Ben Needs To get a Top 25 Recruit Difference Maker

007gopherfan

Reaction score
Ben has got more depth then ever and now would be the time to get a top 25 recruit difference maker. I know the transfer portal is key too, but Rutgers has 2 top 5s coming next year so far and 3rd inside the top 100. Can't all just be transfer portal every year. Ben has to use his team all potentially coming back next year and bring in some top recruits. I know landed 2 from MN so far, but I think still needs more. Like to find a Center to allow Payne to play the 4. Ben needs to sell the national difference maker that turns this program around will make a lot of NIL nationally. Just look at Caitlin Clark with Iowa women's ball.

https://www.espn.com/college-sports/basketball/recruiting/playerrankings

Lot of Big 10 in next year top 100 except the Gophers.

Rutgers - 3
Mich St - 3
Purdue - 2
Iowa - 1
Michigan - 1
Indiana - 1
Illinois - 1
Ohio St - 1

Still some unsigned so could be more. Just saying if he could land a top recruit difference maker even if one and done next year to complete this team would be a huge win for him.

https://www.espn.com/college-sports/basketball/recruiting/playerrankings

Lot of Big 10 in next year top 100 except the Gophers.

Rutgers - 3
Mich St - 3
Purdue - 2
Iowa - 1
Michigan - 1
Indiana - 1
Illinois - 1
Ohio St - 1

Still some unsigned so could be more. Just saying if he could land a top recruit difference maker even if one and done next year to complete this team would be a huge win for him.
Wouldn't it be better just to get a top 5 recruit? Or even Caitlin Clark to transfer?

He has a good point. I was thinking along the same lines...but it can be a transfer...I don't care who it is. But yes, we're about 1 player away from possibly being really good next year. If everyone returns.

A Vincent Greer type would be nice. Or even another Garcia or Hawkins.

Wow is this an incompetent post

1. You act like top 25 players just grow on trees instead of their only being....25.
2. You act like they are all still readily available
3. You act like all Ben needs to do is want them, and they will magically go to a team with 9 BIG10 wins in almost 2.5 years of BIG10 play
4. You factually do not at any time have to recruit a top 25 player for that coming seasons roster to be good. Hell, you do not even need a top 25 player from any class on a roster at anytime.
5. You act like top 25 recuit will just instantly be ready to go, see Evans Dennis.

Lucky for you, I do not charge for lessons in basketball 101

I'm tempted to say that MN did have a top-25 recruit. his name was Dennis Evans, and he lasted at MN for about 5 minutes before another school poached him with an NIL offer.

and that is the issue facing a school like MN.

the big-time recruits want a program that wins. MN doesn't win - at least not for the last 26 seasons.

If you want to attract a top-25 recruit to a program that doesn't win, you had better have a truck-load of NIL $$ - and MN doesn't have anywhere near that type of NIL support.

so how do you sell a top-25 recruit on a program that doesn't win and doesn't have NIL money? you would have to be the greatest salesperson in the world - and sorry, but I don't think Ben Johnson falls into that category.

Cam Christie was a top-100 recruit. that is actually a good get for a program in MN's situation. If MN could land 1 or 2 more recruits of that level, they could have a nucleus for a competitive team.

Gophers are not good and BJ has not been a good coach. How many top 25 recruits has MN even gotten in the past 40 years anyway?

Wow is this an incompetent post

1. You act like top 25 players just grow on trees instead of their only being....25.
2. You act like they are all still readily available
3. You act like all Ben needs to do is want them, and they will magically go to a team with 9 BIG10 wins in almost 2.5 years of BIG10 play
4. You factually do not at any time have to recruit a top 25 player for that coming seasons roster to be good. Hell, you do not even need a top 25 player from any class on a roster at anytime.
5. You act like top 25 recruit will just instantly be ready to go, see Evans Dennis.

Lucky for you, I do not charge for lessons in basketball 101
The recruiting world has changed, obviously. The portal actually can be a godsend for the U. Kids with top 25 type talent that want a change, want to be the alpha could appeal to them as it has with Dawson. Kids that believe they have NBA level talent but won't be able to achieve it at their current school. It would be a matter of coming up with enough NIL money, not 7 figures, to entice them because they have their eye on that big NBA prize.

Look at all the time and effort that went into recruiting Dennis Evans and then the U let's him out of his signed "commitment". Even if they had not let him out, there were too many eggs in that basket as his basketball career has nose dived due to his medical condition. In today's world their needs to be a blend, and enough available scholarships and NIL money left over to bring a couple of kids from the portal.

Christy is good but at this point doesn’t appear to be a difference maker. Maybe he is that guy down the road though. I’m more concerned with wasted scholarships on guys like Wilson, Ihnen, Fox, and Betts. We’re supposed to be deep this year and we have these guys sucking up space on the bench.

Christy is good but at this point doesn’t appear to be a difference maker. Maybe he is that guy down the road though. I’m more concerned with wasted scholarships on guys like Wilson, Ihnen, Fox, and Betts. We’re supposed to be deep this year and we have these guys sucking up space on the bench.
Betts is an 18 year old freshman...so I think we need a little patience there. It would have been heartless and not very good for the program if two quality people like Fox and Ihnen had gotten cut off after injuries like they have dealt with. Wilson, that one is an issue perhaps. Most teams don't have 10 guys a coach would trust. If we keep our guys, I think we will be there next year.

Betts is an 18 year old freshman...so I think we need a little patience there. It would have been heartless and not very good for the program if two quality people like Fox and Ihnen had gotten cut off after injuries like they have dealt with. Wilson, that one is an issue perhaps. Most teams don't have 10 guys a coach would trust. If we keep our guys, I think we will be there next year.
Betts has had a redshirt season and is still getting zero minutes in anything other than blowout wins. At best he appears to be a giant project that may end up average at best but for now we need someone that can play not 4 year projects. Fox is proving to be undersized. Ihnen is about as useless as it gets despite Ben saying he was the best player on the team. I see absolutely nothing in Ihnen.

I wouldn't say Betts is a waste quite yet. If he doesn't see the floor next year, perhaps.

The only way to get the very top players is to be in the very top of NIL. Sure Ben and PJ and the other coaches can certainly influence that, but it really falls on the AD to make NIL happen, and I don't think Coyle is up to the task.

I wouldn't say Betts is a waste quite yet. If he doesn't see the floor next year, perhaps.
He’s getting zero minutes despite others being in foul trouble. We needed someone that can play now not a project.

Mn will always have a couple longer term development guys.
We’ll be waiting a long time for him to prove me wrong. What can we expect next year from him? About 5 minutes a game? In year 3 I’d expect better but based on what he’s doing this year that probably isn’t happening.

I think we should only sign ten players who can play at an extremely high level. While this will likely cause playing time dissension, and 7 of them will leave the next year, all we have to do is sign 7 out of the next 25 top players. As anyone can see a freshmen/sophomore laden roster is far better than a junior/senior one. Btw, any coach who would throw Ihnen and Fox under the bus after the rehab they went through, and stuck with the program, isn’t anyone I want coaching here!

We’ll be waiting a long time for him to prove me wrong. What can we expect next year from him? About 5 minutes a game? In year 3 I’d expect better but based on what he’s doing this year that probably isn’t happening.
Hes very young, arrived at 17. I am hoping he plays more next year, because experience on the court is vital to developing, imo.

Ben has got more depth then ever and now would be the time to get a top 25 recruit difference maker. I know the transfer portal is key too, but Rutgers has 2 top 5s coming next year so far and 3rd inside the top 100. Can't all just be transfer portal every year. Ben has to use his team all potentially coming back next year and bring in some top recruits. I know landed 2 from MN so far, but I think still needs more. Like to find a Center to allow Payne to play the 4. Ben needs to sell the national difference maker that turns this program around will make a lot of NIL nationally. Just look at Caitlin Clark with Iowa women's ball.
Now why didn’t been think of that 🤪?

Asuma is going to be the real deal.

for the purposes of this discussion - 247 Sports has Asuma ranked #121 nationally.

I agree that he has talent, and can be a good player. but that just points out the difference between a top-25 player and the level of player that MN has actually been able to attract.

for the people saying MN needs more talent - I agree. but how does a program like MN bring in that talent? you either have to buy it, or have some other sales pitch. MN can't promise winning a conf title - or going to the Final 4, or playing in all the big-time TV games. So what does MN offer to bring in all of this great talent?

Top Bottom