Best Game?

brucekaupa

**** Commander
Reaction score
What's your thoughts on the best game you saw at William in person?

My 2 cents: Gophers vs. #1 Illinois. 1989 (I think it was '89...might have been '90).

The most vivid memory is close game near the end. Illinois bringing the ball up. Newbern guarding point. He bends down and slaps the floor with both hands as if to say, "Bring it on!"

Gophers win.

The Kyle Sanden game was crazy. 1997...could choose about 5 or 6. I was there for 1989 but don't remember a thing.

1982 final game

1982, final season game where we beat Ohio State and won the conference title.

The feeling I had in '88-'89 was that we were a MUCH better team than we were getting credit for. A lot of highly ranked teams came through.

The next year, we were actually picked pre-season to make the sweet 16 (at least in the pre-season mag I used to get)...so while that year was great also, it didn't have the same feeling of nobody giving us a chance.

1982, final season game where we beat Ohio State and won the conference title.

Still have the official stat sheet from that game (when they used to hand it out to reporters after the game), autographed by the team.

That was a great game. Bru kicked arse in that one. Think he poured in 30, including 10-10 from the line.

One of the most exciting games was Jan 30, 1986. Minnesota vs. Ohio State. After the Mitch Lee Wisconsin debacle (by the way we beat Wisconsin that night). The Iron Five beat Ohio State 70 - 65. The Barn was insanely loud that night. More emotion than I can ever remember. We needed that win so bad.

The Ohio State game 1972 was one I will never ever forget. (the Behagen stomp really happened).

The Indiana game 1972..we beat the Hoosiers 52-51 in front of 19,000 + fans. That was an awesome night. It was a few games before the Ohio State fight.

The 1982 game vs Ohio State we clinched the Big Ten title was great.

Seems we have had some mighty big games against Ohio State over the years. Funny how Wisconsin use to be a win taken for granted until Bennett and Ryan came along. Wiscy fans have no idea what doormats they use to be for years and years.

I've only been at the barn the last 10 years or so but by far my favorite game was vs. Indiana in 2002, the same Hoosier team that ended going to the NC game vs. Maryland.

The barn was rocking as Burleson, Rickert, Rychart, and Bennett erased a 13-point halftime defecit to win by 13. Both Mike Davis & the hated Tom Coverdale lost their cool in the game - Davis getting T'd up and Coverdale kicking a missed FT right toward the student section late in the 2nd half. Still the loudest I've heard the barn.

The win moved the Gophers into 2nd place in the BT at the time - I remember thinking there was no way we would miss the tourney, but blown double digit leads against Wisconsin, Northwestern, Michigan, & Illinois doomed them. (They even led the Illinois game by 4 with 20 sec left and had the ball). Ended up 9-7 in BT play and only 2 games out of first.

Mix that team's offense with Tubby's defense and it would have been a BT title team, without a doubt.

The Ohio State game in 82 ... clinched the BT Title. Double T was on fire as was Randy Breuer...
The Mich game with the Fab Five in 1992(?) .. Voshon's scoring was off the charts and the Gophers won in front of a full house. Station 19 ... thanks for taking me to that epic game.

The game where the Gophers beat Iowa in triple OT. I think the score was 107-96. I don't recall the year but Voshon Lenard was on the team.

Completely unrelated, but I thought the NCAA made a rule that only allowed stadiums to seat 15,000 people. I bring this up because I remember reading that there were over 17,000 at the Indiana game. Can someone help me out here? I'm too lazy to do the research.

Completely unrelated, but I thought the NCAA made a rule that only allowed stadiums to seat 15,000 people. I bring this up because I remember reading that there were over 17,000 at the Indiana game. Can someone help me out here? I'm too lazy to do the research.

The fire code changed in the late 70's (I believe) and because of that, not as many 'seats' were available...

If the NCAA was the fire marshal you'd be correct.

Nice, you guys hit my top three... maybe in a different order.

86 - Iron Five vs Ohio St. - the emotional high after the low caused by Madison was incredible.
89 - #1 Illinois - Worst seats I ever had, but the game and the crowd were absolutely fantastic.
82 - Ohio St. for the Championship -didn't get to many games before this year and winning the championship really pulled me in. I didn't fully grasp the significance of the BT Title at the time though.

There have been some great games since, but not quite to the same level of these IMHO.

Go Gophers!!

I gotta go with our win over Illinois in the vacated 96-'97 season. We got them back for our loss down in Champagne - our only loss in conference thus far (2nd overall). Big JT swished 2 free-throws with 5 seconds left (career 55% FT I believe), and then Eric Harris poked the ball away from Kiwane Garris as time expired. Great, GREAT game.

I'll pipe in again with the best game I didn't see.

The Final Four season @ Indiana.

I was in Seattle in a classroom with internet access, hitting refresh on ESPN.com every 10 seconds to get the updated score. I couldn't believe the comeback.

Im only 21 but...

2/5/04
MN 60
WI 50

The intensity in the building was awesome that entire game. The Gophs got off to a great start and a lead with their pressure defense but trailed at half 24-22. Then Vincent Grier took over the game like I've still never seen in person scoring 26 (if memory serves) in the second half (the same amount Wisconsin scored.

Top Bottom