Big 10 Power Forward Rankings (3. Dawson Garcia)

This has to be the weakest overall position in the league. Never heard of half of them, and those we do know weren't exactly prolific.
Small forward / wing is rough. I'd put the talent at that position in the Big Ten below PF.

Dawson has the highest ceiling & most talent out of all these guys but 3rd is fair. If he can play a bit tougher this season - which he showed he can do near the end of the last season - he'll be #1 out of this group.
He’ll play tougher with a little more rest during the game. We can do that this year with more depth.

New system. New team mates. (Freshmen or subpar players gone). Injuries. All that has been corrected. He will have an All B1G season.

Last edited:

Small forward / wing is rough. I'd put the talent at that position in the Big Ten below PF.
Looking at what each team has, that's possible. Part of that is because it's hard to discern who's a true 3 - there's a ton of combo guards on the rosters.

Looking at what each team has, that's possible. Part of that is because it's hard to discern who's a true 3 - there's a ton of combo guards on the rosters.
What does this even mean? This thinking handcuffs coaches and players. Old basketball thinking is a loser mentality. There are creative schemes and personnel combinations that blow that thinking away big time.

At end of the season a lot of where he finishes ranked in the conf will come down to wether or not teams will be able to crowd the paint. Our guards and wings must take pressure of him and Payne... Only way...

What does this even mean? This thinking handcuffs coaches and players. Old basketball thinking is a loser mentality. There are creative schemes and personnel combinations that blow that thinking away big time.
I think we're basically agreeing. I was responding to the comment that the small forward/wing position (that's what known as a 3 - I shouldn't have to teach this to such a brilliant basketball mind that you're always telling us you are, but I've added this clarification to avoid further confusion) is the weakest talent-wise among the starters across the league. My comment was saying that most teams in the B1G aren't even using traditional 3s. How exactly is that handcuffing coaches and players?

A lack of traditional 3s relates to the lack of “3” talent. Battle is a great example of that. Combo guards are a combination of point guard and a shooting guard but not suited to perfectly fit either position. We had neither a point guard, a shooting guard or combo guards last year. You attempt to lessen confusion increased it. I do think our thinking is similar. Ihnen and Betts are combo forwards. Their abilities to shoot, defend, and rebound allow them to excel at both positions. JOJ fits there some where too. Christie potentially is a point forward immediately and/or shooting guard. Huge potential this year. I’m excited for Carrington. This will be a good year. A turnaround year with a very competitive team.

Top Bottom