Big Ten announces 9 game schedule starting in 2017

While that would be fun and all.. I believe that game is reserved for the top WAC team vs. the top MAC team.

Fine. Then I demand that the Insight Bowl change its name to something equally as good.

No chance we schedule two I-AA games every year. You can only count one I-AA win toward bowl eligibility each season.

More likely, you will see B1G team schedule 3 home and no road non-conference games the year they have 4 home conference games.

They will only play road non-conference games when there are 5 home conference games.

Look forward to a round robin schedule of ND, NDSU, SD, SDSU, playing two of four every year? Maybe we'll need to create some trophies...

Nice going. You just made LakesBison's day.

dpodoll68 said:
No chance we schedule two I-AA games every year. You can only count one I-AA win toward bowl eligibility each season.

Good point I forgot about that. How does the Hawaii thing work? I assume it doesn't help as you only get the extra game in the year you travel to Hawaii. Is that right?

More likely, you will see B1G team schedule 3 home and no road non-conference games the year they have 4 home conference games.

They will only play road non-conference games when there are 5 home conference games.

That was my thought. Could still schedule one nc bcs team every year but not sure if they will.

We very well may not be able to count on getting 7 home games each season like we've been used to. If you play a BCS team on a 1-1 basis, a non-BCS team on a 1-1 basis and an FCS team at home, you can have six home games in seasons where you have 4 home conference games, and 7 home games in seasons where you have 5 home conference games.

You could get more seasons with seven games at home with 2-1 deals with the non-BCS opponent, but it's getting harder to get 2-1 deals, the non-BCS teams have gained leverage. But still, this wouldn't keep you playing 7 home games each season, that away game has to come sometime.

I suppose there may be creative ways to arrange games to get 7 home games each season, but I'm having trouble figuring it out.

RodentRampage said:
We very well may not be able to count on getting 7 home games each season like we've been used to. If you play a BCS team on a 1-1 basis, a non-BCS team on a 1-1 basis and an FCS team at home, you can have six home games in seasons where you have 4 home conference games, and 7 home games in seasons where you have 5 home conference games.

You could get more seasons with seven games at home with 2-1 deals with the non-BCS opponent, but it's getting harder to get 2-1 deals, the non-BCS teams have gained leverage. But still, this wouldn't keep you playing 7 home games each season, that away game has to come sometime.

I suppose there may be creative ways to arrange games to get 7 home games each season, but I'm having trouble figuring it out.

I worry that this will give a further advantage to MI, OSU, and PSU. if the only way to get seven home games every year is to find a crappy FBS team and pay them off for a one and done, then they will be in really high demand and their price will be too high for everyone but those three.

I worry that this will give a further advantage to MI, OSU, and PSU. if the only way to get seven home games every year is to find a crappy FBS team and pay them off for a one and done, then they will be in really high demand and their price will be too high for everyone but those three.

They could get more seasons with seven games by brining in a team on a guarantee, but the only way they could get seven games every year would be to have a guarantee game every year (not counting the FCS game which would always be a guarantee). There just wouldn't be any room for a road game, since the BCS game would already take up the road game.

Remember the days when getting in an I-A team that wasn't in a big 6 conference was cheap to do on a guarantee? Now FCS games are getting pretty expensive. This will pull 12 games off, so the leverage of the smaller conferences might slightly decrease.

When does the tv deal expire? It will sell better with 6 extra games. 12.5% more

They could get more seasons with seven games by brining in a team on a guarantee, but the only way they could get seven games every year would be to have a guarantee game every year (not counting the FCS game which would always be a guarantee). There just wouldn't be any room for a road game, since the BCS game would already take up the road game.

Remember the days when getting in an I-A team that wasn't in a big 6 conference was cheap to do on a guarantee? Now FCS games are getting pretty expensive. This will pull 12 games off, so the leverage of the smaller conferences might slightly decrease.

It sounds like NE is not going to waver from seven games. They will pay whatever it takes.

http://www.omaha.com/article/20110804/BIGRED/708049773/-1#ninth-league-game-has-nonconference-impact

According to Osborne coaches were unanimously against it. AD's were 50-50.

If you're playing a home and home with a BCS opponent each season in the non-conference, that means the other two games both have to be at home. To get seven home games, you need all three non-conference games at home in years where you have only 4 home conference games, and in years where you have 5 home conference games, you can play one non-conference game on the road. You can get one of the home games by playing a FCS opponent, but the other one would have to be a guarantee game.

Probably true that we'll drop the USC level (which I wish we had done this year). But NDSU, SDSU and SD have been outplaying us in recent years. NDSU is a natural - wouldn't mind playing them every year and they bring a ton of fans with them. Just so we don't go to 10 BIG games - or worse, a round-robin.

I did a mathematical equation on this at one point, assuming you get 1-1's with BCS schools, 2-1s with mid majors, and 1-0s with FCS schools, you could play a BCS school every year if you were willing to accept playing only 6 home games once every 5 years or something like that.

Top Bottom