Best part about this season from a recruiting standpoint..

I think Coach Kill and his staff look at each of their recruits on their own "star" scale. And my guess is that each offered recruit is at minimum a 4 or 5 star on their private rating scale! Who gives a flying fart what other people think!!!

Doubtful.

Doubtful.

Which part? That they have their own rating system? Or that they believe the recruits they offer will perform at the top relative to a 4 or 5 star rating? Or whether or not other people are giving a flying fart for your opinion?

Which part? That they have their own rating system? Or that they believe the recruits they offer will perform at the top relative to a 4 or 5 star rating? Or whether or not other people are giving a flying fart for your opinion?

That they only offer people they perceive to be 4* or 5*. It's not true. If it was, then they'd be approaching recruiting much like Rich Pitino. Now that guy only offers people he perceives be 4* or 5*.

That they only offer people they perceive to be 4* or 5*. It's not true. If it was, then they'd be approaching recruiting much like Rich Pitino. Now that guy only offers people he perceives be 4* or 5*.

Agree.... kind of... I think that this coaching staff believes the players they offer will be (or have the potential to be) 4 or 5 star performers in their system... otherwise why would they offer at all?

Agree.... kind of... I think that this coaching staff believes the players they offer will be (or have the potential to be) 4 or 5 star performers in their system... otherwise why would they offer at all?

They try to get the most out of what they can get. I think they know that they can't waste too much time chasing fairy tales. They choose a select few players that they try to reach for each year, but for the most part they offer players that they feel they can turn into serviceable players in their system 3 years from now.

I'm sure they have their own rating system, but the most of the top 250 players in the country and likely not even evaluated by them.

I look for the coaching staff to get a bigger percentage of high three star players. Thee star is from 5.5 to 5.7 I seem to remember that Pirsig was a 5.7 borderline four star. That's the type of player that we will get, the not quite good enough prospect, with a chip on their shoulder. The helmet schools will get the five star and more four stars this staff will get the high three stars. Those high three star and occasional four star will fit into the system with fewer busts than other schools.

You watch teams like Wisconsin and MSU, our next two opponents. Those are models for what I think Kill would like to do. If you look at their classes, they aren't exactly loading up on 4/5 star kids. A lot of times their best players are the low 3, even 2 star kids. For MSU, Darqueze Dennard is one of the best defenders in the conference. He was a 2 star recruit with practically no offers. Without loading on 4 stars, you can get to a high level. It's all about that system and that player development. You probably won't be able to go to national title levels without the elite HS talent, but you can go pretty darn far.

At some point this team will need to land a larger number of better recruits. Mason did a nice job in his time of developing those under the radar recruits but he didnt bring in enough big time talents to mesh them together. When he did get a better recruit it usually showed on the field. We all know how it ended for Mason because he couldnt land enough of the top end talent and the program began to level off. For Kill to get beyond the Mason level he must bring in better recruits.

I always thought Mason's weakness was that he never seemed to develop quality depth anywhere but RB and was especially thin on defense.

If you consistently land mid-3 and high-3 star recruits, you develop a solid team. Keep them all five years and you'll always have depth. The step between solid and big-time usually depends on getting a stud or two on both sides of the ball, particularly at the skilled positions on offense.

So far for 2014, we have 97 offers (according to Scout). You think all these kids the coaching staff believes to have 4 or 5 star potential?
http://minnesota.scout.com/a.z?s=176&p=9&c=4&yr=2014

For the most part, recruiting rankings are pretty accurate. This is why you see teams like Alabama and OSU as the best teams in the nation with the best recruiting classes year after year. However, star rankings are not without their flaws. We have had players for both the football and basketball teams play above and below their projected potential. The fact remains that the folks assigning these ratings are not going to find every high school player in the entire nation and assign an appropriate rating. Top-high end talent usually will stick out, but that doesn't mean that there aren't tons of under recruited players. Kill isn't going to offer just anyone. He looks for the players that fit his system......just as he said when he took the job. Results don't lie. Nobody thought that we would be sitting at 8-2 at this point in the season and if you think that NIU has a roster loaded with four and five star players.....you are mistaken.

I think Coach Kill and his staff look at each of their recruits on their own "star" scale. And my guess is that each offered recruit is at minimum a 4 or 5 star on their private rating scale! Who gives a flying fart what other people think!!!

They have offered a lot of highly-recruited kids who have decided to commit elsewhere and my guess is that they would have enjoyed having all of those kids choose us over the team they chose.

I never quite understand the argument put forward here. Of course if you run a pro-style offense, you will recruit kids that fit that offense. But it's the size of the dog in the fight more than the size of the fight in the dog.

You watch teams like Wisconsin and MSU, our next two opponents. Those are models for what I think Kill would like to do. If you look at their classes, they aren't exactly loading up on 4/5 star kids. Occasionally, some of their better players are the low 3, even 2 star kids.

FIFY

I always thought Mason's weakness was that he never seemed to develop quality depth anywhere but RB and was especially thin on defense.

If you consistently land mid-3 and high-3 star recruits, you develop a solid team. Keep them all five years and you'll always have depth. The step between solid and big-time usually depends on getting a stud or two on both sides of the ball, particularly at the skilled positions on offense.

It appears that you are forgetting about Mason's development of the offensive line. He did well with both OL and RBs, which led to an extraordinary running game. The Gopher TEs also fared pretty well over his tenure. It would have been nice had he installed a defense. If so, he'd probably still be coaching here (or someplace bigger, which is a major reason his recruiting was subpar - hard to recruit when the players expect you to jettison).

i don't think we will ever get 5 star guys consistently but if we can consistently land guys like Jeff jones, Ragnow, Seth Green and then the occasional Jashon Cornell then that will be pretty good

Agree. i don't think it will ever be a class full of them, is what i meant.

Offensive line!?!?!

Yes, "A lot" is an embellishment, but more what I'm getting at, is that it is more frequently than you even realize when you look at their roster. They don't pile on the 4 star guys. But they thrive on high 3s and even 2s on occasion. I think that is possible here in Minnesota. We're never gonna be the school pulling in top 20, or even 30 classes on a yearly basis. But if we can get ourselves up to the point where we are in the top 40 regularly, we'll be alright I think.

Top Bottom