Big Ten Basketball Program Faces Serious NIL Tampering Allegation

the NCAA has basically given up. they're getting their assess handed to them in court so they've just said "bleep it" and have stopped trying to enforce anything.

and now, I'm going to put on my tinfoil hat - I wonder if the NCAA has made a deliberate decision to stop trying, and let everything go to hades, as a ploy? let things get so bad that people will be willing to talk about some new type of structure or governing system.

the NCAA has basically given up. they're getting their assess handed to them in court so they've just said "bleep it" and have stopped trying to enforce anything.

and now, I'm going to put on my tinfoil hat - I wonder if the NCAA has made a deliberate decision to stop trying, and let everything go to hades, as a ploy? let things get so bad that people will be willing to talk about some new type of structure or governing system.
I don't feel it is outside the realm of possibilities at all. Let it descend into madness so that they can reclaim territory by offering "law and order". Problem is, they also run the real risk of being supplanted by a new collegiate athletics governing body. But, as long as we are doing a little conspiracy, maybe they want to be out of the collegiate athletics governing altogether. Maybe they want a different organization to rise up and take its place, one that is better equipped to handle this new landhellscape. :unsure:

Yeah, I don't know that this "serious tampering allegation" is so serious given that nothing is likely to happen and Storr didn't end up at Illinois anyway.

But, as long as we are doing a little conspiracy, maybe they want to be out of the collegiate athletics governing altogether. Maybe they want a different organization to rise up and take its place, one that is better equipped to handle this new landhellscape. :unsure:

Let's say a new regulatory institution did arise from this mess. Would you vote to restore the current leadership to head that organization?

Let's say a new regulatory institution did arise from this mess. Would you vote to restore the current leadership to head that organization?
100% absolutely not. That would be one of the stipulations. Anyone involved in the leadership of the NCAA in the last 10 plus (or whatever that number would be) years would not be retained or considered for future roles in the new organization. Their lack of vision, foresight and action contributed greatly to this mess, as confirmed by the repeated shellackings they are taking in court.

I don't feel it is outside the realm of possibilities at all. Let it descend into madness so that they can reclaim territory by offering "law and order". Problem is, they also run the real risk of being supplanted by a new collegiate athletics governing body. But, as long as we are doing a little conspiracy, maybe they want to be out of the collegiate athletics governing altogether. Maybe they want a different organization to rise up and take its place, one that is better equipped to handle this new landhellscape. :unsure:
Time a modern version of Kennesaw Mountain Landis!

It's politics. Everything is politics these days.

This all started from lawsuits in California. They'd love to destroy FB and men's basketball. Anything to hurt it. And anything that's wrong...they're in favor of.

100% absolutely not. That would be one of the stipulations. Anyone involved in the leadership of the NCAA in the last 10 plus (or whatever that number would be) years would not be retained or considered for future roles in the new organization. Their lack of vision, foresight and action contributed greatly to this mess, as confirmed by the repeated shellackings they are taking in court.
The NCAA is the governing body setup by the schools, under the control of the schools. It is like a band of criminals setting up their own police and then everyone blames the police instead of the criminals. And by reading the internet and this board, it has worked, as people think the NCAA is the reason all this has happened.

The NCAA is the governing body setup by the schools, under the control of the schools. It is like a band of criminals setting up their own police and then everyone blames the police instead of the criminals. And by reading the internet and this board, it has worked, as people think the NCAA is the reason all this has happened.

I don't think people think that. I think people feel that the NCAA is ineffectual and not worth keeping in place. The NCAA is partially responsible for making itself look foolish, though, by making rules that they either can't or won't enforce.

I don't think people think that. I think people feel that the NCAA is ineffectual and not worth keeping in place. The NCAA is partially responsible for making itself look foolish, though, by making rules that they either can't or won't enforce.
I think a majority of people believe that the NCAA is an entity unto itself. Thus the bureaucracy is blamed for the mess because it’s easier to grasp if all the blame is in one place. The greater problem is no leadership among the member institutions to bring some semblance of education back into the system.

As the grandfather of one of my former students who was an outstanding athlete told him, “I played football so I could get an education. I didn’t get an education to play football.” We’re close to the logical conclusion of where we’ve been headed since the late 80’s. All business and No education.

This all started from lawsuits in California. They'd love to destroy FB and men's basketball. Anything to hurt it. And anything that's wrong...they're in favor of.
It’s not about destroying college football and basketball. It’s about getting a piece of the massive financial pie for the players. Still an unregulated NIL will destroy any semblance of competitive balance. The blue bloods will get richer, just like in our economic system. The rest get to eat cake!

It’s not about destroying college football and basketball. It’s about getting a piece of the massive financial pie for the players. Still an unregulated NIL will destroy any semblance of competitive balance. The blue bloods will get richer, just like in our economic system. The rest get to eat cake!
Yes, everyone has always wanted money. But now, everything is politics as well. Even sports.

And a big part of politics is trying to ruin everything. Doing whatever is wrong. Politicians & courts will try to ruin college FB & BB.

Minimum rookie contract in the NFL is higher than WNBA maximum rookie contract.

For at least 5 years though I would roll the dice on Clarks overall income more than anyone taken in the NFL Draft last night.

Yes, everyone has always wanted money. But now, everything is politics as well. Even sports.

And a big part of politics is trying to ruin everything. Doing whatever is wrong. Politicians & courts will try to ruin college FB & BB.
While there are certainly people who hate college sports in academia, I don't think anyone is institutionally trying to "ruin" them because of dislike. That's conspiracy nonsense.

What is happening, is people are trying (and succeeding to some extent) to right the wrongs of athletes not benefiting from the massive wealth they help create, as well as their ability to be treated like any other individual without unfair restraint on their earning ability. And IMO, the courts are absolutely correct on the restraint of trade issue.

Now, if those fighting for this are willing to burn down the entire system, that's fine with them. And that may well be cutting off ones nose to spite their face, but the intent of this is not to kill college sports because they're a bunch of sportsball-hater types.

For at least 5 years though I would roll the dice on Clarks overall income more than anyone taken in the NFL Draft last night.
She just signed an 8 year $28 million endorsement deal with Nike. And honestly, they may be getting a bargain. I don't like Dave Portnoy of Barstool, but he thinks she should have been worth closer to 10 million a year, and I think I agree.

She just signed an 8 year $28 million endorsement deal with Nike. And honestly, they may be getting a bargain. I don't like Dave Portnoy of Barstool, but he thinks she should have been worth closer to 10 million a year, and I think I agree.
Hopefully Clark and her advisors watched Air Time and insisted on getting a little taste for each sale as Mrs Jordan did.

I actually think their hands are pretty tied when it comes to NIL, courts are not the venue to solve, so legislation may be the only solution.

Last edited:

No, it's not. Pretty sure Ed O'Bannon wasn't motivated by politics.

Endorsement income is a fickle thing, but you might be onto something.

Lets be fair - the NCAA legal team is pretty busy right now responding to the women athletes' lawsuit where the girl athletes are requesting bodily privacy in the locker room and female only competition on the field - to mess around with the stupid NIL issue.

Top Bottom