BIG Game 2: Gophers Visit Iowa (12-30-23)

Not much to add other than these thoughts: Knowing how Iowa will play, I was most disappointed in (1) how we were not mentally ready to combat Iowa's relentless attack. Slow to get back and defend, confused about who to cover when we did. And (2) how we failed to rebound. When your offense is not clicking, two things you can do: hustle and rebound.

Throw this game out. Would love to beat Maryland on Wednesday. Still optimistic about this season.

can we just ALL remember yes we lost yesterday and I too was hoping for a better showing but. let's REMEMBER Iowa has had 3 starters together for since 2020..

and we have 3 Sophomores and 2 players who were just playing in their 2ND BIG game of their career..

I'm sure they will learn from this and improve..

our 2 loses are to TWO RANKED teams..

For comparison, rivals Michigan, Nebraska, Michigan State, and Penn State all won and lost. The whole group including Gophers is up and down, look good and then -- "what happened?" -- not good.

If we look at the remaining Gophers schedule, let's say Gophers can't beat Ohio State, Maryland, Indiana and Iowa. Gophers may win, but for counting we'll say no wins there.

The Gophers then have 12 games against other Big Ten teams. Winning 7 of those 12 would finish the season 8-5 in Big Ten play and 18-6 in overall play. For seeding for the Big Ten Tournament here in town, finishing middle of the pack regular season is not bad.

Anyway, lots of uncertainty with the teams in Minnesota's Big Ten peer group. The games coming up against Michigan and Nebraska are real important for all three teams.

The Gophers are young and with uncertain depth. Iowa in contrast was a veteran machine of speed and precision. Unfortunately, that description used to be the description for Maryland, the next game.

-------
And today Nebraska faces Maryland. Will be interesting to see the results.

1704040817841.png

For comparison, rivals Michigan, Nebraska, Michigan State, and Penn State all won and lost. The whole group including Gophers is up and down, look good and then -- "what happened?" -- not good.

-------

View attachment 29270

Maryland is favored by 1.5 points over Nebraska, per FanDuel.

Clark’s incredible range and great passing opens up the floor so much, makes them really hard to defend.

Big game underway. Nebraska is playing to the top of their game and leading by 1 point over Maryland. A Nebraska win makes it harder for Minnesota to pass Nebraska in rankings. Maryland supposedly is better than anyone but Ohio State, Indiana and Iowa -- but not yet proven. This season is definitely a weaker season for Maryland's Brenda Frese, a former top coach for Minnesota.

1704054630361.png

Big game underway. Nebraska is playing to the top of their game and leading by 1 point over Maryland. A Nebraska win makes it harder for Minnesota to pass Nebraska in rankings. Maryland supposedly is better than anyone but Ohio State, Indiana and Iowa -- but not yet proven. This season is definitely a weaker season for Maryland's Brenda Frese, a former top coach for Minnesota.

View attachment 29274
this post belongs in the other big ten conference game thread, just a heads up!

If we look at the remaining Gophers schedule, let's say Gophers can't beat Ohio State, Maryland, Indiana and Iowa. Gophers may win, but for counting we'll say no wins there.

The Gophers then have 12 games against other Big Ten teams. Winning 7 of those 12 would finish the season 8-5 in Big Ten play and 18-6 in overall play. For seeding for the Big Ten Tournament here in town, finishing middle of the pack regular season is not bad.

Anyway, lots of uncertainty with the teams in Minnesota's Big Ten peer group. The games coming up against Michigan and Nebraska are real important for all three teams.

The Gophers are young and with uncertain depth. Iowa in contrast was a veteran machine of speed and precision. Unfortunately, that description used to be the description for Maryland, the next game.

-------

View attachment 29270
We are 11 and 2. We have 16 Big Ten games left. If we only win 7 of the 16 that would be
18 and 11 by my count. 8 and 10 in the Big Ten. I think we need to get to 9 and 9 and beat somebody in the Big Ten Tournament to have a chance to make the NCAA Tournament. (depending, I guess what other teams do)
I don't know the league well enough to be sure but post defense is going to be a problem all year long. We are very reliant on Mara Braun playing well and scoring 20 points or more every night to win in the Big Ten. We need to do a better job of helping her get open looks. Didn't happen vs Iowa. Can't just let her defender hug her all night...gotta run her into screens....put Sophie at 3 point line and use that size to allow Braun to get some space. Hard for a guard defender to get around Sophie. Sophie can dive and get mismatches inside if they switch....if the floor is spaced.
Or Braun can drive and kick if they are waiting in the lane.
Heyer, Grace, and Battle spaced outside of the three point line can all shoot open threes if the defense collapses or Battle can shot fake and attack.
We are going to rebound better and play better defense overall but can we score vs Big Ten defenses? Caitlin is superb and Iowa has a system. Hopefully, most Big Ten teams don't exploit us as much.
Purdue at home steamrolled Wisconsin by 30...so again...tough to know what is in store.
Two games in...we know Iowa is better than we are. We need a different plan to compete at home in February.

Assuming no major injuries, the Iowa game, in February, at home, will allow us to see if we have improved during the year. Even if we lose we will hopefully be more competitive in the next game.

We are 11 and 2. We have 16 Big Ten games left. If we only win 7 of the 16 that would be
18 and 11 by my count. 8 and 10 in the Big Ten.

Good take.

Thanks for correcting that count, by bad. My main intention was choosing 8 wins. Not 9. Big difference between 8 and 9. And then that whole group of teams is uncertain. What if Gophers hit these teams when they are hot, like Michigan beat Ohio State after Michigan flopped in some games. We don't really know. And then Gophers shooting is variable game to game.

And Gophers are starting a freshman at wing, no matter how good, is going to be a learning season for any freshman. Check back on her in two years. Have realistic expectations for any freshman.

Sophomore forward Hannah Stuelke has boosted Iowa, adding to veteran strength at other positions. She had 19 points against the Gophers.

1704125822234.png

1704126088112.png

18 and 11 by my count. 8 and 10 in the Big Ten. I think we need to get to 9 and 9 and beat somebody in the Big Ten Tournament to have a chance to make the NCAA Tournament. (depending, I guess what other teams do)
I don't know the league well enough to be sure but post defense is going to be a problem all year long. We are very reliant on Mara Braun playing well and scoring 20 points or more every night to win in the Big Ten. We need to do a better job of helping her get open looks. Didn't happen vs Iowa. Can't just let her defender hug her all night...gotta run her into screens....put Sophie at 3 point line and use that size to allow Braun to get some space. Hard for a guard defender to get around Sophie. Sophie can dive and get mismatches inside if they switch....if the floor is spaced.
Heyer, Grace, and Battle spaced outside of the three point line can all shoot open threes if the defense collapses or Battle can shot fake and attack.
We are going to rebound better and play better defense overall but can we score vs Big Ten defenses? Caitlin is superb and Iowa has a system. Hopefully, most Big Ten teams don't exploit us as much.
Purdue at home steamrolled Wisconsin by 30...so again...tough to know what is in store.
Two games in...we know Iowa is better than we are. We need a different plan to compete at home in February.
It would help if Battle did less dribbling. Too often, it seems, she looks for her shot first and only passes when her dribbling doesn't get her open. By then the shot clock is running out. If you want Braun, Grace, and Heyer to get open shots, you need much better ball movement. And yes, better screens would help too.

K State showed a defensive formula to slow down CC. They trapped her just beyond 1/2 court- her normal shooting range. It disrupted Iowa’s offensive flow enough that they pulled off the upset. Much easier to say than do.

K State showed a defensive formula to slow down CC. They trapped her just beyond 1/2 court- her normal shooting range. It disrupted Iowa’s offensive flow enough that they pulled off the upset. Much easier to say than do.
Not sure you can play that way with GG on the floor.

Discussed at length in posts. GG is talented but lacks foot speed n having her guard CC was head scratching to me . We contained her better when we switched off and had Sanders/ Battle play her. She’s a match up nightmare n I said earlier the goal should be to slow her down. I hope we are more competitive in Feb.

Top Bottom