Big Ten Bar and Restaurant to close after 60 years

Taji34

Reaction score
per their facebook page:
We have been stuffing jocks and athletic supporters for over 60 years at the University of MN. And, it is with incredible sadness that we share with you today that the campus Big 10 will be shutting its doors over Labor Day weekend (details to follow).

To our customers: You have all been a big deal to us. We can't thank you enough for your support and friendship. Please join us over the next few weeks to say goodbye to this long-time campus institution. Share your Big 10 stories with our staff, tell us about your first visit or come celebrate for one last pre-game as our beloved Gophers start their season on Thursday, Sept 1st. We thank you for all the memories and support.

They, and others on this block, are the casualty of the plans to build a 29 story apartment complex aimed toward "Young Professionals" (?!?!?!) on that location. Last call will be on Labor Day. They also have decided not to return, as they could never replicate the charm of the original location.

per their facebook page:

They, and others on this block, are the casualty of the plans to build a 29 story apartment complex aimed toward "Young Professionals" (?!?!?!) on that location. Last call will be on Labor Day. They also have decided not to return, as they could never replicate the charm of the original location.

pretty disgusting how campus has changed the last five years. None of the charms are there anymore. And the streetscape is just atrocious.

Yeah, we should always keep low profit businesses going for tradition's sake. It's always disgusting to those with no stake.

If hundreds of new residents move in, it will be a huge boon to the local economy.

If you don't like it, buy the site and develop it yourself. Life goes on.

pretty disgusting how campus has changed the last five years. None of the charms are there anymore. And the streetscape is just atrocious.

Have to disagree. I think the student housing they have built on campus actually helps turn it into a "campus" and not just a school dropped into the middle of a city.

On a personal note I am bummed. I ate lunch at Big Ten 5-days a week for years and go back there with my kids almost anytime we are on or near campus.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's too bad they couldn't re-open in the new building. Their subs are fantastic and it's just nice having as many pre-game options as possible.

Are you kidding? Washington Ave was a disgusting place before the light rail and very non-pedestrian friendly of which there are thousands at the U. Big improvement for the area, sorry they hurt your nostalgia.

No surprise. I'm guessing rent was too high in New place

Stubs is my preferred pre game but b10 was in rotation

At least I get still get my Big Ten fix at the Hopkins location.

Are you kidding? Washington Ave was a disgusting place before the light rail and very non-pedestrian friendly of which there are thousands at the U. Big improvement for the area, sorry they hurt your nostalgia.

Agreed 100%. We actually now finally have a campus where students can live close to class, instead of a mile away in Como in slummy houses. And this project is aimed more at grad students and young professionals. If you are in med school, this would be the 100% best place to live. Close to class, and likely not next door to undergrads throwing parties.

All these places could easily come back in the new project if they would have negotiated for it. Not to mention, a much higher non gameday base to draw from.

Once saw Dave Winfield and Reggie Jackson there. Love the subs.
Have to agree that if you built it new, it would not be the same. The filth made it kind of edgy.
One of the few places I go back to.
Free popcorn.

Bummer, not sure I want to eat at another noodles and company.

Yeah, we should always keep low profit businesses going for tradition's sake. It's always disgusting to those with no stake.

If hundreds of new residents move in, it will be a huge boon to the local economy.

If you don't like it, buy the site and develop it yourself. Life goes on.

If this is how you truly feel I feel bad for you. Businesses such as The Big Ten and Village Wok are institutions that have culturally meant a lot to generations of Gophers. I hope you enjoy the brand spankin' new Noodles and Co. or whatever will go in on the first floor there.

Guaranteed that so many of these successful restaurants are leaving because the "builders" want a super inflated amount of rent.

The "builder" mentality has always been infuriating to me because it rarely represents the desires of the majority, it most often represents what is profitable to a very small percentage of controlling stakeholders- often at direct odds with the will of the community.

On a side note, whoever had the idea that a 20-some story apartment tower catering to "young professionals" DIRECTLY ACROSS THE STREET FROM THE SUPERBLOCK DORMS would be appealing, needs to be run out of town.

Helps make the transfers from Normandale and Century feel at home.

Agreed 100%. We actually now finally have a campus where students can live close to class, instead of a mile away in Como in slummy houses. And this project is aimed more at grad students and young professionals. If you are in med school, this would be the 100% best place to live. Close to class, and likely not next door to undergrads throwing parties.

All these places could easily come back in the new project if they would have negotiated for it. Not to mention, a much higher non gameday base to draw from.
Not very true still, sadly, while yes there is more housing a lot of it is "Luxury" apartments with ridiculous rent prices that many can barely afford. Even with all of the buildings going up, lots of students still live off campus so that they can actually afford rent.

Eventually they'll run out of upper class and international students with big money to spend on housing. This developer is banking it won't be too soon. Of course, they're also banking on people out of college wanting to live in the area ... I can't see that being all that popular for anyone more than 1-2 years out of undergrad, but they may know better than me.

If this is how you truly feel I feel bad for you. Businesses such as The Big Ten and Village Wok are institutions that have culturally meant a lot to generations of Gophers. I hope you enjoy the brand spankin' new Noodles and Co. or whatever will go in on the first floor there.

Guaranteed that so many of these successful restaurants are leaving because the "builders" want a super inflated amount of rent.

The "builder" mentality has always been infuriating to me because it rarely represents the desires of the majority, it most often represents what is profitable to a very small percentage of controlling stakeholders- often at direct odds with the will of the community.

On a side note, whoever had the idea that a 20-some story apartment tower catering to "young professionals" DIRECTLY ACROSS THE STREET FROM THE SUPERBLOCK DORMS would be appealing, needs to be run out of town.

I agree about the institutions part...made that area fun. Love Big Ten...or the Brickhouse as t was known back in the day. Tons of memories. Hope Sturb's stays put.

Actually disagree and think there will be a lot of interest in that location for urban housing not geared towards students. Plenty of young professionals working at the U and DT Mpls who would love living there. Tons to do there and close to DT without living in DT.

Eventually they'll run out of upper class and international students with big money to spend on housing. This developer is banking it won't be too soon. Of course, they're also banking on people out of college wanting to live in the area ... I can't see that being all that popular for anyone more than 1-2 years out of undergrad, but they may know better than me.

Ummm, 5 minute train ride from DT Mpls. Don't think there will be any problem finding young professionals.

One in Shoreview too. Although, I've never eaten at that one...

I am pretty certain the big ten in Arden Hills is not affiliated with the other two.

I am pretty certain the big ten in Arden Hills is not affiliated with the other two.

This is true - I think. I used to work in an industry that had me selling to restaurants/bars...when I struck up a relationship to the one in Arden Hills, I'm pretty sure they told me that they had no affiliation to the campus/Hopkins location (which are affiliated with one-another). As a UofM student, I was never much of a Big Ten guy, but it's still sad to see it go.

This is true - I think. I used to work in an industry that had me selling to restaurants/bars...when I struck up a relationship to the one in Arden Hills, I'm pretty sure they told me that they had no affiliation to the campus/Hopkins location (which are affiliated with one-another). As a UofM student, I was never much of a Big Ten guy, but it's still sad to see it go.

There's no restaurant on campus that means more to me than Big Ten - this is a tough day. Yes, I can still go out to Hopkins, but I'll greatly miss Big Ten on game day.

There's no restaurant on campus that means more to me than Big Ten - this is a tough day. Yes, I can still go out to Hopkins, but I'll greatly miss Big Ten on game day.

You and me both. Only started going frequently last fall because a group of friends wanted to do trivia on Thursdays, it quickly became our staple of the week. People even kept going over the summer (those still nearby that is). Even though it was a relatively short time in the grand scheme of things, some of my fondest memories have already come out of it.

*sigh* At least Annie's Parlor is still in Dinkytown.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Ummm, 5 minute train ride from DT Mpls. Don't think there will be any problem finding young professionals.

I guess I'd be curious to know what percent of people that live in that area aren't affiliated with the university. I know, personally, I wanted to get away from the undergrad scene once I hit 22, and that's really all that's over there right now. Northeast, Uptown, North Loop offer a more cosmopolitan experience and mix of young professionals just out of college and early-30s couples just settling down, for a similar price range as these luxury apartments are offering.

Of course, that's just my perspective. There may be more than enough folks that look to relive the college life for several years after graduation.

Top Bottom