to determine whom it thinks the top 25 teams in the country are, each week. Full stop

W-L might be one factor, but are just a factor.

Problem is lots of vaccinated people are getting infected. So if they get an outbreak it may not matter since the unvaxxed will probably get hit hard as well (although I think majority of squad is vaxxed PJ said?). Booster might be key or enough previously infected to have natural immunity. This could be a touchy deal if team is vaxxed and still get an outbreak.

If the goal is to find the best team in college football they should never take a team that has already proven it isn’t the best in their own conference by not winning their own conference.

Problem is lots of vaccinated people are getting infected.
Still at least 40% effective. If they stay on top of it and quarantine an infected player, it should still be significantly fewer players that then test positive compared to last year.

Problem is lots of vaccinated people are getting infected. So if they get an outbreak it may not matter since the unvaxxed will probably get hit hard as well (although I think majority of squad is vaxxed PJ said?). Booster might be key or enough previously infected to have natural immunity. This could be a touchy deal if team is vaxxed and still get an outbreak.
So far 6000 “breakthrough” cases are confirmed which boils down to one in 25,000 vaccinated patients. Obviously the rate is higher than that due to people with no or mild symptoms not getting tested- but still the risk is low and more importantly the risk of severe disease is extremely low. Would hope the whole team would be like Bama with only one player without vaccination.

*lazy question*

Is the conference enforcing a minimum number of tests for all players, per week?

I mean ... if you choose not to test a player unless they show symptoms. It's a higher risk/reward, potentially. You could avoid having to rule a player out who is "infected" but never ends up having any symptoms. But if there is a player that does show symptoms, by that time you quarantine it might've spread significantly.

If the goal is to find the best team in college football they should never take a team that has already proven it isn’t the best in their own conference by not winning their own conference.
Bleedsmaroons scenario that I responded to was about a team that won the SEC with 2 losses, one coming via forfeit. Secondarily I disagree with you that a team that didn't win it's conference isn't worthy of consideration. Alabama won the national title in this scenario a few years ago.

Yep. The Big Ten folded on their minimum 6 game rule for championship eligibility as soon as it became apparent that would impede Ohio State’s chances of getting to the CFP.

With the U requirement for students now ..
hopefully this isn't an issue for us.

If mandatory testing remains after vaccination there will probably be a lot of minor or asymptomatic infections picked up. Depending on contact tracing rules could be very messy.

I can see them modifying rules on the fly…

Yep. The Big Ten folded on their minimum 6 game rule for championship eligibility as soon as it became apparent that would impede Ohio State’s chances of getting to the CFP.
As a sports fan, I found that to be an incredible offensive decision. It was a stupid rule in the first place. I thought it should be a total wins threshold instead of a total games played threshold. Why set up a scheme where a team could be one loss short of qualifying for the championship? But, it was the rule that the season was played under. Changing the rules for qualifying for a championship after one team has already qualified because you wish it were a different team is asinine.

As you said, it was a poorly thought out rule.

They simply cancelled it. I saw no harm and the outcome of it was correct. Zero way to argue that Indiana deserved to go to the championship game over Ohio State. Zero

Top Bottom