Best public transit from south metro area to stadium

MNSpaniel

Reaction score
We are looking for the easiest route to get to the stadium this year. We are coming south from Rochester. We don't have membership to a parking lot so we are looking to park and catch public transit to the stadium. We would like to board transit close enough not to have a million stops before we get to the stadium. Also, because a few of the times we will bring some folks in their 70s and would like to keep their walk to a minimum. Is there any ride that drops off right in front of the stadium. If I sound ignorant ... I am. I have never been to this part of the city. So if Gopherholers could give us some options we would really appreciate it.

I take the Light Rail from the MOA park-n-ride to the the Metrodome station, and then the route 16 from downtown Mpls to the corner of Oak St. and Washington (this is only a block from the stadium). This is a 45 minute trip. From Rochester you could go to the Ft Snelling park-n-ride right by HWY 55/52 exit to Hiawatha. I believe the route 6 bus will drop you right on University and Oak at the SW corner of the stadium. This all means a slightly longer ride, but no parking fees, and very little walking.

Try this: http://www.metrotransit.org/

You can use their trip planner to plan a trip from wherever you are to wherever you want.

Parking at the Mall of America and taking the light rail is a good idea. I looked at a trip from the Mall to TCF, and it had you taking the light rail from the Mall to the Franklin Avenue transit station, and from there transferring to a bus right to TCF.

I take the Light Rail from the MOA park-n-ride to the the Metrodome station, and then the route 16 from downtown Mpls to the corner of Oak St. and Washington (this is only a block from the stadium). This is a 45 minute trip. From Rochester you could go to the Ft Snelling park-n-ride right by HWY 55/52 exit to Hiawatha. I believe the route 6 bus will drop you right on University and Oak at the SW corner of the stadium. This all means a slightly longer ride, but no parking fees, and very little walking.

I would also add that you can take either route 50 or 16. They run the exact same route through campus, with the exception that 16 drops/picks up at Cedar. Either one will get you close.

is there going to be any parking for handicappers around the stadium? taking my grandpa to AF game and the guy won't be able to walk very far. I've got to figure something out.

is there going to be any parking for handicappers around the stadium? taking my grandpa to AF game and the guy won't be able to walk very far. I've got to figure something out.

Per the Gopher Points FAQ, all you need to park close to the stadium in designated spots is a valid disability parking pass (see screenshot of website attached).

The official stadium website says to call the Ticket Office (612.624.8080 or 1.800.UGOPHER).

Attachments

• Disability Parking.jpg
    Disability Parking.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 4

Per the Gopher Points FAQ, all you need to park close to the stadium in designated spots is a valid disability parking pass (see screenshot of website attached).

The official stadium website says to call the Ticket Office (612.624.8080 or 1.800.UGOPHER).

Great, thanks for the info, I will just call the ticket office. I am the season tik holder so I didn't buy the parking pass, and I'm just bringing him to the one game, so hopefully they will have some other options available when I call.

St. Anthony on Main parking ramp has a good deal for Gopher Football. The parking fee is $12 but with that you get 2 round trip rides on Metro Transit route 6U. The 6U will drop you off very close to TCF. If you have more than 2 people you can purchase from the driver a 6 hour pass for $3.50. I think if you google St Anthony on Main you will get their website.
Taking LRT would be great but you still would have to transfer to a bus to get to the stadium.

Great, thanks for the info, I will just call the ticket office. I am the season tik holder so I didn't buy the parking pass, and I'm just bringing him to the one game, so hopefully they will have some other options available when I call.

You shouldn't need a season ticket pass for any of the lots so long as your grandpa gives you the disability pass to use on your car.

Thanks

There are lots of helpful folks out there. Thank you very much. If there are any other suggestions I would be glad to sort through them. I'm sure you are benefiting lots of others as well. Thanks again everyone!

I would also try some restaurants/bars that are doing free/cheap shuttles right to TCF. Would be easier than the lightrail and buses...

Curseislifted .... do you know what and where some of those restaurants/bars are that would have shuttles? That was something else we had talked about. Stop by early to get a beer/sandwich and then to the game. Unless it is one of those 11:00 games and then it would have to be breakfast.

MN Spaniel:

To avoid a transfer, I would just park anywhere a block or two off the 16 bus line. It picks up in St. Paul so you could just take 52 into St. Paul, and it runs down University with stops on Fairview, Snelling, Dale, etc...I can't imagine that you wouldn't be able to get a free onstreet parking spot near one of those stops. Here's the link to the 16:

http://transit.metc.state.mn.us/Schedules/WebSchedules.aspx?route=16

How about the light rail to Cedar Riverside and walk over to the free West Bank shuttle?

Coming from the south I would park at either the Fort Snelling or 28th Avenue park and ride and hop the train, don't park at the MOA it is not a park and ride location and my friend got towed for parking there during a game. I would take the train up to the Metrodome and grab the 16 or 50, although the buses can only go the speed of traffic, so if it's a mess around the U it will be equally slow for the buses.

I never thought of parking east of the stadium in St. Paul near 280 and taking the 16 or 50, that would probably be less crowded and parking is most likely free within a couple blocks of University Ave.

Public transportation is for jerks and lesbians.

"What you just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I've ever heard. At no point were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it."

"What you just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I've ever heard. At no point were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it."
It's a quote from Homer Simpson. Settle down, spaz.

Cal grad here, so that may make me a jerk and a lesbian. Looking forward to our game in a couple of weeks. How crowded is and how long does the lightrail/bus option take coming from the Warehouse district? Thanks.

LRT to Metrodome takes 6 minutes, Route 16 from LRT to Oak & Washington is about a 10-11 minute ride. Both LRT and Rt 16 run very frequently. Warehouse is the first terminal going southbound so it won't be crowded at all.

LRT to Metrodome takes 6 minutes, Route 16 from LRT to Oak & Washington is about a 10-11 minute ride. Both LRT and Rt 16 run very frequently.

These figures are from a normal traffic day. The train ride will be the same, but the bus ride may be longer due to increased traffic on campus.

I should also mention that route 50 does not run on Saturdays.

Though the 50 does not normally operate on Saturdays, it will be running from at least the Metrodome station to the campus area on gamedays. So bus service between the Metrodome LRT station and the stadium will be much more frequent than a normal Saturday.

No, route 50 does not run on Saturdays. U of M service is back on fall schedule starting 9/12 so there will be more service running that there is now.

My apologies, this is a case of right hand not knowing what left hand is doing. You are right.

Top Bottom