Ben Davis Commits

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

per Greder:

At 6-foot-4, 275 pounds, Davis is from Elk Grove, Calif., and played for American River College in Sacramento, Calif.
The Gophers had one offensive lineman return from injury in order to give them a full unit able to scrimmage Saturday — Donnell Greene, Bronson Dovich, Conner Olson, Quinn Oseland and Nick Connelly.

Minnesota also has three possible starters out with injuries for spring practices — Vincent Calhoun, Jared Weyler and Garrison Wright. All three were key contributors in 2016.

http://www.twincities.com/2017/04/0...itment-from-junior-college-offensive-lineman/

Go Gophers!!

per Joe:

While the Gophers football team continues to rank in the Top 15 nationally with its 2018 recruiting class, coach P.J. Fleck went back and added bulk to his 2017 class this weekend.

Ben Davis, a 6-4, 275-pound offensive tackle form American River College in Sacramento, Calif., signed with the Gophers. He’ll enroll this summer and be eligible this fall, with four years to play three at Minnesota.

Fleck has said he prefers not to sign junior college players, but the Gophers are staring at a serious depth issue on the offensive line for this fall. Davis can help address that.

The Gophers have been down to five or four offensive linemen for every practice this spring. They have three returning starters recovering from surgery – Jared Weyler, Vincent Calhoun and Garrison Wright. Two others who started last season, Tyler Moore and Connor Mayes, have transferred to other schools.

Davis is in a similar position to Donnell Greene, who came to the Gophers last summer from Coffeyville (Kan.) Community College. Greene played in 13 games for the Gophers last year, starting eight and has been the only healthy returning starter on the line this spring.

http://www.startribune.com/gophers-add-o-lineman-ben-davis-to-2017-recruiting-class/418759474/

Go Gophers!!

I would not be surprised if the Ciarrocca/Smith system will be exciting to watch. Another thing. I get the impression that PJF wants more players to be a part of the game.

I am happy for players like Melvin Holland, Rashad Still, etc... that are finally getting the right kind of coaching. You don't want too many kids to sit in the sidelines their entire career when they can contribute. These guys will be utilized and developed to wherever their potential takes them.
How do we know this? Your opinion may turn out to be accurate, but you speak as though it's a fact. Do you know something that others don't know?

Sent from my SM-G386T using Tapatalk

How do we know this? Your opinion may turn out to be accurate, but you speak as though it's a fact. Do you know something that others don't know?

I know Simon is a better WR coach than Anderson, the other we shall see.

Does anyone really believe that our OL coach will even be at the U next year(2018) or the year after? Remember when he left ND, he was looking for a head job. Instead he ended up at Ohio State. Perhaps this explains why we haven't offered his son -can't think of any other reason. According to BTN, his son visited Iowa this past weekend. Can never have to many MLB.

I think a couple much more likely reasons are a.) they know father and son don't want to be on the same team. b.) they know he will commit given the offer so let the other fish chase the bait. c.) Fleck doesn't think he warrants an offer at this point. He is visiting Iowa, but doesn't show an offer from them. Outside of MSU and Cinci who have a tie to the family, he doesn't have many other great offers. Fleck may still be evaluating.

Thanksbtowngopher - You have a couple of good points. I guess I was thinking that if the son does come here, we would have the same OL - who seems to be an excellent coach/recruiter - for a couple more years. Continuity at that position would certainly be a positive.

WMU played an exciting brand of football last season under PF Fleck. If he can replicate his success at WMU with the current players, with the kind of recruits he has now, and the Gophers football coaches that he has assembled - we may be looking at an entertaining Gopher Football to watch in the next few years.

http://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2016/11/19/13577022/pj-fleck-coach-western-michigan-wmu

per Yahoo:

He added that he’ll come to Minnesota with “not a chip, a crack” on his shoulder, echoing a phrase PJ Fleck has repeated before.

Davis tells TGR that he “fell in love” with Minnesota on his visit.

“I arrived Friday afternoon. I was met by Coach Schaekel and he did a great job of showing me around. It was unbelievable; the weekend was unbelievable. We went to the Mall of America first. Came back, went to my hotel room and went to dinner with the coaching staff. I met Coach Fleck as well on Friday. On Saturday, I went to the scrimmage and got to tour the whole TCF Bank Stadium which was elite. I got to try on all the jerseys. The whole weekend was an elite experience.”

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/davis-explains-apos-elite-experience-024121573.html

Go Gophers!!

WMU played an exciting brand of football last season under PF Fleck. If he can replicate his success at WMU with the current players, with the kind of recruits he has now, and the Gophers football coaches that he has assembled - we may be looking at an entertaining Gopher Football to watch in the next few years.

http://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2016/11/19/13577022/pj-fleck-coach-western-michigan-wmu
Perhaps, but they lost by a similar score to Wisconsin.
What was exciting in the MAC may not transfer to excitement in the B1G.
I recall Jerry Kill coming in and wanting to get quick linesmen to open gaps in the OL. It didn't take more than a season for him to switch and look for plow boys to deal with the D-lines being provided by the rest of the B1G.
It will be interesting to see what works and what doesn't work with PJF in the B1G. Will he be changing strategies after a full season of battles in the B1G or will his plan work?
Both Kill, in football, and Pitino, in basketball, had to change their strategy to meet the challenges of the B1G conference.

Yeah, and you have two weeks worth of spring practice articles to prove it!!!!!!

Or putting players in the NFL and actual players saying it. But who cares what the players think right?

Or putting players in the NFL and actual players saying it. But who cares what the players think right?

Brian Anderson put players in the NFL too. And you think players currently on the roster are going to say that Brian Anderson is better than Matt Simon? Are you dense?

Perhaps, but they lost by a similar score to Wisconsin.
What was exciting in the MAC may not transfer to excitement in the B1G.
I recall Jerry Kill coming in and wanting to get quick linesmen to open gaps in the OL. It didn't take more than a season for him to switch and look for plow boys to deal with the D-lines being provided by the rest of the B1G.
It will be interesting to see what works and what doesn't work with PJF in the B1G. Will he be changing strategies after a full season of battles in the B1G or will his plan work?
Both Kill, in football, and Pitino, in basketball, had to change their strategy to meet the challenges of the B1G conference.

That is true, I actually thought Kill had a fun exciting offense at NIU when they came into TCF.

You're right, players talking up their current coach. . . MORE PROOF!!! Indisputable fact!!!!

For example, look what Coach Z did with Chandler Harnish and Jordan Lynch at Northern Illinois, that AUTOMATICALLY translated to success at the Big 10. It's PROOF!!!

Way to go Johnnyboy!

He doesn't have to succeed very much to be a better WR coach than Anderson :)

You're right, players talking up their current coach. . . MORE PROOF!!! Indisputable fact!!!!

For example, look what Coach Z did with Chandler Harnish and Jordan Lynch at Northern Illinois, that AUTOMATICALLY translated to success at the Big 10. It's PROOF!!!

Way to go Johnnyboy!

Anyone know where I can find out about Ben Davis? I got re-directed to a girl-fight thread by mistake

He doesn't have to succeed very much to be a better WR coach than Anderson :)

Good point, even though it has absolutely nothing to do with our current conversation.

I assume you think Coach Z is a better QC coach than our current one? He put Harnish and Lynch in the NFL. I think his players said some nice things about him too. PROOF!! FACT!!!

Keep digging Johnnyboy :)

Good point, even though it has absolutely nothing to do with our current conversation.

I assume you think Coach Z is a better QC coach than our current one? He put Harnish and Lynch in the NFL. I think his players said some nice things about him too. PROOF!! FACT!!!

He put Joe Flacco in the NFL he's the definition of #ELITE

Anyone know where I can find out about Ben Davis? I got re-directed to a girl-fight thread by mistake

He plays offensive line, has four years to play three. Hopefully he can provide depth to a unit that will barely go three deep in scholarship players, that's all I got

How many attempts did Lynch have while Z was his coach? What position did Lynch play in the NFL? Who recruited Harnish? Why is Brian Anderson still unemployed?

If you listen to the last Gopher Hole and Gopher Gridiron podcasts, they both discuss the obvious improvements that several of the WR's are making by way of the coaching. In other words, it is common knowledge from the people who have been able to watch the practices.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom