Bench energy and Gabe’s Contact prescription

GrayShouldPlayReceiver

Reaction score
Zero Bench energy wtf??? It’s almost as if his eyesight is off?? How can you explain his shooting??

Has he grown taller since his freshman year? I've seen that have a negative effect on players.

It has been sad watching Gabe's shooting % drop every year. He might end up under 20% from 3 after today. He seems to lean sideways more on some of his misses but overall it seems mostly to be psychological.

It has been sad watching Gabe's shooting % drop every year. He might end up under 20% from 3 after today. He seems to lean sideways more on some of his misses but overall it seems mostly to be psychological.
I'd like to see him in practice.

I'd like to see him in practice.

That would be interesting. Is his shooting at practice better than game shooting. Pitino mentioned again a couple weeks ago all the time gabe puts in shooting before and after practice. Maybe he should stop practicing shooting? I dont know. Its bizarre.

Maybe the headband. He didn't wear one during his freshman season. :unsure::p

Can someone sneak into a couple of practices and make some observations. Are Freeman and Mitchell really that unprepared for more minutes? Do they try to use Carr in different situations, off ball, weakside, etc? What is keeping Mash from getting 25 mpg? What does Gach do that warrants all his minutes? How much time do they spend with boxing out drills? Do they work on the press and half court trap? Do they have any set plays,? Do they practice hi/low, back screens, outside weave, weakside shuffle cuts, etc. ? How much time does Liam work on posting up down low? Does Ihnen work on his inside game, posting up and drive to the hoop? Is Gabe hitting his 3's? And so on.............................................

Can someone sneak into a couple of practices and make some observations. Are Freeman and Mitchell really that unprepared for more minutes? Do they try to use Carr in different situations, off ball, weakside, etc? What is keeping Mash from getting 25 mpg? What does Gach do that warrants all his minutes? How much time do they spend with boxing out drills? Do they work on the press and half court trap? Do they have any set plays,? Do they practice hi/low, back screens, outside weave, weakside shuffle cuts, etc. ? How much time does Liam work on posting up down low? Does Ihnen work on his inside game, posting up and drive to the hoop? Is Gabe hitting his 3's? And so on.............................................
I do think it would be good to use Carr in an off role--at the very least to reduce his workload a little. There have been situations where the ball moves better when he's not possessing it. There's no reason we can't have different sets and packages depending on how guys are playing and what the defense is taking away. Not saying the Swing Offense is the end-all-be-all, but it puts players in different positions in the course of the game and doesn't let the defense get too locked in on anything.

Not only didn’t score, his one saving grace, defense, was also poor. Perhaps he will miss the bus for the next game. We can’t look any worse.

I've been saying it for months, he is done (Gabe) being a factor offensively

He is still our best defensive perimeter defender and he should start off of that alone, honestly if I was coach I would tell him no 3's until he proves he can go a couple games without shooting them.

He just plain sucks.

Half the bench is considering transferring
Don't say something like this unless you can back it up. How do you know this? You don't have to name names but rumors like this unless having some substantiation are not good.

Don't say something like this unless you can back it up. How do you know this? You don't have to name names but rumors like this unless having some substantiation are not good.
Half may be hyperbole, but if you're not from MN and you're barely playing, why would you stay if you can transfer without penalty? Tre Williams seems like an obvious one. I worry about Mitchell and Ihnen too, though Ihnen's earned his lack of minutes.

These are all very good questions... to me the issue is that when it comes to game time, the Head Coach doesn't use what HE'S learned in practice. Meaning he goes back to doing what he's always done... playing the same guys no matter what through thick and thin!

Gabe should not shoot anymore period. Layups, fine. Nothing else. He is the worst shooting guard in the Big Ten. Yes, he plays good defense. Then play that good defense, move the ball on offense and set picks.
Do not shoot anymore.

Gabe should not shoot anymore period. Layups, fine. Nothing else. He is the worst shooting guard in the Big Ten. Yes, he plays good defense. Then play that good defense, move the ball on offense and set picks.
Do not shoot anymore.

Yeah, it's not comforting to look at shooting percentages from other players around the big ten and then look at ours. Gach is a poor shooter but Gabe is significantly worse than him. May be goofy, but i still want gabe to shoot. Would take this team to another level if he could figure it out.

Yeah, it's not comforting to look at shooting percentages from other players around the big ten and then look at ours. Gach is a poor shooter but Gabe is significantly worse than him. May be goofy, but i still want gabe to shoot. Would take this team to another level if he could figure it out.
If ifs and buts were candy and nuts...

I don't want him shooting anymore unless it is on a drive to the basket. He just cannot even knock down wide open 3 pointers. He defends well, so defend. Make that be your game. That's it.

Problem is our coach is not strong enough with these guys to make that happen. Make no mistake, in an established program, he would not be given the green light.

Hy
If ifs and buts were candy and nuts...

I don't want him shooting anymore unless it is on a drive to the basket. He just cannot even knock down wide open 3 pointers. He defends well, so defend. Make that be your game. That's it.

Problem is our coach is not strong enough with these guys to make that happen. Make no mistake, in an established program, he would not be given the green light.

Cant have gabe's defender sagging into the middle clogging things up everytime gabe touches the ball. Gabe has to be a threat to shoot. Also, how much would gabe give you in other areas if he wasnt allowed to shoot. Maybe u r being hyperbolic, but he would be doing more harm than good in this scenario. Would be better to just bench him.

He has to be in the game and the coach wants him to shoot.

He has to be in the game and the coach wants him to shoot.
And that is a large reason why the teams struggles. Many teams employ a guy that plays defense and just takes his chances when they are there. He's hurting the team every time he shoots flat out.

And that is a large reason why the teams struggles. Many teams employ a guy that plays defense and just takes his chances when they are there. He's hurting the team every time he shoots flat out.
Pretty hard to make a case against your opinion. My only response is Pitino believes in him as a shooter and a complete two way player. When was his last game where he was 3-5 from 3. Thought it was two weeks ago.

Top Bottom