Best Recruiting Class?

EE_Gopher

Reaction score
In Sid's column:

"Brewster says this is the best freshman class he has had in his four seasons at Minnesota, and Manuel is one reason he feels that way."

Don't know if this is just another Brewsterism or what. Personally, I think his best class was 2009. That is where he locked up the most in-state talent and also picked up Micheal Carter.

My guess is that he may mean best Freshman class quite literally. Not best class, but best class now as a group of freshman. In other words, the most freshman who are capable of playing and contributing as freshman. Edwards, Gjere, Manuel, and possibly some of the other backs and OL. That said, we do have more depth now among RFr, Sophs, Juniors, so many of these guys may not end-up playing. But there are more guys who are ready to play college football now if they had been needed (like in '07).

Well if this is his best class it would be a huge surprise. I think the 08 and 09 classes were both better, at least initially. From the 08 class you have Cooper, Rallis, Tinsley, Whilite, all 3 WRs, Lair, etc. From the 09 class you have Hageman, KGM, Watkins, Carter, etc. Those are all young guys that will be important players this year. Honestly I was only excited for a handful of players in this class (Edwards, Gjere, Kirkwood, Manuel, and a few others)

I think that the best class is always the new one on campus.

I see it as sort of being like Christmas. You have an idea of what you are getting, but you never know for sure until you unwrap them.

In Sid's column:

"Brewster says this is the best freshman class he has had in his four seasons at Minnesota, and Manuel is one reason he feels that way."

Don't know if this is just another Brewsterism or what. Personally, I think his best class was 2009. That is where he locked up the most in-state talent and also picked up Micheal Carter.

James Manuel is playing at an extremely high level. He showed earlier in the summer that he could move for such a large kid but you never know until they put the pads on.

Well they have put the pads on and he looks (playing) even better. Let the competition begin!

I really want to believe the hype about Manual. It would really help the secondary to have another guy back there.

Brewsterism

Just like our punter is the "best in the nation." I'm sure he's good, but calm down Brew - let's take things slow buddy.

Brewsterism

Just like our punter is the "best in the nation." I'm sure he's good, but calm down Brew - let's take things slow buddy.

To be fair they've said they don't know if there's a more talented young punter in the country and have stressed consistency. I haven't seen a single quote saying that the kid is the best in the nation. Your post sounds a lot like something Reusse would write, completely twisting the words around. At most they may have said he has the talent to be the best in the nation

To be fair they've said they don't know if there's a more talented young punter in the country and have stressed consistency. I haven't seen a single quote saying that the kid is the best in the nation. Your post sounds a lot like something Reusse would write, completely twisting the words around. At most they may have said he has the talent to be the best in the nation

Fair enough. I think I automatically twist Brew's words around in my head purely for my own enjoyment.

From Fuller:
Gophers coach Tim Brewster said redshirt freshman Dan Orseske might be the best young punter in the nation.

There are no quotes around that, so I would not consider that a direct quote, also he writes that he Brew said Dan Orseske might be...

He also said "young" punter. And honestly, the kid was pretty darn good last year in his limited time, I'm not gonna argue.

But as far as his statement about the current freshman class, it's different than saying he feels something is the "best in the nation", as opposed to looking within his own program. He sees each and every one of his own kids, and saw them all first hand when they arrived. That's much more credible than comparing one of his own to all the other players in the nation.

Brewster clearly understands that the coaching staff knows more then the recruiting experts when it comes to ranking a class.

He may have also have figured out that having a great class on paper does not do much good if so many of them can't get into school or leave school before they contribute. Especially if they are the higher ranked players in the class.

Finally, he may have figured out that recruiting head to head against the top ten "name" teams in the nation for the guys that everyone can identify as 4 and 5 star talent and that can get into school is no picnic and that he had to find guys that the coaching staff liked and develop them into players no matter what the "recruiting experts" said.

Either that, or he is full of it.

I hope it is the latter.

Fair enough. I think I automatically twist Brew's words around in my head purely for my own enjoyment.

I know I do when it comes to Bielema, lol. I do think that our fans are so used to Brew being over the top that we automatically go there when he says something now. So saying 'he MIGHT be the best YOUNG punter in the country' is turned to 'he said he's the best punter in the country.

And lets remember that Orseske was booming the ball last year before he went down so its not like the kid's never played

I hope he is right. If we actually have the best young group this year, we are in good shape. The 08 and 09 groups will make solid contributions this year. If 2010 can kick-in 4-5 impact guys, next year could be crazy good.

Latter or Former?

Brewster clearly understands that the coaching staff knows more then the recruiting experts when it comes to ranking a class.

He may have also have figured out that having a great class on paper does not do much good if so many of them can't get into school or leave school before they contribute. Especially if they are the higher ranked players in the class.

Finally, he may have figured out that recruiting head to head against the top ten "name" teams in the nation for the guys that everyone can identify as 4 and 5 star talent and that can get into school is no picnic and that he had to find guys that the coaching staff liked and develop them into players no matter what the "recruiting experts" said.

Either that, or he is full of it.

I hope it is the latter.

Do you hope that Brewer is full of it or do you hope for the "former"?

As a Badger fan he is expressing his hope that Brewster remains off track at beating the Badgers.

Top Bottom