Ben Carlson enters the transfer portal

Do we have enough Ben's on the roster, or do we want another? I honestly don't know anything other than high school rating and not a lot of playing time this year. If healthy would he have been a major player for them? I imagine its obviously hard to know without knowing what's going on behind the scenes.

Do we have enough Ben's on the roster, or do we want another? I honestly don't know anything other than high school rating and not a lot of playing time this year. If healthy would he have been a major player for them? I imagine its obviously hard to know without knowing what's going on behind the scenes.
He would not have started at UW next year without some kind of major, MAJOR, jump. He would have been the first man off their bench as their roster currently sits as the backup center/forward. Their roster will change quite a bit based on 2 transfers and 2 graduations and 1 NBA entrants.

He would not have started at UW next year without some kind of major, MAJOR, jump. He would have been the first man off their bench as their roster currently sits as the backup center/forward. Their roster will change quite a bit based on 2 transfers and 2 graduations and 1 NBA entrants.
Thanks. Is he someone the Gophers go after pretty hard? Maybe overrated out of high school? Maybe just wrong system for him?

Thanks. Is he someone the Gophers go after pretty hard? Maybe overrated out of high school? Maybe just wrong system for him?
Ben has talent. He probably set himself back a yearish when he was hurt his freshman year and he was still working his way back into playing at this level this year. He seemed to be a solid rebounder for them in his limited role, but shooting still hampered him. I think UW wants their forwards to be able to hit more 3's and Ben hasn't shown he can do that and stretch out defenses. Neither can Wahl but he seems solid in the post and may not have needed to this year.

This is simply a guess, but his top 3 are likely the U, ISU, and St. Thomas. I hope he lands somewhere that can use him. He seems like a good young man.

Ben has talent. He probably set himself back a yearish when he was hurt his freshman year and he was still working his way back into playing at this level this year. He seemed to be a solid rebounder for them in his limited role, but shooting still hampered him. I think UW wants their forwards to be able to hit more 3's and Ben hasn't shown he can do that and stretch out defenses. Neither can Wahl but he seems solid in the post and may not have needed to this year.

This is simply a guess, but his top 3 are likely the U, ISU, and St. Thomas. I hope he lands somewhere that can use him. He seems like a good young man.
St. Thomas is interesting. Simply due to the level and the newness to D1. Of course I know nothing about them. I hope he gets what's best too. Good to hear, thanks for the replies.

St. Thomas is interesting. Simply due to the level and the newness to D1. Of course I know nothing about them. I hope he gets what's best too. Good to hear, thanks for the replies.
St Thomas would reunite him with 2 East Ridge teammates. Interesting.

He was a better rebounder as a soph than a freshman but his soph rebound percentage was 12.7 (a little worse than Ihnen's soph rebound percentage). Carlson's freshman total rebound percentage was a miserable 5.5. Treyton Thompson's freshman rebound percentage was 8.6 and he was considered pretty bad at it for his size.

And, yes, his two-year career True Shooting Percentage of .414 is pretty awful. Ihnen who was often maligned for shooting and missing so many threes had a two year career True Shooting Percentage of .49.

Carlson is at best a Summit league level player. Maybe that's even too generous.

I don't think he could even play in the tourney ever at St.Thomas

Go hard after him, Ben. We could use him.

Absolutely! If Charlie Daniels is still in the mix for minutes it will be another 13-14th place finish. Grab Carlson if available

Top Bottom