Been a Gopher.....

I never said we have no chance to be successful under Tubby. I said you cannot extend him based on his performance. So, what are the options in your opinion?

minngg said:
I never said we have no chance to be successful under Tubby. I said you cannot extend him based on his performance. So, what are the options in your opinion?
Why do you keep contradicting yourself!! Go back and read all your comments over the last few weeks.

Extend him with a lower base salary, start work on the practice facility, and if Tubby doesn't improve once the facility is finished look for a new coach. I would NOT try to hire someone without the practice facility in place.

This has been a roller coaster of a season. When Mbakwe went down, I certainly wasn't too optimistic for the remainder of the season. However, I truly do feel as if the players and coaches have risen to the occasion. Sure, they lost games they shouldn't have, but they have also won games that they probably weren't expected to. Inconsistent, but what do you expect when your best player goes down? With all of that said, each loss is extremely frustrating, but I am impressed with the Gopher's ability to continue to battle.

I refuse to write this season off yet. Optimism for the Gophers has certainly bitten me in the butt before, but why not support a group of kids/coaches who are busting their butts to salvage an NCAA bid/season that most people (including myself) had written off when Mbakwe went down? We'll undoubtedly have differing views, but until the season is completely over, give this team some support! Let's go, Gophs!

I'm not a fan of the wait and see approach. I just think it hurts recruiting and the program in general. Either the school is behind him or they're not. If they don't believe he is the guy, then its time to move on. If they feel he is the right man for the job, then extend him.

GophersInIowa said:
I'm not a fan of the wait and see approach. I just think it hurts recruiting and the program in general. Either the school is behind him or they're not. If they don't believe he is the guy, then its time to move on. If they feel he is the right man for the job, then extend him.

I think, and depending on how coach Smith feels, you lower his base salary and give him incentives for accomplishing certain things. X amount for making the tourney, winning tourney games, games above .500, etc.

I think, and depending on how coach Smith feels, you lower his base salary and give him incentives for accomplishing certain things. X amount for making the tourney, winning tourney games, games above .500, etc.

I agree. I am pretty disheartened by his performance thus far, but I would like to see what this year's group of players can do with another year of experience, a healthy Mo, and possibly Rodney and Trevor both back (might be dreaming on those two). By next season, most of the departures that people use as an excuse to give Tubby a pass will be players who would have graduated anyway (Nolen, Colton, Devoe, Mbakwe all would have been gone by the end of this season), and he will have had multiple years with which to replace/plan around Cobbs and White's departures. I would support an extension if it had a low base salary, a low buyout clause, and would love to see heavy incentives because I have no qualms with money following success.

Top Bottom