Big Game

ncgo4

Reaction score
In many ways this was a statement game. 1. The offense started strong for the first time. 2. We established the running game for the first time. Granted it was NU's defense but it was 166 yards. 3. Coaches made good adjustments at the half for the fourth straight game. 4. Defense held NU to 24 points with big plays at the end to seal the deal. 5. One penalty, count it, one.

Disagree?

In many ways this was a statement game. 1. The offense started strong for the first time. 2. We established the running game for the first time. Granted it was NU's defense but it was 166 yards. 3. Coaches made good adjustments at the half for the fourth straight game. 4. Defense held NU to 24 points with big plays at the end to seal the deal. 5. One penalty, count it, one.

You can disagree with #3 if you want, but #4 is a fact. The two strip / fumble recoveries were big plays to seal the game.

I was disappointed with the defense today. I really thought they would be much better. I think some of it was the scheme, but they couldn't cover and couldn't tackle. Came up with just enough big plays to survive, so I'll take it, but... What really stood out was the play of Sherels and Simmons. I've been big fans of them, but man, not today. Uninspired to say the least. Again, very happy with the win, but there were a number of drops and/or overthrows by Northwestern that were far more responsible for the outcome than the play of the Gopher defense.

I was disappointed with the defense today. I really thought they would be much better. I think some of it was the scheme, but they couldn't cover and couldn't tackle. Came up with just enough big plays to survive, so I'll take it, but... What really stood out was the play of Sherels and Simmons. I've been big fans of them, but man, not today. Uninspired to say the least. Again, very happy with the win, but there were a number of drops and/or overthrows by Northwestern that were far more responsible for the outcome than the play of the Gopher defense.

I was not impressed by the D today, either, to say the least; however, while NU had some drops, they also made some amazing catches that I doubt some of those guys will ever make again; including but not limited to their final TD.

I was not impressed by the D today, either, to say the least; however, while NU had some drops, they also made some amazing catches that I doubt some of those guys will ever make again; including but not limited to their final TD.

You're right. I noticed that too. They did have about five catches where I just couldn't believe they made the catch. Most noticeable was the TD at end of third.

Our dbacks as a group did not stand out today. When our dline had some juice at the start and end of the game and put pressure on Kafka. That was the only time our defense looked good yesterday.

I see that according to the Star-Trib this morning, Simmons was actually benched in favor of the freshman in the second half. That's very interesting.

I see that according to the Star-Trib this morning, Simmons was actually benched in favor of the freshman in the second half. That's very interesting.

With better recruiting we now have some options when guys are not playing well.

Simmons is far from the good cover corner he has been made out to be.

Where exactly did you see this? Couldn't find it on my own.

Where exactly did you see this? Couldn't find it on my own.

Was at the game. Was shocked to see BPT pulled after NU's 2nd TD. Carter played the remainder of the game and did a very nice job. He plays a lot bigger than he looks, that's for sure.

BPT did play on special teams, but did not return on defense. Even on nickel/dime situations. He left the field with his helmet on while the other players were celebrating with the crowd.

I'm a huge fan of BPT. Hope he can get his issues addressed and get back to last year's high-quality play.

Top Bottom