Ben Johnson says the bench will see more minutes

Any possibilities of nerves? Get them in when you can and build confidence.

Well, OK, but it looks like there is a lot of building to do there and confidence doesn't appear to be the only deficiency with some of them.

Well, OK, but it looks like there is a lot of building to do there and confidence doesn't appear to be the only deficiency with some of them.
I know a lot of coaches that subscribe to the idea that you have to show me in practice that you can handle the various things that come up in a game. If you have trouble with defensive concepts or offensive sets, adjustments, pressure, ect. in practice, you'll likely have those same problems in a game. If I don't know if you can handle it, I'm hesitant to get you in, except for a very garbage minute or so at the end. The idea being, that if you can be competitive, consistent and reflexively do the things we teach you in practice against Curry, Battle, and Willis, then we can be fairly confident you can handle game conditions. If not, then we can't.

The idea is to get your bench in a game and put them in a position to do well. If you're just putting them in the game to get them in the game, and not confident it will be positive minutes, you wait and work with them more in practice so that when they finally do get minutes, they'll know how to handle it. The absolute last thing you want to do is put a guy you're eventually want to count on into a game and have it be a blow to their confidence. Different coaches have different philosophies about that, but in my experience, the more successful coaches have much higher standards about what needs to be done before you see meaningful game time.

In terms of Thompson, he has a long ways to go and I think we all knew that he may end up being a guy that isn't going to be ready to significantly contribute until sometime next year and maybe not until his junior season. Seems that right now his main strengths are being 6'11", fairly mobile and able to hit a 3. Knowing that big guys take longer, there is still plenty of practice time this season to pick things up and improve.

I actually think Thiam could earn more time as the season progresses. Seems like his main thing might just be dealing with the speed of the game at this level. He's trying to make a pretty big jump in competition. So if Fox for that matter. It will be interesting to see what he decides to do, when he's ready to come back in Jan. or Feb.

After watching the bench come in against TAM-CC, I can see why we only play 7. Not a good showing. They are far from ready to give solid minutes.
Felt the same. Still think there’s a lot of potential in Thiam and Thompson, but if they had gotten a lot of minutes early, I don’t think we’re 9-1

I am hoping to see Thompson do something similar to what Crowl is doing for WI. Not really much FR year and showing promise and development as well as results in the court SO year.

I hope so as well. Crowl has a better skill set better with his back to the basket. Both need strength big time.

Any possibilities of nerves? Get them in when you can and build confidence.
It is lack of experience. There was nothing to be nervous about last night. The starters gave them a 20 point cushion. What was obvious is that past 7 people we have kids who are raw and need as many hours of practice as they can get before playing.
It reminds me of watching my kids play in the school band. Those early concerts were just awful. Practice, however, made the band better and better. Our young guys need practice, practice, practice.

It is lack of experience. There was nothing to be nervous about last night. The starters gave them a 20 point cushion. What was obvious is that past 7 people we have kids who are raw and need as many hours of practice as they can get before playing.
It reminds me of watching my kids play in the school band. Those early concerts were just awful. Practice, however, made the band better and better. Our young guys need practice, practice, practice.
Sure there was. First time in a D1 b-ball game? For some of "us" being nervous is a good thing we become focused and zero in. Others? We become jittery, the game plays hyper fast and we start to make errors.

Positive experience helps with all of that. Obviously, it builds confidence.

Don't disagree. Remember my 1st game I was extremely nervous, the coach had a sub all set for me, then I made a couple of good plays...had to sit wondering if I'd get any more playing time. His attitude was practice relieves nerves. 2nd game I was still nervous but able to perform well enough to get playing time the rest of the season. For me I needed, besides practice, was game time. The more playing time the better player I became. No I wasn't even a 3 star player.

Sure there was. First time in a D1 b-ball game? For some of "us" being nervous is a good thing we become focused and zero in. Others? We become jittery, the game plays hyper fast and we start to make errors.

Positive experience helps with all of that. Obviously, it builds confidence.
Who was in there as first time? Certainly not Thiam nor Thompson.

Who was in there as first time? Certainly not Thiam nor Thompson.
Both are Freshmen? I was under the impression that they haven't seen significant minutes in non garbage time. Is that right? I don't know if it is or isn't. I just assumed that it was, because I haven't seen or heard much about them.

With that said, all of the first 7 in except Battle are upper classmen. Seasoned veterans wanting to make the most of this shot.

Both are Freshmen? I was under the impression that they haven't seen significant minutes in non garbage time. Is that right? I don't know if it is or isn't. I just assumed that it was, because I haven't seen or heard much about them.

With that said, all of the first 7 in except Battle are upper classmen. Seasoned veterans wanting to make the most of this shot.
Thiam has has 2 minute spurts where he essentially is a fouth line hockey defenseman giving a break to the starter to get some air. Thompson to a lesser extent saw time before the two B1G games. It is unfortunate there is no jv squad for these kids.

I am hopeful Thiam can follow Ihnen's freshman year track and come on the last 10 games or so.

Thiam has has 2 minute spurts where he essentially is a fouth line hockey defenseman giving a break to the starter to get some air. Thompson to a lesser extent saw time before the two B1G games. It is unfortunate there is no jv squad for these kids.
Fair enough. In retrospect, it seemed like the whole team struggled including the two players mentioned. Either way, experience should help.

Practice is essentially that… a chance for the young guys to get experience against the starters!

A think the 8th-9th players need to be sprinkled in a bit. Thompson may look a bit different with 4 starters still on the floor. Also TAMCC was a bit undersized and scrappy causing some of the issues.

A think the 8th-9th players need to be sprinkled in a bit. Thompson may look a bit different with 4 starters still on the floor. Also TAMCC was a bit undersized and scrappy causing some of the issues.

I would agree with that. It doesn't do much good to place 3 or 4 players with significant deficiencies all on the court at the same time.

In terms of Thompson, he has a long ways to go and I think we all knew that he may end up being a guy that isn't going to be ready to significantly contribute until sometime next year and maybe not until his junior season. Seems that right now his main strengths are being 6'11", fairly mobile and able to hit a 3. Knowing that big guys take longer, there is still plenty of practice time this season to pick things up and improve.

If the more pessimistic alternative becomes the more likely one, then I'm not sure why you would want a keep a guy on the team who couldn't make a meaningful contribution until his junior year.

The rules are different now. Players have the ability to transfer with immediate eligibility at least once in their careers. Obviously that translates into more freedom for good players to transfer up and for lesser players to transfer down. Under these rules, we may not have been able to keep a Nate Mason or Jordan Murphy after that dreadful 8-23 season. On the flip side, we may not have felt the burden of carrying certain non-producing players through a four year term either.

Last edited:

I would agree with that. It doesn't do much good to place 3 or 4 players with significant deficiencies all on the court at the same time.
Also hard to improve a ton in practice with this roster. Curry is a grandpa in playing years and is the only guy that might help Thompson with game action practice. Not sure how much that is happening. Need more talented big's in program to enhance practices. How much game situation, practice situations are the bench guys getting, now in season.

Last edited:

In TT's first half minutes- the other 4 guys he played with were starters. Which is smart.

If the more pessimistic alternative becomes the more likely one, then I'm not sure why you would want a keep a guy on the team who couldn't make a meaningful contribution until his junior year.

The rules are different now. Players have the ability to transfer with immediate eligibility at least once in their careers. Obviously that translates into more freedom for good players to transfer up and for lesser players to transfer down. Under these rules, we may not have been able to keep a Nate Mason or Jordan Murphy after that dreadful 8-23 season. On the flip side, we may not have felt the burden of carrying certain non-producing players through a four year term either.
With Mason and Murphy they were both starting by the end of their freshman years, think Murph broke into starting five by conference play, in theory they could have, but they also had starting gigs in the Big Ten and plus they went up against Reggie everyday in practice and knew Amir was coming. That was such a weird year, it sucked, but in the back of my mind I knew the Calvary was coming and that 16-17 would be better, which made it more bearable. Grant it I didn't think they'd do as well as they did the next year I'll admit that, but thought it be a Tourney team. Also, going off memory, but I think Murphy was pretty close to transferring out after the Sex tape scandal.

In TT's first half minutes- the other 4 guys he played with were starters. Which is smart.
I thought he did fine in his first rotation. Curry was talking him through the defense progressions, especially when they went Zone. Bench really wanted him to make that three, Parker was ready to go bonkers. At the start of the second half, I think Purple lambo came on and Thiam, Daniels, Ogele and Thompson were all wrapping to it on the bench together, they were having a good time. You could tell other three were hiving Treyton some grief, but I'm guessing it was all in good fun

I thought another bench player was in at the same time, but I could be wrong. TT is pretty raw, but could have a bright future with more big's in the program.

Don't disagree. Remember my 1st game I was extremely nervous, the coach had a sub all set for me, then I made a couple of good plays...had to sit wondering if I'd get any more playing time. His attitude was practice relieves nerves. 2nd game I was still nervous but able to perform well enough to get playing time the rest of the season. For me I needed, besides practice, was game time. The more playing time the better player I became.

With Mason and Murphy they were both starting by the end of their freshman years, think Murph broke into starting five by conference play, in theory they could have, but they also had starting gigs in the Big Ten

The history lesson about that season is unnecessary and irrelevant.

If they transferred then, they very likely would have had to sit out a year. That handicap would have made transferring more unappealing for them AND would have made them less appealing candidates for good programs. Transfers aren't limited to those who aren't getting enough minutes at their current programs. Go look through the portal last season and see how many starters transferred to other places. In fact, our team had its top 7 players in minutes played per game transfer. Penn State wasn't quite as bad but they lost 4 of their top 8 players in minutes per game including their top two scorers through transfer. Those two teams had coaching changes but Georgia did not and their top 8 players in terms of minutes per game transferred.

As it turned out, the NCAA threw up its hands in 2021 and let any transfer go. It should be more restricted going forward but still considerably less restricted than it was prior to 2021. It's not going to be as easy to hang on to players as it used to be.

Top Bottom