Ben Johnson to complete Gophers staff with Richmond assistant Marcus Jenkins

NBA connections do matter, if it makes your case more credible that you can help a player get into the NBA. Take for instance Anfernee Hardaway who went from being a HS coach to coaching Memphis and pulls in the number one recruiting class in the nation, all he had to sell was NBA.
Rumors, but I saw plenty of speculation that wasn't all that Memphis was offering.

Ummmm. I was told over and over again that after May 1st, Jaime McNeilly would be his assistant and bringing along the start of a 4 star canadian pipeline? WTH?

Yeah, there were a few posters who were riding the "look what BJ is bringing in with a stud SEC player blah blah blah" on those of us who were questioning why it was taking so long to complete the staff.

It would be shocking if this was on the Us administration rather than McNeilly not being 100% soldn on coming here. For those who dont like that idea, Nunness did the same thing and he's from MN.

But all that is done now, we have a full staff. Let's see how they complete the roster.

My guess is, we land one Power 5 transfer, the rest will be same as what we've been landing, Fox excluded.

You wanna know why Gonzaga is Gonzaga..they win all the time. Yes they may not have great results in the NCAA tournament, but they are always top seed in the torunamnt. Plus Mark Few has been there for 22 bleeping years. They are an outlier not an example.
If that’s the case, sign me up for Gophers “not have great results in the NCAA tournament” (bogus) rap that Gonzaga has. Zags had more tourney wins this past season (5) than Gophers have had in their last 24 seasons (2).

Since 1999-2000 season, only 6 programs have more NCAA tourney wins than the Zags’ 36:

Kansas 51
Duke 51
North Carolina 50
Michigan State 47
Kentucky 45
Florida 39

Gonzaga should be ashamed of itself. 😟

If that’s the case, sign me up for Gophers “not have great results in the NCAA tournament” (bogus) rap that Gonzaga has. Zags had more tourney wins this past season (5) than Gophers have had in their last 24 seasons (2).

Since 1999-2000 season, only 6 programs have more NCAA tourney wins than the Zags’ 36:

Kansas 51
Duke 51
North Carolina 50
Michigan State 47
Kentucky 45
Florida 39

Gonzaga should be ashamed of itself. 😟
I agree they have been great, but they have also failed to achieve a few times when they have been the top seed.

Yeah, there were a few posters who were riding the "look what BJ is bringing in with a stud SEC player blah blah blah" on those of us who were questioning why it was taking so long to complete the staff.

It would be shocking if this was on the Us administration rather than McNeilly not being 100% soldn on coming here. For those who dont like that idea, Nunness did the same thing and he's from MN.

But all that is done now, we have a full staff. Let's see how they complete the roster.

My guess is, we land one Power 5 transfer, the rest will be same as what we've been landing, Fox excluded.
Yeah, looks like next years team has less talent than this years squad.

So we have assistants from Colorado State, William & Mary, and Richmond. The great thing about these hires (including Ben being head coach) is that none of them are pampered by living in a blue blood bubble (ie Richard Pitino). They all have had to scratch and claw and outwork others to keep coaching as a career.
Frankly, I think that's what this program needs. It needs coaches and players who will simply outwork their opponents in every aspect of the game. My hope is that this group of coaches will be that driven to succeed.

So we have assistants from Colorado State, William & Mary, and Richmond. The great thing about these hires (including Ben being head coach) is that none of them are pampered by living in a blue blood bubble (ie Richard Pitino). They all have had to scratch and claw and outwork others to keep coaching as a career.
Frankly, I think that's what this program needs. It needs coaches and players who will simply outwork their opponents in every aspect of the game. My hope is that this group of coaches will be that driven to succeed.
Is this your idea of gritty?🤔

This is one of the most insane things I’ve ever read on Gopherhole. Maybe go hire a bunch of D3 coaches who work multiple jobs to make ends meet. Think about their scratching. And clawing. They have a bunch of coaches who were unable to win at higher levels. Thorson and Johnson were former gopher failures. Johnson went to a flailing Xavier (record got worse every year he was there IIRC). I know a ton of unsuccessful high school and college coaches. Let’s hire them! They are so hungry (literally, they need food) and will outwork opponents. They’ll lose a ton but man will they claw.

This is one of the most insane things I’ve ever read on Gopherhole. Maybe go hire a bunch of D3 coaches who work multiple jobs to make ends meet. Think about their scratching. And clawing. They have a bunch of coaches who were unable to win at higher levels. Thorson and Johnson were former gopher failures. Johnson went to a flailing Xavier (record got worse every year he was there IIRC). I know a ton of unsuccessful high school and college coaches. Let’s hire them! They are so hungry (literally, they need food) and will outwork opponents. They’ll lose a ton but man will they claw.

Only one star recruits from now on! They will claw and grind the Barn Floor back to it's original paint!

Last edited:

Lol. I apologized for derailing threads; Not for what I said. This hire is shit. It hasfurther fractured a dying fan base. Gopher hole is not the entire gopher fan base but its still representative to some degree.
I’m not renewing my season tickets because of this hire. I was on the fence before they hired Johnson, now I’m done. I’m not alone. Do you know anyone buying season tickets because of the hire? I talked to an associated AD today at length about my lack of donations. I explained why. He was adamant that I was wrong and once I laid out a few facts and figures he said “well, you need to have faith in the process” and I said “give me one reason to have faith in Ben Johnson” and he said “just give it time” so there you go.

Lol. I apologized for derailing threads; Not for what I said. This hire is shit. It hasfurther fractured a dying fan base. Gopher hole is not the entire gopher fan base but its still representative to some degree.
I’m not renewing my season tickets because of this hire. I was on the fence before they hired Johnson, now I’m done. I’m not alone. Do you know anyone buying season tickets because of the hire? I talked to an associated AD today at length about my lack of donations. I explained why. He was adamant that I was wrong and once I laid out a few facts and figures he said “well, you need to have faith in the process” and I said “give me one reason to have faith in Ben Johnson” and he said “just give it time” so there you go.
(Continues to derail threads)

YOUR ENTITLED TO YOUR WAY OF SEEING THINGS. I am thrilled at the new coaching staff. We will be a better coached team than we have been.

YOUR ENTITLED TO YOUR WAY OF SEEING THINGS. I am thrilled at the new coaching staff. We will be a better coached team than we have been.
Agreed. The sad thing is being better than bottom of the conference is not a high bar to clear. Do you think this is a top 10 coaching staff in the conference? Top 7? Be honest with what needs to happen here to win.

I see it as an upgrade for sure. Time will tell as it would with anyone we'd hire if it'll be a Matt Painter/Chris Holtmann hire or a Fran McCaffery hire. Either way, I do believe it will be better than our previous staff.

Lol the "just give it time" answer really just says to not re up and wait it out... lol man

Lol the "just give it time" answer really just says to not re up and wait it out... lol man
I said I was on the fence. I live 35 minutes from Williams arena now. I use to live 15. I have a 1 year old. I use to have no kids. An uninspiring (to me) hire pushed me to not renew. I am sorry that bothers you. I had tickets for 5 years. Love going to games. Fortunately, or maybe unfortunately, tickets are very easy to come by for all but a few games. If I want season tickets in a year or two they’ll be available I’m sure.

I said I was on the fence. I live 35 minutes from Williams arena now. I use to live 15. I have a 1 year old. I use to have no kids. An uninspiring (to me) hire pushed me to not renew. I am sorry that bothers you. I had tickets for 5 years. Love going to games. Fortunately, or maybe unfortunately, tickets are very easy to come by for all but a few games. If I want season tickets in a year or two they’ll be available I’m sure.
I actually support your decision and was ripping the assistant ADs answer. Sorry if it wasn’t written in that manor.

Totally derailed the thread by giving his reaction to the coaching staff.

Lets get back to the point of this thread, JB, could you continue telling us your opinion of the coaching staff?
I think it's a pretty solid staff. What are your thoughts Lawyer Bob?

😅😂🤣🤣🤣
You act like these coaches know nothing about winning.
You can leave, but I am going to stick around and see what these coaches do. We just endured 8 years of a pampered kid trying to recruit as though he were at Louisville or Florida, with no clue about recruiting for a program like UMN. How did that turn out? We got a former Kentucky head coach...how did that turn out?
We have coaches who understand how to work and build with less. I am ready to see what they can do. Honestly...they can't do any worse, but they can do better than the previous two regimes.

Is this your idea of gritty?🤔
Ha this was my exact thought too. So you're saying you don't think he's good so everyone defaults to "well he works harder" I mean maybe he will but because you aren't as good doesn't mean you work as hard. Going to guess Kobe outworked Smush Parker. Seems the trend we are working with now "Sure he's not talented but we are sure he will work hard!" I dont disagree that Pitino didn't know how to recruit this job, but saying we are better off with less talented kids because that will mean they try harder is also wrong

Top Bottom