Big 10 Refs

Gopherbbdude

Reaction score
What a train wreck!!! Watching MD vs OSU.... the home cooking is unreal!!!

Home cooking in college basketball is about as bad as it gets. The refs are just too easily influenced. It was really bad watching Drake at Bradley the other day (both teams only had 1 loss at home all season).

Aren't Big 10 refs literally the same human beings as Big 12, Big East, SEC, etc officials?

Many refs will work different conferences.

I saw local ref Eric Curry doing a Northwestern game and a couple days later doing Utah/Arizona

Home cooking in college basketball is about as bad as it gets. The refs are just too easily influenced. It was really bad watching Drake at Bradley the other day (both teams only had 1 loss at home all season).
This may have cost the Big 10 a tournament team.

This was a quad 3 loss for Rutgers and that is brutal for them.

Maybe we knock Rutgers and Bucky out of the tourney in back to back games.

There was nothing for the refs to review. That was the problem.
I was at the Barn tonight, a fine evening to make my season debut. Sticking around while it played out was quite a surreal experience. The crowd kept chearing with every replay.

Having got home and rewatching the TV telecast on DVR, I can't figure out what took so long. Clock clearly started on time. Shot was released before the clock & light. Battle was well behind the line.

If I had bolted to my car right away I could have been in Dakota Cty by the time the Gophers were declared victors!

Tonight's ref should be fired immediately. It took 12 minutes to review that! 12!
I really hope they release some sort of explanation on what exactly was being reviewed and why it took so long to do it. So much confusion on what they were actually looking at that caused the delay in declaring the game over.

Tonight's ref should be fired immediately. It took 12 minutes to review that! 12!
I get making sure everything was legit, but jeezuz, it felt like they were looking for something, anything to reverse a made basket.

A. Ball released before buzzer? True
B. Player behind 3 pt line? True
C. Player in bounds during entire possession? True
D. Clock start immediately upon player touching inbound roll? True
E. Player making inbound roll stay behind baseline? True

When A and B and C and D and E = true, Then Outcome(win) = true.

I get making sure everything was legit, but jeezuz, it felt like they were looking for something, anything to reverse a made basket.

Agree. And all the things you mentioned could have been/and were seen by all of us fans w/in about 60-90 seconds. 12 minutes? Ridiculous!

Big question for me is who initiated the review? Was it the crappy refs trying to dig a reason up to deny the outcome or was it something Rutgers asked for? Both bs, but different. If it was really a clock review from multiple stoppages prior, that is the biggest piece of crap since the 72 Olympics. And will result in every team losing at the buzzer to check the clock for multiple possessions at the end of the game.

In the arena we first thought it was the clock not starting in time and thought it was the clock starting too soon but neither seems to be the case.

I watched the Illinois game again. Refs were ridiculously bad in the second half. Illinois got horrible calls. Since Illinois won, it’s not sour grapes.

The Big Ten wants as many teams in the tourney as possible. It’s pretty obvious that they wanted Rutgers and Michigan to win last night. The refs did their part in both games.

Is everything about the play subject to review, such as items C & E?

Even D I have an issue with. Hypothetically, if it started .3 too late, who is to say that Battle wouldn't have put up the shot just that much quicker in order to beat the clock?

Oh, well. It worked out. Refs did a great job of awarding the Gophers the ball in the last minute (twice) when there reviews on possessions on the baseline in the Rutgers backcourt!

Even D I have an issue with. Hypothetically, if it started .3 too late, who is to say that Battle wouldn't have put up the shot just that much quicker in order to beat the clock?

Oh, well. It worked out. Refs did a great job of awarding the Gophers the ball in the last minute (twice) when there reviews on possessions on the baseline in the Rutgers backcourt!
The whole thing was so surreal that it deserves an announcement from the league office. It was bizarre sitting in the arena seeing the replay multiple times clearly showing he got the shot off in time and having the refs go back and forth between the scorers table and the TV guys, and then never getting a public explanation of what the review was. Was anything mentioned on TV?

I watched the Illinois game again. Refs were ridiculously bad in the second half. Illinois got horrible calls. Since Illinois won, it’s not sour grapes.

The Big Ten wants as many teams in the tourney as possible. It’s pretty obvious that they wanted Rutgers and Michigan to win last night. The refs did their part in both games.
I agree. That's what it felt like. Rutgers can't afford this loss, so what can we do to help them?

The whole thing was so surreal that it deserves an announcement from the league office. It was bizarre sitting in the arena seeing the replay multiple times clearly showing he got the shot off in time and having the refs go back and forth between the scorers table and the TV guys, and then never getting a public explanation of what the review was. Was anything mentioned on TV?
The announcers said they were trying to get video showing the actual game clock starting when the in bounds ball was touched. Ben also referenced it quickly on the radio post-game interview.

Last edited:

This may have cost the Big 10 a tournament team.

This was a quad 3 loss for Rutgers and that is brutal for them.

Maybe we knock Rutgers and Bucky out of the tourney in back to back games.
Honest to god, how can one not conclude this?! The conference is desperate to get Rutgers and Wisconsin into the NCAAs. That review would never have been conducted under any other circumstances. Indeed, did I see that that length of review is unprecentended in the history of sports?

Honest to god, how can one not conclude this?! The conference is desperate to get Rutgers and Wisconsin into the NCAAs. That review would never have been conducted under any other circumstances. Indeed, did I see that that length of review is unprecentended in the history of sports?
It was so odd seeing the players on the court ready for the hand shake line for roughly 10 minutes.

The ending reminded me of this Packers/Bears game from 1989, but I have no idea how much time it took to review. Wiki just says it was "long".

. It’s pretty obvious that they wanted Rutgers and Michigan to win last night. The refs did their part in both games.
How?
Fouls were 18 each, even with the Gophers fouling intentionally over the last couple minutes. They awarded the Gophers the ball twice in the final minute on close OB calls.

I'd like to know what they were reviewing, but the game was called very fairly. And in the end, Gophers win.

The announcers said they were trying to get video showing the actual game clock starting when the in bounds ball was touched. Ben also referenced it quickly on the radio post-game interview.
Was there an issue with the TV broadcast not being able to show it to the refs? Because the broadcast showed multiple views of it. The clock might have started a few tenths of a second late, but I don't think there's anyway you can reverse something like that unless it was blatantly a full second or more late. Anything less you just have to go with what happened IMO.

Battle might have shot quicker if he had less time.

Was there an issue with the TV broadcast not being able to show it to the refs? Because the broadcast showed multiple views of it. The clock might have started a few tenths of a second late, but I don't think there's anyway you can reverse something like that unless it was blatantly a full second or more late. Anything less you just have to go with what happened IMO.

Battle might have shot quicker if he had less time.
TV had the "superimposed" clock but not video of the actual official game clock (ones above the shot clock/basket I am guessing) from when the inbounds was touched.

That was my understanding. I already deleted the game, so I can't go back and check.

I agree with the Battle statement, yeah he might have released it a hair quicker if he had less time. The superimposed clock starts exactly when the ball was touched or as close as possible, IMO.

Last edited:

The review has been such an easy crutch now for officials. You watch the two plays where the Gophers were awarded the ball and the one ref is signaling for a review without even making a call.

Big Ten refs couldn't lead a lady of the evening to bed.

TV had the "superimposed" clock but not video of the actual official game clock (ones above the shot clock/basket I am guessing) from when the inbounds was touched.

That was my understanding. I already deleted the game, so I can't go back and check.

I agree with the Battle statement, yeah he might have released it a hair quicker if he had less time. The superimposed clock starts exactly when the ball was touched or as close as possible, IMO.
The bold doesn't matter. The shot clock above the Rutgers hoop (directly connected to the main clock) showed the clock started correctly. Unless for some reason the ref's weren't shown that view. We saw it on TV many times. No need to see the main scoreboard clock if you can see the clocks above the hoops. They are connected. The 2 clocks that mattered are in sync. One above Rutgers hoop-started when Cooper picked up the ball-and the one above our hoop-turned red at 00:00 when the ball was in the air. I saw both of those views mutiple times during the 12 minute ref review.

Top Bottom