Best bet for an upset?

Ole

Reaction score
Piggybacking off of Rittenberg's Chat today,
Who's our best bet to upset in a memorable way?
Obviously we'll be underdogs in alot of games,
I'm going to say Nebraska will be tough, both teams off bye weeks.
wisky is tough too, they're going to be able to coast in the previous games before we get them.
iowee is more likely since it seems like the team embraced a new level of rivalry game intensity in last seasons' finale.
USC is tough in a season opener, although Kiffen hasn't proven much yet.
Michigan on the road?

I'm not sure, I think we beat iowee, and have a good battle coming off the bye with Nebraska. i'll preface by saying we also probably lose a game we shouldn't like purdue or miami OH.

I have a gut feeling that we just may upset USC.....the players will be sky high playing their first game for Kill, couple that with the andrenaline of starting a new season and I think we give USC all they want.

I'm going to say the Stupid Badgers just because I would like nothing more than to see that stupid smirk wiped off of the face of BB. I do think there is a shot to beat Michigan but can you really call that an upset at this point?

In this order,we will upset USC,Nebraska, Iowa and then Wisconsin for the best darn season in recent memory!
Go Gophers!

My dream scenario would be to pound the red weasels and go for 2 all effing day.

I'm going to say the Stupid Badgers just because I would like nothing more than to see that stupid smirk wiped off of the face of BB. I do think there is a shot to beat Michigan but can you really call that an upset at this point?

Agreed. Though unless we get a major upset before Michigan we will likely be underdogs, even if we've won a couple games.

Personally, I keep hoping for the best, but I think the most likely is Iowa. The spring practice looked pretty ugly, and I have a tough time believing the team will magically gel between now and USC. I'd love to see us wipe the smile off Cheatin' Lane's face, but I don't think the team will be ready. I just think it's going to take several weeks for the team to figure itself out. But that could also put Wisconsin in the realm of possibility. Team comes together at the right time and goes up against a team expecting us to lay down? Could spell upset.

I will be the first to promise we will NOT upset tOSU! ;)

UW. For no other reason than it's time, I'm sick of losing to them and Kill treats the Badgers like a non-conference directional game.

Go Gophers!!

i'll preface by saying we also probably lose a game we shouldn't like purdue or miami OH.
I disagree with this. From what I've seen and heard of Kill's teams, they are very Gameday prepared. I see us losing few games in which we're favored.
Most realistic upset: USC. I feel like the intangibles (other than homefield) are all on our side for this one.

Since we will go undefeated this year, I don't think any game we win will even qualify as an upset.

UW. For no other reason than it's time, I'm sick of losing to them and Kill treats the Badgers like a non-conference directional game.

Go Gophers!!

I had UW pegged as a win 4-5 months ago and little has happened to change that fact. Optimistic? Obviously. But not nearly the insurmountable task some seem to think.

The Gophers will be better than people think and UW will not be as good as people think. tOSU will thrash the Badgers in the Shoe. The Bucks will have already been battle-tested with games against Miami (FL), Nebraska, and MSU and they get TWO WEEKS to get ready for Wisconsin at home. Wisky plays OSU a week after they could very well lose at MSU, their first road game of the season. MSU dismantled the Badgers last year and they should be strong again this year.

I think any team that takes the U for granted is in for trouble.

I had UW pegged as a win 4-5 months ago and little has happened to change that fact. Optimistic? Obviously. But not nearly the insurmountable task some seem to think.

The Gophers will be better than people think and UW will not be as good as people think. tOSU will thrash the Badgers in the Shoe. The Bucks will have already been battle-tested with games against Miami (FL), Nebraska, and MSU and they get TWO WEEKS to get ready for Wisconsin at home. Wisky plays OSU a week after they could very well lose at MSU, their first road game of the season. MSU dismantled the Badgers last year and they should be strong again this year.

Losing by 10 on the road to a pretty good 11-1 team is getting dismantled?

I'd say either Wisconsin or Michigan. scUM is in the same boots we are and we missed them the past two years. I think that's one team in the B1G that we match up with best as far as on paper goes.

And I agree with Ogee with his Wisconsin analysis.

How is losing to Purdue on road an upset? They will be favored by a touchdown and we are about 1-9 in W. Lay

Best bet for an upset??? When, according to lakesbison, the Gophers rip those poor poor NDSU Bison about 54-7.

The Gophers are have won 2 of the last 3 games against Purdue and are 1-1 in the last two games at Purdue. The Gophers may be 1-9 at Purdue, but that means nothing, as the players are long gone on both sides. Looking at the last 10 road games against Purdue takes us back to 1990. The results from the Gutekunst era don't have much to do with what we can expect from the 2011 Gophers. Purdue will probably be favored, but I doubt they would be favored by a touchdown.

Losing by 10 on the road to a pretty good 11-1 team is getting dismantled?

Ummmm... 444 - 292 yard edge in total yards and a 13-minute edge in Time of Possession (against a team like UW that likes to control the clock)? Not to mention MSU tried to help out the Badgers by turning the ball over 3 times to none by UW?

Yeah, I think I feel comfortable with that assessment.

No upsets

This is a rebuilding year. Next year is a rebuilding year. The year after that will be a rebuilding year. Upsets? Only my post will upset the goophie fanatics. Go ahead and dream. But, from my seat, it will be one ugly game after the next by the Gophers. 1-11 may be optimistic.

Be realistic. We have a running game built on the surgeon's knife; new quarterback; suspect d-line; rebuilt secondary; inexperienced and surgically rehabilitated offensive line, and a lack of experienced depth in too many critical spots.

Oi! Maybe the linebackers will be a bright spot. But, they are not viewed very highly by most in the B1G. Where is the bright spot here? Our team is ranked somewhere between 70 and 90, not exactly a heart warming place to be ranked as a whole. That is from people who eat and breath football knowledge, who get published and read by fans everywhere.

We just lost a running back to a transfer and we are to predict upsets! Please, please, please pull some more rabbits out of your collective hats...

This is a rebuilding year. Next year is a rebuilding year. The year after that will be a rebuilding year. Upsets? Only my post will upset the goophie fanatics. Go ahead and dream. But, from my seat, it will be one ugly game after the next by the Gophers. 1-11 may be optimistic.

Be realistic. We have a running game built on the surgeon's knife; new quarterback; suspect d-line; rebuilt secondary; inexperienced and surgically rehabilitated offensive line, and a lack of experienced depth in too many critical spots.

Oi! Maybe the linebackers will be a bright spot. But, they are not viewed very highly by most in the B1G. Where is the bright spot here? Our team is ranked somewhere between 70 and 90, not exactly a heart warming place to be ranked as a whole. That is from people who eat and breath football knowledge, who get published and read by fans everywhere.

We just lost a running back to a transfer and we are to predict upsets! Please, please, please pull some more rabbits out of your collective hats...

holy H who pissed in your cheerios?

yep your right, we have nothing to look forward to for the next 3 years.

Jeez. Your not even worth responding to with facts or logic at this point.

holy H who pissed in your cheerios? I use milk.

yep your right, we have nothing to look forward to for the next 3 years. I only wager my opinion on this year.

Jeez. Your not even worth responding to with facts or logic at this point.
Yet, you did respond!

I know you don't want to hear the negative, Ole. It's okay. Everybody is promising that 2012 will be better, even the trade publications are betting on better things from the new staff. So, the odds are getting better in your world view. Nice to know.

But, if you are serious that there will be upsets, don't just post a hunch like the rest of the twitter limited minds out here. Send in your theory and proofs and see if it sticks in reality. Don't be righteous in your anger. Be right with it. I would gladly come to agreement with you if I could see some of the theories tested and proven right. Same with all the other non-scientific scribes on GH. I'm going to go back to what I was doing, folding laundry and getting ready to head out for a little bit of fun and pleasure with my spouse.

By the Nebraska game the new players should be pretty comfortable with the offense. Iowa and Wisconsin are not likely to look past a rival. Nebraska catches us in the middle of a very tough 4 game stretch, they may look past us.

Nebraska may be the upset.

Beating purdue, Illinois, northwestern, Miami, new Mexico state, north Dakota state wouldn't be upsets.
Losing to Ndsu nmsu and Miami would be upsets the other way.

If they opinions of the football pundits were gospel, there would never be any upsets. But since upsets are not uncommon, it's not at all unreasonable to look for potential upsets this season. When you're predicted to win few games, there are more chances for upsets. Given that the football pundits are predicting Minnesota to win 3 or 4 games, claiming that even winning one game to be optimistic is a bit peculiar.

The way the Gophers finished last season is a reason to think that the problems may have been more coaching than talent.

All the factors you just stated are the exact reasons why you can discuss potential upsets. If pieces were in place, or there was obvious evidence we could be good, then we wouldn't even be discussing it, cause we'd be expecting 7, 8 wins next year. Fact is, we have plenty of opportunities to create an upset considering preseason predictions, and if Kill is able to coach as well as he has throughout the years, odds are in our favor that we will be able to pull off at least ONE surprising win this year. We could be the 120th ranked team in the country, and you could have this conversation cause there's always a shot at putting it together ONE time in a year.

All the factors you just stated are the exact reasons why you can discuss potential upsets. If pieces were in place, or there was obvious evidence we could be good, then we wouldn't even be discussing it, cause we'd be expecting 7, 8 wins next year. Fact is, we have plenty of opportunities to create an upset considering preseason predictions, and if Kill is able to coach as well as he has throughout the years, odds are in our favor that we will be able to pull off at least ONE surprising win this year. We could be the 120th ranked team in the country, and you could have this conversation cause there's always a shot at putting it together ONE time in a year.

+1 It's not the top teams that get upsets, it is the poorer teams. Last year's team had two upsets.

Are you just pissed off because nobody agreed with your analysis of our recruits or are you Pantherhawk. Whatever it is nobody is going to care what you say after reading this childish rant.

I don't think it's PantherHawk. With a name like "Mustang Mountin' Man" that's gotta be a Wisconsinite.

Top Bottom