Best Win - Worst Loss of Brewster Era

Big Ten Mind

Reaction score
Best win: Illinois on the road last year - Zooker's team didn't make a bowl but they had/have a lot of talent and it was on the road (2nd Air Force '09)

Worst loss: Got to go with Michigan in the dome last year - Iowa game was embarrassing but Michigan was down and lost 9 games in '08 (2nd Iowa '08)

IMHO...that's an interesting "history" thread best left for after Brew wraps up a successful career of glory years at Minny...much too premature...my focus is on the now and next 2-3 years.

IMHO...that's an interesting "history" thread best left for after Brew wraps up a successful career of glory years at Minny...much too premature...my focus is on the now and next 2-3 years.

"Glory years at Minny"? With Tressell, Ferentz, Rich Rod, and Joe Pa's staff in the conference that may be wishful thinking...time will tell

How can any loss to Michigan possibly be worse then getting clobbered by I-AA NDSU or MAC team Bowling Green?

Big Ten Mind...

You're right...time will tell...Brew and much of GN...me included...are dreaming the big dream.

Best win? There aren't any. We play for 4 traveling trophies, Brewster has never won any of them. Since we've never beaten a ranked team in his tenure, that leaves no choices for this category.

Worst Loss? Too many to pick just one, so here's several:

55-doughnut - 'nuff said :mad:
NW '08 - Losing the game on a last minute pick 6 at home to an unranked team. Embarrassing. :eek:
Michigan '08 - Oh so few legit chances to bring home the jug, and we get blown out by a 9 loss team. Again, at home. Brutal. :(
North Dakota St. - Seriously? At home. :confused:
Bowling Green St. - Really? At home. :cry:
Florida Atlantic - Come on! At least this one was on the road. :rolleyes:
Wisc '09 - This might be a stretch but its a game I thought should have been had. Forever, they get to say how they won the first ever Big Ten game in TCF Bank Stadium history. I just threw up in my mouth a little bit.
eck16.gif

Umm, does two seasons and another 5 games into the third season of coaching constitute an era? Wow, I guess time really does fly.

Umm, does two seasons and another 5 games into the third season of coaching constitute an era? Wow, I guess time really does fly.

If he tanks out the rest of the season and perhaps chokes next year as well it may well be late in the Tim Brewster era right now...

So, none of the wins mean anything to you?
I guess you would have to be more specific to explain what "anything" means. The topic is the best and worst victories of Brewster's short reign. When you factor in the wins that have been chalked up since Brewster took over, none of them seem appropriate to be next to a description such as "best". I realize even in a bad data set something has to be the best. But when you consider what the Gophers play for every year, Brewster hasn't won anything yet. No trophy game victories, no victories against ranked opponents, and no bowl game victories. Throw in Penn St. and Ohio St. because they are considered Big Ten elite, and there still aren't any big wins to talk about.

What's left? There are a fair amount of road victories to talk about (Bowling Green, Illinois, and Purdue in '08, and Syracuse and Northwestern in '09). At home was Miami in '07 (Only victory of the season), Northern Illinois, Montana St, Florida Atlantic, and Indiana in '08, and Air Force in '09. To try to pick one of these as the "best" is pretty difficult. I don't know that any stand out as being a win that Brewster could point to with any enthusiasm. You could probably say that the road victories against Illinois, Purdue, Northwestern, and maybe Syracuse as a 4 way tie for the best win of Brewster's tenure.

I don't want to be thought of as a Brewster hater because I'm behind him 100%. While I believe that positive forward steps to improve the program have taken place, those positive steps have not occurred on the field yet. In my opinion, the wins that have been posted are nothing special and not enough to point to one as the "best". Hopefully, that changes soon.

I guess you would have to be more specific to explain what "anything" means. The topic is the best and worst victories of Brewster's short reign. When you factor in the wins that have been chalked up since Brewster took over, none of them seem appropriate to be next to a description such as "best". I realize even in a bad data set something has to be the best. But when you consider what the Gophers play for every year, Brewster hasn't won anything yet. No trophy game victories, no victories against ranked opponents, and no bowl game victories. Throw in Penn St. and Ohio St. because they are considered Big Ten elite, and there still aren't any big wins to talk about.

What's left? There are a fair amount of road victories to talk about (Bowling Green, Illinois, and Purdue in '08, and Syracuse and Northwestern in '09). At home was Miami in '07 (Only victory of the season), Northern Illinois, Montana St, Florida Atlantic, and Indiana in '08, and Air Force in '09. To try to pick one of these as the "best" is pretty difficult. I don't know that any stand out as being a win that Brewster could point to with any enthusiasm. You could probably say that the road victories against Illinois, Purdue, Northwestern, and maybe Syracuse as a 4 way tie for the best win of Brewster's tenure.

I don't want to be thought of as a Brewster hater because I'm behind him 100%. While I believe that positive forward steps to improve the program have taken place, those positive steps have not occurred on the field yet. In my opinion, the wins that have been posted are nothing special and not enough to point to one as the "best". Hopefully, that changes soon.

I just read your section about the wins and the lack of a "Big" win and now I am wondering, has Brewster ever beaten a team with a winning record?

I just read your section about the wins and the lack of a "Big" win and now I am wondering, has Brewster ever beaten a team with a winning record?
Sadly the best finishing opponent Brewster has beaten is last year's Florida Atlantic team that finished 7-6 with a victory in the Motor City Bowl. Montana finished 7-5 last year but that wasn't good enough to qualify for the FCS playoffs. Bowling Green finished 6-6 last year. It looks like Air Force will likely finish this season with a winning record. Unless Syracuse finds their way to an unlikely winning record this year, that would be it for teams at or above .500 that have been beaten by the Tim Brewster led Gophers. Not great at all. In fact, it's not even average. Here's to hoping the off field success will translate to on field results soon. I am cautiously hopeful.

Here's the wins and losses of the teams the Gophers have beaten by year:

Syracuse (2-3, probably won't finish over .500)
Air Force (3-2, should clear .500)*
Northwestern (3-2, probably won't finish over .500)

Northern Illinois (6-7)
Bowling Green (6-6)
Montana State (7-5)*
Florida Atlantic (7-6)*

Indiana (3-9)
Purdue (4-8)

Miami (OH) 6-7

* > .500 team.

Best: The moral victory over the unstoppable national champion CAL juggernaut.

Worst: NDSU. pfffff. bahahaha.

Thank god we aren't playing top high school teams. We'd lose to them too.

I can't seem to get into this thread...

Is it about Brew/G "bragging rights"?...There aren't any of substantial merit yet...eos;

About Brew/G "bashing rights"?...He hasn't been with the U long enough for GN or his bosses to make a serious, informed judgment imho;

An odd G history lesson?...Seems like a rather narrow area of G history...Where's the "era"?;

More G talent bashing?...Many posters here have shown repeatedly that a weak recruiting effort in years previous relative to BT opponents was a key reason the Gs have been stuck in the lower-tier of the conference. Also, GHers have posted that talent and depth are obviously increasing in certain areas (DL, LB, WR, STs) and that others are being addressed with a strong recruiting effort. The talent bashing line is getting old.

Or is there something else going on here?

I can't seem to get into this thread...

Is it about Brew/G "bragging rights"?...There aren't any of substantial merit yet...eos;

About Brew/G "bashing rights"?...He hasn't been with the U long enough for GN or his bosses to make a serious, informed judgment imho;

An odd G history lesson?...Seems like a rather narrow area of G history...Where's the "era"?;

More G talent bashing?...Many posters here have shown repeatedly that a weak recruiting effort in years previous relative to BT opponents was a key reason the Gs have been stuck in the lower-tier of the conference. Also, GHers have posted that talent and depth are obviously increasing in certain areas (DL, LB, WR, STs) and that others are being addressed with a strong recruiting effort. The talent bashing line is getting old.

Or is there something else going on here?
OP has nine or so posts and is trolling for a response, any kind of response. Remember when you were in Junior High (or Middle School) and some kid would make a farting sound to see whether he could attract attention. Same M.O. -- just the Internet version.

But, unlike the Nobel Prize thread, at least this had some football content. But that's pretty much the only difference. ... ;)

countdownclub.jpg

Makes sense...great to have you guys on "troll-alert" with all "troll-sensors" operational.

Worst loss was last year to Iowa, I don't think it is possible to ever top that. The Gophers decided their season was over after blowing the lead at Wisconsin.

Best win was last year against Illinois. Point to their finishing record all you want, but winning on the road against that team was very surprising at the time. I feel like Illinois lost confidence and desire as the season went on last year, much like the Gophers did.

The Gophers were 7-1 with 4 very winnable games remaining and lost them all. In my opinion, just going 2-2 over that final span would have the program a year ahead of where it appears to be now.

Top Bottom